Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with painted rims? Right now, as much as I would like new rims, I can't afford them. So instead I was thinking that I could just paint them (powder-coat, does that sound right?) what ever color I want (gunmetal) for now and then just get new ones later. I don't think that the stock EX ones are that bad looking so I can live with it. Soo what do you think? Should I paint or wait?

·
Old Member
8,915 Posts
i painted my winter rims with duplicolor wheel paint its been holding up pretty good for the winter

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
looks like you got just a "little" paint on your tires. lol

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Powdercoating and painting your wheels are two different procedures. With powdercoating the wheel needs to be sandblasted to remove all dirt and impurities to give it a smooth surface. From there the the item is electrically charged up and they spray it with a powder flakes to make it adhere to the wheel. Finally its thrown in an oven to let bake the powder into the metal. In the end the surface will look really smooth and should hold up much better then painting the wheels in the long run while retaining a glossy appearance.

·
Butta
837 Posts
CRV_33 said:
Powdercoating and painting your wheels are two different procedures. With powdercoating the wheel needs to be sandblasted to remove all dirt and impurities to give it a smooth surface. From there the the item is electrically charged up and they spray it with a powder flakes to make it adhere to the wheel. Finally its thrown in an oven to let bake the powder into the metal. In the end the surface will look really smooth and should hold up much better then painting the wheels in the long run while retaining a glossy appearance.
Also note that painting the wheels yourself will only cost max 20-25 bucks, opposed to podercoating which can cost 200 bucks or more.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well if you want to paint them and you want a nice clean smooth finish, that will hold up through freezing temps and not to mention scorching heat, then you HAVE to prep them. That means sanding down evry inch with 2000 grit sand paper until there is no glossines at all. Then, washing the wheels with something like simple green. Then put on some latex gloves so you wont put oil on them, and degrease the whole rim. This will defintely take some time, but its the only way they will last a good time, and keep there finish. Plus, you need to do lots of coats because you dont want little spots from rock chips. But yeah, I did mine in the summer, I did evrything I said up top, and I put at least 7 coats of paint, and 3 coats of clear, and let dry in between each one. Oh, and I had the local tire shop break the first bead of the tire so I can tape it up better. But yeah, after all the hard work, and TWO DAYS, YES TWO DAYS, I have decent looking rims, with a nice finish that no one believes I painted myself. Heres some pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
has anyone done there 01-02 ex rims? and what color would look good to paint those rims with the emerald pearl ...

·
Registered
887 Posts
if you're concerned about the money.. then i'd say paint them for now.. and depends what color your car is.. and just to be safe i'd black them out.. or for something crazy neon your wheels haha

·
Registered
683 Posts
IrfanM96 said:
has anyone done there 01-02 ex rims? and what color would look good to paint those rims with the emerald pearl ...
are you lookin for this i got them on my car right now i just cant find my digi cam

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for taking that pic... now I know what EX rims lok like in black

I have a silver 02 ex coupe, so I was thinking black would go good with it. I'll paint the rims over the summer when I have more time (and money).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts