Accord V6 Forum banner

Rear signals to brake mod question

783 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  sumptimwong 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone with a coupe modified their rear signals to double as additional brake lights? What I want to do is make the signals light up when I apply the brakes, but wish to retain their signaling function. Is this possible, and how can it be accomplished??

#4 ·
its not dangerous, lots of trucks have this because they have small tailights, you would probably have to use some sort of relay so that when you push both brake and signal, the signal side will blink while hte other side will stay on

just make sure you dont make a short in your electrical system

#5 ·
thought about it some more, and this SHOULD be very simple, requiring no additional hardware (besides some wire, tape, connectors).

the following directions assume that both the turn signal (+) and brake (+) can be used as floating grounds, which means that they act as grounds when they accept an inverse voltage. if not, then this wont work. if so, then it will work just the way u want

(1) cut the ground wire for your turn signal. note: make sure u CUT the wire apart COMPLETELY. do not "tap into" it.
(2) on the BULB side of the cut, attach a new wire
(3) run the new wire to your brake (+) wire, and splice it in

and thats it. all you're basically doing is replacing the turn bulb's ground wire with a hot wire from the brake light.

#6 ·
sumptimwong: said:
the following directions assume that both the turn signal (+) and brake (+) can be used as floating grounds, which means that they act as grounds when they accept an inverse voltage. if not, then this wont work. if so, then it will work just the way u want

(1) cut the ground wire for your turn signal. note: make sure u CUT the wire apart COMPLETELY. do not "tap into" it.
(2) on the BULB side of the cut, attach a new wire
(3) run the new wire to your brake (+) wire, and splice it in

and thats it. all you're basically doing is replacing the turn bulb's ground wire with a hot wire from the brake light.
Thanks for taking the time to think this through. I will try to do the mod in the coming week and let everyone know how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.