Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Red LED Climate Control (56k, think twice.)

So I started my red LED conversion today, hopefully I will finish it by next semester. I enlisted the help of a professional solder"er" (if there is such a thing). She works on circuit boards the size of my thumb, so this was a breeze for her. Anyways, here are pics, keep in mind that the pictures don't do the climate control justice. The color is a deeper red in person.

I'm thinking about changing the clock and A/C LCDs to hyper white. The red is a little dull, it isn't bad, but I think a nice hyper white LED would contrast nicely. Also, I am going to do the indicator buttons in white, too. Next on the list is the gauges; I am going to stuff about 25 LEDs in there... still not sure how though.

Leave me some feedback, let me know what you think.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
robbyx_209[9] said:
red looks wicked.. but yea you should try hyper white, nice and bright :)
I have the cruise control button done in red, but the indicator lights is white, it looks nice. When I reinstall it I will post some pics. My only concern with the "hyper white" is that sometimes it appears light blue... Nevertheless, next week, or sometime after I will do some experimenting. I was thinking hyper white for the gauges and red odometer and shift light LEDs....

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cruise control and sunroof buttons are done:

Red odometer:

I don't mean to discourage anyone, but this install was hard. Like I said before, I actually got some help from someone who has a lot of experience soldering. The parts are tiny, the soldering joints are even smaller.

Parts:

Joints:

But the nice thing is that this is a cheap mod if you can pull it off. Just buy the LEDs in a pack of 50 off ebay ($10 shipped) buy some 471 resistors ($10 shipped) and some 26 gauge bus cable (S3 Radioshack), and your are set. As I finish up the rest of my interior I will keep updating. I still have to do the gauges, the shift lights and the shifter wedge...

Sorry the pictures in the car are fuzzy, it is like 15 degrees out, I couldn't stop shivering!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DarkSideAccord said:
looks evil! i love ur work.. very clean.... only thing i'd change is the odometer light... prob white is better than red...btw, u have an alpine 9847 HU? tht's the same one i have :D
Thanks man, it has taken a few months of practice to get this soldering thing down... I still suck at it though. You are totally right about the red odometer. Once I put red LEDs in the gauges, I will change out the odometer to a hyper white LED (hopefully it shows up hyper white!). My headunit is actually a CDA 9831, it is an older model, I have had it for a few years.... I have some plans for the head unit too... :devil:

·
Shes like the wind
1,094 Posts
i just finished the same thing a few weeks ago, but in blue.

did you try bending the led 45 degree, aiming it directly at the disfusser (spelling) and taking out the filters??
try it out, it will make it brighter.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
xi0utlawstarix said:
i just finished the same thing a few weeks ago, but in blue.

did you try bending the led 45 degree, aiming it directly at the disfusser (spelling) and taking out the filters??
try it out, it will make it brighter.
I shaved down each of the LEDs, and for the cruise and sunroof buttons and the clock I "aimed" the LEDs. I bent them at about a 45, and then directed the LEDs up or down as needed. I also removed the blue filters from the A/C unit and the clock, too. But, I left the clear difusser in the A/C unit. I think the A/C and clock LCDs are a little dim just because the color I used.

I was taking a look at the gauge cluster today, and there seems to be similar clear diffusers in there, too. I will have take a closer look next week...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I meant to ask, can someone with stock gauges (with orange needles preferably ), ac and cruise/sunroof buttons post up pics. I forgot to take "before" pictures... I know, I'm dumb... Thanks in advance!

·
v not some model, my girl
5,806 Posts
i have a stock shot of my dash board except theres 1 problem, my rpm needle and gauge is dim, and my sunroof button and clock are out........ :banghead:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I did my conversion to all blue, after about 6 months I started having flickering issues with my climate, took it out to take a look and I lost one of bulbs under my seat somehow, spent an hour+ looking for it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
btw, those are nice joints. It was my first real soldering job, I think I did alright, my joints arent quite as tight as yours though.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
peoples said:
btw, those are nice joints. It was my first real soldering job, I think I did alright, my joints arent quite as tight as yours though.
Thanks man, like I said, months of practice. About the flickering, what did you do to fix it? I think there has to be some way to secure the solder and resistors on the bulb holder. Maybe melt some shrink wrap on the bottom of the bulb holder?

99v6sedan said:
i have a stock shot of my dash board except theres 1 problem, my rpm needle and gauge is dim, and my sunroof button and clock are out........ :banghead:
Go down to Honda and pick up some new bulbs, clock is like $3, not sure about the sunroof, probably about $3, too. Ues the how-to guides on ledautomotive.com to install. OR take this oppurtunity to try LEDs if you want.

On another note... I turned on my parking lights today, and when the LEDs lit up it was kind of a orangy pink in the day time: not cool. As good as they look at night, I am disappointed with how they look in the day. No more day time parking lights for me :p Or I can figure out how to turn on the parking lights without the interior lights...

·
Registered
165 Posts
i didnt fix it....i dropped the bulb and lot it.....that was my solution :)

notice the second climate control row is not lit

·
Shes like the wind
1,094 Posts

used double sided taped to hold the resistor in place while soldering, make everything so easy.

i got 30 471 resistors(2 different size) under 8 bucks :D

heres mine: :D

clock with filter
climate control with no filter

1 - 20 of 48 Posts