Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
wah?
973 Posts
um i dont think we need any rear strut bars. its actually already linked by the frame. you see hatchbacks like the eg,ek civic and rsx have them because the struts dont attach to a beam like ours.

·
Formerly EPS Sniper
762 Posts
That would be correct ^^

From what I've heard, though, there is still a VERY minor chance of flex that can occur when a high amount of force is being fed through the suspension.

Regarding fitment, there are two users on here that have the 98-02 Accord rear lower brace. To install it takes a bit of finessing to get the bar behind the sway bar, then the two very large bolts that go through it. Make sure to mark the position of those bolts and all relative parts to possibly avoid an alignment.

Why should you get this brace? You might feel a BIT more tightness in the rear, but it is more for rear end bling. Civics and Integras are known for really showing off these bars in the back. For our cars it's a bit less obvious, but still prominent enough to warrant the 40 dollar investment.

Long story short, buy the 98-02 Accord bar if you want some rear end bling.

·
The Glory
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i figured it wouldnt make that much of a diff. so should i get that one that i posted? and should i go with a comptech sway bar or an original TL sway?

·
Formerly EPS Sniper
762 Posts
I think the one you posted is fine. As long as it's for a 98-02 Accord you should be good. I know that DC sports, OBX, and Megan Racing make them as well.

Regarding the sway bar, I say do the TL rear sway. It's MUCH cheaper and believe me-going from 14-20 is a huge difference. 20-22 won't be a big change and isn't enough to warrant the higher cost.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think the one you posted is fine. As long as it's for a 98-02 Accord you should be good. I know that DC sports, OBX, and Megan Racing make them as well.

Regarding the sway bar, I say do the TL rear sway. It's MUCH cheaper and believe me-going from 14-20 is a huge difference. 20-22 won't be a big change and isn't enough to warrant the higher cost.
Having just swaped to the TL rear-sway, I can say this, the rear-sway that comes on our cars feels like a TV antenna once you've held the TL one.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
um i dont think we need any rear strut bars. its actually already linked by the frame. you see hatchbacks like the eg,ek civic and rsx have them because the struts dont attach to a beam like ours.
Yeah, this is just like my Corolla. I saw that all the Civic and Integy drivers had them, so I got one for my car. When I went to have it installed, the mechanic and I were both puzzled why the damn thing was so short. Both of the lower arm-like things returning from the back wheels in toward the car ended up on a thick beam, their attachment points were only like 1-3 inches apart. So we put it on anyways. I mean, there was some extra thread on the bolts, so why not put it on? In the end, I had something shiny on the underside of my car, yay!

·
Formerly EPS Sniper
762 Posts
For the sway bar, get the TL one. It's the big bar that you won't see that makes a nice difference in handling.

Honda never made a lower tie bar for our car. Aftermarket companies, however, have and they are a nice way to make your car look a bit more "serious" from the back.

1,221 Posts
Yeah, this is just like my Corolla. I saw that all the Civic and Integy drivers had them, so I got one for my car. When I went to have it installed, the mechanic and I were both puzzled why the damn thing was so short. Both of the lower arm-like things returning from the back wheels in toward the car ended up on a thick beam, their attachment points were only like 1-3 inches apart. So we put it on anyways. I mean, there was some extra thread on the bolts, so why not put it on? In the end, I had something shiny on the underside of my car, yay!
pic?

·
Formerly EPS Sniper
762 Posts
This image kind of illustrates why a Civic benefits more from the bar than we do:

Once I get my Legend calipers on, I might start looking for one of these babies.

·
User #4002
1,283 Posts
This image kind of illustrates why a Civic benefits more from the bar than we do:

Once I get my Legend calipers on, I might start looking for one of these babies.
they sometime use an ASR subframe brace, to keep the subframe from ripping because too weak to handle swaybars bigger than 15mm (don't quote me).

·
Mirage Representative
2,581 Posts
so the 98-02 rear strut bar works on the 03's??
You need to check the bolt pattern on the rear strut towers on both 6th and 7th gens before you do it to make sure the brackets fit. When I did the rear strut bar for my SC2, I took my friend's Civic rear bar because it was longer than the extra front bar I bought for the SC2, and just bought the custom brackets made for it. All you need are brackets, a bar long enough, and some nuts. If the 6th Gen bolt pattern matches, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work on the 7th Gen, other than clearance?

Here's how you're probably going to have to do yours. Expect to do some cutting. http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=87535

Another thing to think about is if the 6th Generation ones would fit, don't you think that they would be selling them as 7th Generation parts on eBay as well?

·
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel
6,808 Posts
i think we all are talkin about the lower tie bars..or at least i was.. but that bar u made looks sick.. do u mind makin me one?

·
Mirage Representative
2,581 Posts
Lower tie bars are way easy, so as long as you have the same suspension setup. I'd have one on my SC2 if it were possible, but the rear suspension is different. Anyway, all you need are the bracket hinges, and a bar and bolts. Unless they changed the 7th Gen rear suspension type, all that might be needed is that the extension bolts be extended out a bit further (I believe the 7th generation is a little wider). Here's one right here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04-05-06-07-ACCORD-REAR-LOWER-CARBON-TIE-STRUT-BAR_W0QQitemZ230175548309QQihZ013QQcategoryZ33591QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Formerly EPS Sniper
762 Posts
Just to clear up any confusion, there are NO rear strut tower bars for the 03-07 Accord. A strut tower bar connects the top of the struts to one another like in the engine bay. There is physically no room to connect the tops of the rear strut assemblies together.

The product in question is called the "rear lower tie bar." The 98-02 Accord rear lower tie bar has been documented to work on the 7th gen Accord. The 6th gen Accord's rear suspension is very similar to the 7th gen, making the fit pretty good.

In conclusion:

Rear sway bar: 04-07 TL 6MT (20 MM), Comptech (22 MM), Neuspeed, etc.
Rear lower tie bar: The one in the eBay auction referenced above, DC Sports, OBX, or Megan. This should be for a 98-02 Accord and will fit the 7th gen.
Rear strut tower brace: Does not exist. The tops of the rear struts are connected to a solid piece of metal that runs the width of the back seat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts