Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a question about RMS. I was always under the impression that RMS was how many watts you could put to a speaker and it not blow up. A guy at a audio shop just told me that you could run anywhere between RMS and Peak and be ok. And RMS was the lowest amount you needed to put to the speaker. Can someone clear this up with me?

BTW we were talking about Alpine Type R 5 1/4 componets>

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
You want to keep the power as close to the RMS rating of the speaker as possible. This will ENSURE you do not blow the speakers. Technically, you can run above the RMS rating, but it is better for the speaker life not to. Going over the RMS rating will put the speaker that much closer to the PEAK power handeling rating which it can endure, but only for a VERy shrt period of time.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought, but if I put 50 RMS to where it calls for 40 RMS it should be ok?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
160W peak is what the box says.
And the 6x9's are 50watts with 120W peak.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Crutchfield.com has a lot of good info you can use. Tells a lot about peak and rms. I usually use my speakers up to the rms. Anything over and the speakers will start so sound bad. Like it's straining to play.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
160W peak is what the box says.
And the 6x9's are 50watts with 120W peak.
With that said, then you could run UPTO about 60 watts or so.
With that kind of peak rating you will be FINE.

If you start getting to about 75 watts or so, then you are running TOO much POWER.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, thanks guys. I think I'm going to print out the glossary from Crutchfield and take it to that guy tomorrow. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts