Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
1quick240
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on another thread we had been talking about removing the cats in the engine bay. today i went down to a local shop and got an estimate for custom downpipes(removal of the cats in the engine bay), j-pipes and true dual exhaust. The shop said that they would charge me 650 for all of this and two flex pipes and also making the flanges to fit the place where the cats go. Now he said the only problem that he would see, is that i would have no back pressure at all and that my car may start to malfunction. Now i know that might be a problem if the o2 sensors start to mess up or read things wrong. Now some one said that the only ones that are important are the one on top of cat. The other two i can buy those things two kill the o2 or to make it think everything is okay. Now i want input from you guys. Also he said that if i have no back pressure i mess up a valve. He said this because that is what happend to one of his clients?!?!?

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
having no backpressure will mess up the exhaust gases leaving the cylinders. however the best person to talk to this about is sick6speed who has tru duals.

·
1quick240
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know on his setup he left the cats in the enigine bay. but then in his video he states that he has a 3 inch downpipe coming out of each bank of cylinders. http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52191&page=1
First off, I am really happy that all of you like what I have done! I think that it came out great. The craftsmanship is there and the design enginering is there too! I had this done at Labree Motorsports in Canoga Park. They fabricate all kinds of special systems. I have seen some of there work and it always looks amazing. They really put a lot of time and thought in what they do. He came up with the idea of a full true dual exhaust system, because of course I was asking him about making me a custom j-pipe. Of course I agreed on the crazy idea. The install began and it took four days. Let me start off with the cats, the two on the manifolds were left intact. Removing them would cause some CEL's. Which nobody wants. The third one underneath the car with no o2 sensor was ditched. Which I had the high flow one from e-bay. (Hint Hint!) The tubes off each cat on both sides of the v6 are 2.5 inches and they are equal lenth runners to the flex joint. The reason why one is really angled is because the flange off the cat has the studs in a position that will not let you go straight back with the down pipe. There would be no way to get it off and on and it wouldn't be equal length. So he had to make it like the factory angled one which I think came out beautifully. He used flex joints in the system so it would handle all the abuse I could give it. Then ran 2 1/4" inch pipe from the fllex joints down to the resonators and to the exhaust mufflers. It was all ceramic coated as well. Whew! I am running the Tanabe TUN404's for the mufflers and they look and sound real good. As for the sound. I think that it is way to loud but the performance definetly makes up for it! As for the performance gain I am sorry that I didn't do a before and after dyno but I will be doing a tuning session soon with the car and will post it asap. It feels way more responsive in the mid to upper end of the rpm is CRAZY. I did lose a little low end but nothing bad. I am way intrested to in finding out what this car can put down. Oh! as for the price it wasn't to steep, but he is also my buddy so, I got the good buddy discount! It came to 750 with no mufflers. He might kill me for saying this! Anyways i will keep you all updated! Let me know if you have anymore questions??? I will see everybody at the J-town show, Come on evrybody lets GO!

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
pch said:
on another thread we had been talking about removing the cats in the engine bay. today i went down to a local shop and got an estimate for custom downpipes(removal of the cats in the engine bay), j-pipes and true dual exhaust. The shop said that they would charge me 650 for all of this and two flex pipes and also making the flanges to fit the place where the cats go. Now he said the only problem that he would see, is that i would have no back pressure at all and that my car may start to malfunction. Now i know that might be a problem if the o2 sensors start to mess up or read things wrong. Now some one said that the only ones that are important are the one on top of cat. The other two i can buy those things two kill the o2 or to make it think everything is okay. Now i want input from you guys. Also he said that if i have no back pressure i mess up a valve. He said this because that is what happend to one of his clients?!?!?

I think you need to do more research. If you remove the 2 cats on the engine your car will have a nice check engine light and will start running rich.
the only cat you can remove is the 3rd cat under the car.

·
cunning linguist
984 Posts
If you put on the O2 eliminators you wont have an engine light. And you are right about the 1st O2 being the only one to adjust the mixture.

As to the backpressure thing, I wouldn't worry about it. If you had 3" from both sides you would notice a decline in torque, but no valve issues. Maybe if you ran open headers, but even then...

I just dont know if it is worth all of the playing around, plus additional noise, cost etc for the couple of extra HP. Try it out and let us know though. :)

·
i<3 my P.O.S.
652 Posts
well i went to a shop and they wanted to charge me 1000 for everything for piping and 2 high flow cat and 2 flex pipe anybody know where they would do it cheaper ??????????

·
Banned
1,075 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
You have to have cats, just think of the trees....

·
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto
3,545 Posts
What color is the smoke? white, black?

And you can even see it yourself when driving?! Or did someone behind you tell you about it?

I've got an ebay 3rd cat test pipe sitting in my garage right now..... just waiting for a chance to put it on. :D

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
03LXV6Guy said:
What color is the smoke? white, black?

And you can even see it yourself when driving?! Or did someone behind you tell you about it?

I've got an ebay 3rd cat test pipe sitting in my garage right now..... just waiting for a chance to put it on. :D
I tried to get my car done but no shop will touch it

blah

·
Your Mom Drives a Honda
1,999 Posts
you have to know someone to get it done....better off trying to get one of the guys to do it for you on their time off under the table or something because most shops are not legally allowed to touch cats....but why doesn't someone do this...since the cat will be replaced by straight pipe and the cat just bolts into the section of pipe...take it off yourself....measure it and take it to a shop and tell them you need a section of pipe to match the length of your cat exactly with the same flanges on both ends...and then they can't say no because they aren't removing anything or putting anything on your car...just making a pipe that same length for you

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
the flanges are a ***** to get. they are odd shaped.

the smoke is faint and looks more like steam rising off the ground. i noticed it when i was loading stuff into my trunk.

·
Your Mom Drives a Honda
1,999 Posts
then i would just buy one of those el cheapo high flow cats and cut the flanges off them and have them welded on to a straight pipe...the pipe and weld coulnt cost more than 15-20 bucks so that is all done for like 60-70 bucks...sounds like a worthwhile investment to me

·
1quick240
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
those are some messed up trees. I guess i really don't have to worry about trees in arizona, just the cacti. lol.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts