Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey -

Well the inevitable happened for me. As most of you know Central and Southern New Jersey is Deer Country. Well here's my story of how I ran into a deer and the damage it caused. The pictures are below, I took some shots of the deer not to celebrate or disrespect its unfortuniate death but instead as a warning and caution for everyone .. And also incase I needed proof for insurance reasons.

Thursday night at 11:59pm my pager went off for a townhouse resident smoke inside and a smell of something burning. I rushed to put my clothes on, and grabbed my wallet, cell phone and car keys. I ran downstairs and into the garage and hopped into my car and pulled out of the garage and drove down the driveway. As I pulled out of my driveway and update was sent out that the home owner said she had smelled something like firecrackers burning or road flares. I turned on my storbe lights and my dash light and continued on. I just made a right turn onto Crine Rd off of my street. It was a dark road with an occasional street lamp. On the left side is a brand new estate neighborhood being built with sand all over the place... some of it blowing onto the street. On the right, woods, and deep in the woods was this old dilipitated mansion, owned by the owners of a swimming pool installing company. The road was full of pot holes and uneven road tar. It wasn't the best road for speeding, especially a cautious driver like me that just made a 1200 dollar investment on some new 18's. I sped up to about 50mph when all of a sudden out of the left side of my eyes I saw this huge thing jump right at my car. It was as if someone threw some huge thing right at my car from the woods as I was driving by. I had hardly 1/2 a milli second to take any action. My heart jumped. I thought it was a bum or even worse a kid riding his/her bike late at night. I slammed on the brakes and yanked the e-brake. Chirp chirp(ABS Kicking in) BOOM! screeeeeeeeeeeetch (as I yanked the e-brake) THUD...

The car came to a screetching hault. All of my stuff on the passenger seat flew forward. I peeled my fingers off the steering wheel. While I cursed to myself. I must of used every curse word in English and Urdu (Pakistani Dialect pretty much same thing as Hindi) I knew. Scared to death. Unsure of what I hit I kicked open my driver side door, and stepped out of the car. Holding onto the car ready to collapse if I saw a human body, I walked towards the back. About 10 feet behind my car I saw the poor deer. Laying there in the middle of the street. I quickly ran back to my car and opened my glove box. Pulled out my latex gloves, sadly I was almost giddy and joyful that it wasn't a human. I went to the deer and checked for a pulse. Nothing. No breathing. No noise. Silence. The poor thing must of died right on impact or litterly a second after...

My car made contact with the deer right at the front of my front left quater panel, right above the headlight. My front right wheel ran over the deer aswell. The damage isn't that bad at all, considering some of the deer accidents I've seen. I was very fortuniate that I had control of the car, and no further damage happened to the car or me. It was terrible thing. Luckily my fire company's insurance will be covering this incident since I was responding to a fire alarm.

I need a new front bumper, new headlight, new foglight, new front passenger side quater panel, and new wheel-well lining. Along with that they have to repaint the hood, and the whole side of the car to blend everything. My steering wheel wobbles a little a 65 to 70 mph, so the rims need to be rebalanced and the alignment is a little messed up now after the accident. I've gotten a few estimates lowest being $1300 and highest being $1800. The car is still driveable which is a good thing.

Well I hope this doesn't happen to anyone and if it has already I hope you are safe and everything worked out. I'll keep you guys posted and have more pics when the repairs are complete.

·
Registered
170 Posts
By the looks of it, I think you might have to only replace your bumper and your right wheel fender. That shouldn't cost much to fix. That repair should cost you around 500.

·
Official V6P Retro Whore
3,899 Posts
Not to be morbid or anything, but you should have thrown the deer on your hood and sold it to some local yahoos for $$ to help repair your ride :D Deer meat goes for $$ these days :D

...jk of course.

just be thankful it wasn't a human and your car or you didn't suffer that much. Its also cool that the deer died on impact. If a deer was crying in pain, I don't know what I'd do.

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
A bum !!! ROFL That would've been an awesome story. Good luck with everything, at least your work will cover it, and not your insurance. Get some blackhoused lights in lieu of OEM.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
allah ka shukar karo.

wonder if your family told you to say two naafils shukrana.

in anycase you are really lucky to have hit a deer that size, and walk away with only that much damage. guess it speaks to some degree of the accords slippery design.

you may want to get your suspension checked to make sure that is ok, and i dont just mean alignment. take a close look at the shock housing and mountings. vibration at 65-70 could be more serious than just wheel balancing.

anycase glad to hear you are ok and everything is covered.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey --

as far as the reapairs go, the headlight is busted on the bottom inside so that's going to need to get replaced and the fog light lense is cracked so that'll need to be replaced as well... as far as the bumper and quater panel, the bumper needs to be replaced cuz those little snapps that hold it in under the head light and right by the quater panel are all broken so it doesn't stay. Also the damage is too excessive to bondo it. Especially since I'm not paying for it I'm thinking I'd rather just have the bumper replaced and same with the quater panel. It's easier and quicker! I forgot to mention def. got some scuff marks on the wheel too, and a deep scratch on the lip.

You know I was talking to the po-po in my town they were telling me on average they have about 4 to 5 accidents involving deers a week! I guess that happens tho when you got big home builders taking over their grazing grounds and sh*t!

Anyways thanks everyone for the thoughts and well wishes, btw my mom was def. like its time to start cracking out the jaam-naaz and start saying namaaz!

habib!

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
habibnazir said:
hey --

Anyways thanks everyone for the thoughts and well wishes, btw my mom was def. like its time to start cracking out the jaam-naaz and start saying namaaz!

habib!
tsk tsk tsk :nono: ..jaaaN-e-maaz.. :p :nono:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
damn that sux my brother also hit a deer this weekend completely fcuked up the rental's hood and it was a jag. So I'm glad that you are okay and hopefully you will have your car back to new real soon.

·
Registered
760 Posts
habibnazir said:
I slammed on the brakes and yanked the e-brake. Chirp chirp(ABS Kicking in) BOOM! screeeeeeeeeeeetch (as I yanked the e-brake) THUD...
Doesn't the e-brake nullify the ABS system? That would increase your stopping distance since a locked wheel has less effective grip.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
actually ABS increasing stopping distance... the whole purpose of ABS is so that when you slam the breaks by letting the wheels keep spinning you can trun the car with control

when you yank the ebrak you lock the wheels causing a static friction force beeing generated by the locked wheels and rubber contact with the ground...down side is that when the wheels are all locked up you can't control the car that well.

when you are going straight and only heading straight and need to stop as fast as possible ebrak is the best method but lots of downsides include wearing down tires, warping the rotors, wearing down the break pads etc. etc.

the chirping of the wheels was the ABS kicking in not allowing my wheels to fully lock up the screeeetch was when i yanked the ebrake and the wheels stopped spinning

·
Registered
760 Posts
habibnazir said:
when you yank the ebrak you lock the wheels causing a static friction force beeing generated by the locked wheels and rubber contact with the ground...down side is that when the wheels are all locked up you can't control the car that well.
So it's not a good idea unless you've experienced it before otherwise you might end up in a even worse situation than you might have been in. I can't see myself being forced to rely on that, I'd rather be able to maintain control and swerve.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts