Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just removed my resonator assembly from the airbox down. HUGE improvement in throttle response and decent improvement in sound. Does anyone else think that that thing is exceptionally bizzare looking? What's with the noodley thing? Is that just to silence the sucking sound?

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
copetecu said:
Just removed my resonator assembly from the airbox down. HUGE improvement in throttle response and decent improvement in sound. Does anyone else think that that thing is exceptionally bizzare looking? What's with the noodley thing? Is that just to silence the sucking sound?
Well when I removed mine off of my 6th gen Accord and replaced it with ducting :p (for my ram air set-up) it now makes this humming sound. So the resonator I believe is supposed to get rid of any annoying sounds stock, so that more people would want to buy it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The resonance chambers are there to create pressure waves that help fill the combustion chambers at low RPMs. They don't usually affect high RPM power, but increase low RPM torque.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what a resonance intake manifold (on porsches and the nsx) does but I don't think the plastic box can passively create anything...Anyone else?

·
Registered
39 Posts
copetecu said:
That's what a resonance intake manifold (on porsches and the nsx) does but I don't think the plastic box can passively create anything...Anyone else?
Go look at a 1st gen Miata. They have two of these chambers in the plastic intake system- one before the air filter/box, and one about halfway to the throttle body. There are dynos that show a power loss when they are removed.

·
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto
3,545 Posts
copetecu said:
I agree. The resonator in the intake assembly is there to minimize/cancel out some of the intake noises that Honda believes most of their Accord buyers don't want to hear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tuned intake tracts are not exclusive to Honda. Many manufacturers use them to fine tune the power band, or smooth out idiosyncrasies in a specific engine. If they simply wanted to quieten the engine down, they would install a thicker/denser filter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SlvrBllt said:
Tuned intake tracts are not exclusive to Honda. Many manufacturers use them to fine tune the power band, or smooth out idiosyncrasies in a specific engine. If they simply wanted to quieten the engine down, they would install a thicker/denser filter.
But then why would removing this whole tuned assembly and replacing it with a simple CAI increase power without changing the power band?

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
copetecu said:
But then why would removing this whole tuned assembly and replacing it with a simple CAI increase power without changing the power band?
Whole 'nother discussion, i'm afraid. short answer = CAI's can increase power, and drastically change the power band. Depends on the application.

·
Registered
39 Posts
copetecu said:
The increase in power comes from the less restrictive filter (because it doesn't filter as well). As far as the power band changing, that would be hard to quantify without an engine dyno.

·
Registered
39 Posts
copetecu said:
Explanation of resonators:

Resonators

"Note that all of these devices are for noise reduction, rather than intake volumetric efficiency tuning."
An absolute statement about a device used for multiple reasons makes me wonder where they found their technical editor.

I don't have time to find the original tech article, but here's a quick thread on the anti-resonance chambers used on the intake of the Miata.

Thread on chambers used to correct power dip

A more detailed explanation- note that when he mentions cancelling resonance, he's not referring to a sound, but rather the actual pressure wave that interferes with the intake air flow.

It has to do with the pressure wave created by the intake air that had been flowing smoothly into a cylinder suddenly coming up against a closed intake valve. That pressure wave then runs back through the intake tract and can interfere with the normal flow of air. At a certain RPM, based on the engine displacement and the length and volume of the intake tract, a presure waves will resonate with enough violence to restricting airflow. The (anti)resonance chamber in the stock intake tract absorbs the pressure waves before they cause problems, i.e. at a certain rpm the frequency just vibrates back and forth in the chamber without leaving.

The chamber is basically sized by the volume of one cylinder, the length and volume of the intake runners, and the target rpm to cancel out the worst resonance. Manifold design plays a big part in the effects of and rpm of the resonance but generally speaking, the larger the resonance chamber the lower the rpm responance it will cancel and the smaller the chamber the higher the rpm it will cancel.

It has been dyno proven to provide 4 ft lbs of torque from 3000-4000 rpm over not using one. If you cannot use the OEM piece then use the stand-alone unit from the 90-93

·
Registered
39 Posts
Accord_V6_400m said:
I wish we could get Stevtec to dig up some SAE papers on the Honda resonators, I think that would help us in understanding what the engineers were thinking.
It may be in this case they were used to cancel certain sounds. I just can't imagine this engine making any unpleasant noises on the intake side. :cool:

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
SlvrBllt said:
It may be in this case they were used to cancel certain sounds. I just can't imagine this engine making any unpleasant noises on the intake side. :cool:
To some people hearing the intake while crusing is not normal to them. On my intake set-up you can change the sound by carying the length of the ducting, but at idle it has a very distinctive humming sound which might annoy some people, just thought I would toss that in there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts