Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 v6 coupe that I share with my brother. We are planning to get another car either a G35 auto coupe or a Rx8 manual. I do not know much about rotary engines or even conventional engines. Just need some input. Thanks.

·
Registered
699 Posts
G35!!

I wish I could get a coupe, but just can't with the responsibilities I have. Best ride I've been in for a long time. Especially at the price. I liked it better than the 350Z.

Enjoy!

·
you gotta rub to dub!
1,126 Posts
2 completely different cars. If I had to choose, I would go with the G35 because of the power and looks. But from my experience with Rotary engines in past RX-7 models, you really have to keep up with the daily maintenance. But a lot of R&D went into the Renesis Rotary Engine so Im thinking its a lot better than its predecessors. But they did a pretty good job of getting 210 HP from a 1.3 liter engine. Too bad the torque is 70% of it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
But they did a pretty good job of getting 210 HP from a 1.3 liter engine.
they got 250 hp out of it in the manual.

One question though is the reason for the auto in the g35 because of the price?

I would rather have a manual car. Though from what I hear of the dynos of three rx-8 6 speeds the hp was only 175-185 at the wheels, but in the service manual it says that a new fuel map is used after 20k miles, which most likely will fix the power, because someone also did an a/f reading during the dyno and found it to run overly rich to protect the engine at high rpms. This info come from www.rx8forum.com

·
Car Enthusiast
1,088 Posts
Easy... G35!!! :D No question on that...
I really don't like the Mazda and its rotary engine. I've heard bad reviews about it and the torque is low for the car despite its high horsepower. You really need to rev up the engine to extract the power. I hope this helps. 'Congrats BTW...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Definitely G35! :)

The coupe looks better than the RX-8 (my subjective view), and it has way more torque as well.

And I think the RX-8 gas mileage is pretty bad for a car of its size and with so little torque. RX-8 owners have been posting mileages of 16-18mpg, which is even worse than the G35 and most V6 cars on the road!! I guess not everyone cares about gas mileage but it's something that I keep in mind :)

But get the 6MT G35 (with the brembos~!)

·
Registered
195 Posts
The RX8 will completely DEMOLISH the G35 in terms of handling. It may not seem like it has much power, but it is only slightly slower than the G35. Rotary engines specialize in revving very high. When you drive the car, you can just kick it at like 8k rpm and the engine wont mind it one bit. It is very easy to get 300+ hp with some port work on rotaries...

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
2 very different cars IMO.

In terms of looks, the G35 cpe wins. I really love the front of the RX8 but I can't stand the bubbly back. The G35 just has that classy sporty coupe styling :up2:

Power wise these are 2 very different cars, if you like lots of torque down low then the it's the G35. If you like to rev the engine to 9000rpm then the RX8 will do it for you.

Handling wise, the G35 handles well for a car that size, but the RX8 should handle better.

So it really depends what you are looking for.

Oh, a little heads up on the RX8. Guys have been dynoing their RX8's with extremely disappointing results. They're getting around 180whp for a 250hp (manual) car. :eek:

Read -> http://www.rx8forum.com/showthread.php?threadid=7920&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I was reading and they said it's due to a conservative fuel mapping and the regular fuel mapping doesn't change until you hit 20k miles :eek: that's a lot of miles to wait to get the full potential out of your purchase :down:

I was thinking of getting a G35 as the car after my accord, but then I thought, I want an S2000 :D who knows, not happening soon, so my mind will probably change again.

Here's why I love the front of the RX8 :drool:

How I would like my G35 to look

Whatever you choose it will be a nice car :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they got 250 hp out of it in the manual.

One question though is the reason for the auto in the g35 because of the price?

I would rather have a manual car. Though from what I hear of the dynos of three rx-8 6 speeds the hp was only 175-185 at the wheels, but in the service manual it says that a new fuel map is used after 20k miles, which most likely will fix the power, because someone also did an a/f reading during the dyno and found it to run overly rich to protect the engine at high rpms. This info come from www.rx8forum.com
Yea the auto is way cheaper then the manual by about 2000. Im leaning more towards the G35. The only reason I wouldn't want this car is because its marked up soo damn much. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
I myself have been deciding about these two vehicles. Those worrying about reliability of the Renesis shouldn't worry that much because the Renesis for one is NA. Mazda has too much banking on this project for it to flop. True the Rex lacks torque but 250 from 1.3 liter engine is still amazing. Another knock on the Rx-8 is the horrible gas mileage.The g35 is pimp if you got the money. The RX-8 for me is better in my price range. But definitely If I had the cash I'd get a G35.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hmm... actually, when driven correctly, the two cars have about the same acceleration curves in a straight line, and the rx8 will own the g35 in cornering. And don't worry about the rotary engine, since its N/A, it wont have any of the problems the old rotaries had, becuase those problems were caused by heat from the turbos. I would get the rx8 because it looks better, handles better, and is less common, while still seating 4, and accelerating the same.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Whey the heck would you want a g35 auto?

anyhoo- so maybe im going by the mag numbers here... But the rx-8 got timed faster on the 0-60 and 1/4 mile (if i remember correctly) than a g35 manual. A g35 auto would definitly be slower. The rx-8 It also pulled better on the skidpad methinks. The rx-8 is a beautiful car, in my mind better than the g35- but thats just my opinion.. I would go with the rx-8:cool:

·
Registered
330 Posts
did i mention the rx-8 has FOUR doors....... :woot: ...... yea sedans... maybe this is a new one of those freaky crossover vehicles

·
Registered
104 Posts
Guys, you really can't compare a rotary engine with a conventional engine. The Renesis engine is more like a 2.6 liter conventional engine due to how it operates and 250 hp out of 2.6 liters isn't that great.

I've never sat in a G35 but I heard the interior is cheap looking. It still looks awesome from the outside though. I'd get one of those Skyline badges for it. :D Hey, do the japanese get a GTR version of the new Skyline? Or are they getting the same naturally aspirated version that we get?

Phi :)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts