Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
SSM_AV6-6
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, after a couple weeks, I finally received my HFPCs (had them ceramic coated; they don't keep ceramic finished items in stock), and had them installed today. My first impression was: yay, feels good driving around town without a clogged cat. And then I floored it at 2300 in third gear, and was quite impressed. The car put me back in the seat, and kept me there; not quite like the brute force of a V8, or a spooled turbo, but definitely NOT like an archetypal Honda. As for the sound, with an otherwise stock exhaust, I would liken it to the exact same result of putting an SRI or CAI on an otherwise stock car: silent while cruising, but just like a 250 hp car should sound during partial throttle acceleration, and then the engine jumps to life at WOT, like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Edit: now that the ECU has had about 125 miles to learn the newly freed exhaust flow, the car feels quite quick period, with gains throughout the entire powerband :)

BTW, to those wondering...after the third heat cycle, the catalyst CEL left, and never came back :) If you live in a visual inspection emissions state, I would recommend these, with maybe the stock heat shield attached.

Cliffs: low end torque was , top end is

·
346hp/300tq @ 4psi
3,014 Posts
You have to give it at least another 100+ miles for the ecu to adjust and really feel the gains. Wayyy back in the day I bought those infamous eshift procats, and wasn't impressed at all initially, but after about a week of driving I definitely noticed the HP increase ;) especially in top end .

Give it a few more days, even with your stock exhaust.

·
SSM_AV6-6
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not directly, but if you're handy enough to take those PITAs out, you could probably half ass the heatshields from the old cats onto the front and back of the new ones somehow, possibly welding the middle to the surface of the cat. I think the non-ceramic version would look fine like that, but obviously the ceramic surface would stick out like a sore thumb.

Just got back from a highway cruise to put some miles on her. Got back into town, and wow, after 120 miles, there is DEFINITELY a noticeable difference in acceleration. It's a shame I'm going to have to reset the computer, because the SOB P0420 code is still stored in the computer, I've been checking it every single time I drive the car.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm assuming you can still pass the sniff test with the RV6 HFPC? What about visual?

Can't wait til it's time to smog my car, 2 years of no inspection = 2 years to enjoy some good ol' highflow cats! :D

·
SSM_AV6-6
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
About emissions, probably will pass. Visual + ceramic = forget about it. The front one isn't all that visible, but assuming they actually look directly at it, it pops like I thought it would. nonceramic would be perfect, I don't even think you can really see enough down there to need heat shields. Plus, every two years you could just throw the front stock cat back on.

I would assume it will pass the sniff test as well. I did a bit of research on these at azine, since nobody here seems to have them, and nobody has had any emissions-related complaints whatsoever; they all love these. It's been 150 miles, and I still don't have any kind of CEL, and knowing our finicky ECU, that's a pretty good sign.

·
SSM_AV6-6
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I definitely plan on it. I will take it out to my secret spot, and should have a direct comparison to the car when it just had the intake. I had to reset the ECU to finally get the stored p0420 out of it so it will pass emissions, so it will be a couple days, but I will post a video :)

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I went with the PCDs to.save some.money...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but wouldn't the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust produce more gains for about the same price?

·
SSM_AV6-6
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A custom 2.5" or 3" exhaust would produce better gains, while still costing less than both. The precat deletes are cheaper still, and give a little more power. However, both options are irrelevant, as they do not replace the restrictive factory precats with high flow cats that will still pass most emissions and not screw the environment. I have had zero issues, no check engine lights, since using these. No nasty smell, no worrying about getting new o2 sims from richie because the ones that came with the PCDs were defective, etc.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I love the high flow pre cats. Notice the gains and meaner sound right away. I have it with the magnaflow catback and sounds great. Except when I'm riding it hard it will get a slight rasp at 3k. But not too bad. Definitely worth it, it was quite a task getting them installed though, lol

·
SSM_AV6-6
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's why I paid a small shop lol. If it wasn't 30 outside, I'd probably try to tackle it. At least now I know my JP install will be a total breeze, as all the nuts are brand new.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts