Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may recall, I did the DIY-shortening-the-MT-shifter mod several months back. I installed the CT SS, as well as shortening the shifter by 3/4." However, something about that mod is now bothering me.

I had not taken into account that the shift boot is now a bit more "crammed" down now, and it looks sort of awkward. I'm hoping to either re-stitch the shift boot somehow to make it shorter, or perhaps make a new boot, or even fab in an OE boot form another vehicle. The re-stitching seems a bit too involved for my tastes, and I'm also not too keen of the distasteful-looking vinyl.

I would appreciate any and all opinions on this. TIA!

(will post pictures later tonight or tomorrow so you have an idea of what I'm talking about)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok here is something worth a shot. My buddy tore his stitches towards the top of his shifter. So I pulled the knob and covers surrounding the shifter. Unbolt the ring that holds the boot down. Pull the boot inside out and with it facing up throw a really small ziptie at the desired lenght then reinstall everything back and massage the material when you install the knob. If done correctly it will look factory,take about 15 minutes and if you decide to put an OEM shifter back in you wont have to replace the boot again.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, kramen. Yea, I sort of don't want to DIY this. I've done some stitch work in the past, and it's very difficult to get a perfectly straight line.

rccardude909 said:
Redlinegoods.com =)

I believe they do custom shift boots. I protoyped their oem boot. My pics are on their webiste.
is this your car?:

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OverdoingIT said:
Ok here is something worth a shot. My buddy tore his stitches towards the top of his shifter. So I pulled the knob and covers surrounding the shifter. Unbolt the ring that holds the boot down. Pull the boot inside out and with it facing up throw a really small ziptie at the desired lenght then reinstall everything back and massage the material when you install the knob. If done correctly it will look factory,take about 15 minutes and if you decide to put an OEM shifter back in you wont have to replace the boot again.
Thanks. Interesting idea, but I don't think this will work for our shift boots. There is actually a ring attached to the end of the shift boot, such that the boot actually snaps INTO the shifter.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah it is. Mines stock height but I'm just saying they make custom ones I think. You can call em up and tell them to make it shorter.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Price range? I'm guessing it'll be over a bill, and I'm just not ready to spend that kind of money on a SHIFT BOOT, you know? ;D

·
Registered
255 Posts
i didnt pay for it but i believe they're around 50. Any color, any stitch. Its really high quality. Looks way nicer than the stock one. And I got the stitching to match my razo shift knob :D

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just looked it up, it's actually $40 + tax and shipping. I'd totally go for it if it wasn't so tall. Perhaps I should contact them about doing something custom.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
hi wong

i'm not sure if this would work, but may be worth a try.
remove the staples that connect the leather boot to the plastic inner trim. then evenly pull the leather down as much as possible. fold the excess leather around the plastic inner trim and staple the leather back to the plastic trim.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HEY! That's a great idea! I think I will try that next weekend. I wonder how much slack I'd be able to pull up though, since the boot starts tapering almost immediately.

Thanks! I'll update next weekend

1 - 13 of 13 Posts