Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
J35 6Spd
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night I tore apart my s2000 cluster to build a new version with a smoother interface and increased functionality.

Here was the original product from my old thread:

It came out okay... but the fabrication of the bezel suffered from the extra displays for AFR and the accord mileage display at the top. I'm sure nexson could have made a beautiful bezel without a problem... but these components made the design tough for me to work with. Besides that, since the original color I painted it didnt flow at all with the dash I knew I would have to resand and paint it anyway. Instead I've decided to remake the entire thing.

Here's a quick sketch in MS paint:

The most noticeable changes are moving the AFR display and the accord odometer INTO the s2k cluster, replacing the spots of some of the indicators like check engine, door open, etc. those indicators willbe moved into the bezel in the grey areas between gauges. some indicators will remain in the s2k cluster (i didnt draw every indicator obviously)

I will also incorporate my remote display for my valentine one radar detector into the cluster. It will be completely unnoticeable until activated by radar.

Finally, the defi guages will be recessed into the fiberglassed bezel.. so they will be flush with it, and not extend out due to the lip around the gauge face.

Electronically, the cluster backlighting will be reworked with LEDs. instead of my old red/white scheme for the RPMs... I will have an "active" lighting system. a microchip will read the engine speed... and change the backlighting to yellow at around 5000 rpm and to red at 6000.

The wiring will be completely redone, reducing the number of plugs between the cluster and the accord from 7 (old design), down to 4.

Finally, I plan to incorporate the entire conversion box i made INTO the s2k cluster housing, eliminating the extra box.

this project will be completed by the end of summer when law school resumes. 3 1/2 months to go!

Progress pictures will start this weekend as I intend to keep on this project almost daily.

LEDs have been ordered and I am looking for a PIC programmer that can work with smaller chips than what I was using before.

Some pictures to start: May 10,2010:

Here is the s2k cluster disassembled almost completely, without actually desoldering the circuit boards:

Pictures of the cluster housing cut down.. it used to be about 30-40% thicker. The middle was also cut out to make way for the LED backlighting circuit board. So far, I've only cut this with a dremel, it has yet to be filed even and sanded smooth:

Note the large cutout at the bottom to accommodate the accord odometer:

Here is the circuit board that will be mounted to the back of the cluster and hold the backlighting and indicator LEDs. See the silver dots? those are where the LEDs will be placed

Finally.. the hole for the s2k odometer button is the perfect size for the accord selector knob.

UPDATE 5/23/2010
The LED backlight board is finished. Indicator lights have yet to be added. I got a piece of blank circuit board, spray painted it silver to increase reflection of the backlighting, and then placed three sets of 8 lights each- White, Orange, and Red. The backlight will change colors depending on the engine speed. Heres the backlight board and the wiring on the back. Note that the wiring still has a lot of LED leads to be clipped down and some electrical tape placed for extra insulation between connections:

Testing the LED backlighting: the diffuser plate I have right now is still the same 95 cent white plastic folder from staples. The LEDs appear bright enough to still light up the opaque material, but the real test will come when I test the cluster in the car in daylight. Still, the lights are brighter than the backlighting I had last time with the same diffuser plate. The lights for the speed display are NOT connected in these shots

White

White with NO diffuser:

Orange/Yellow

Red

Finally for tonight, I made the selector knob circuit board, to allow the knob to pass through one of the button holes in the cluster face:

UPDATE 5/28/2010
This update may not look big but let me assure you it took a lot of work and was one of the major reasons for redoing this cluster

Accord circuit board wiring is complete. Here were the previous versions of this:
version 1.0: bulky, unnecessary ground wires, direct connection to the s2k cluster so less flexibility with installation:

version 2.0: changed wires to 24 pin connectors, more flexibility, still unnecessary ground wires and many plugs:

version 3.0: two large plugs, one small plug. much easier, streamlined installation, stronger soldering connections:

Note: each time this was redone everything was completely desoldered and cleaned up for a fresh rewiring.

Next: The s2k cluster has 4 plugs gonig into it.
Version 1.0: STOCK s2k connections:

Since I am using the indicator lights from the accord board, the plugs had been reduced to two:
Version 2.0: Two plugs, note all of the unused wires of the two plugs still installed and taking up space:

Version 3.0: By taking apart the plugs, I cleanly removed all unused wires, reducing the ~20 wires down to the 8 pins that are used. I then connected the 15 pin connector that will plug into the accord circuit board harness. MUCH cleaner.. the unused wires I removed from the two plugs are sitting on the right side:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I liked the original design. But I guess looking at it everyday gets kinda boring.

·
Visionary
265 Posts
yeah, Phunctional, I believe the coupe has a slightly different cluster, though it doesn't necessarily mean the wiring is any different.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I want one too, hahahaha....

Nice project man, will be checking this as well...

·
J35 6Spd
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also does it matter about 4 door vs 2 door? i mean for the extra cluster that im going to be ripping apart.
there are MANY different versions of the cluster.. versions for AT with the D1-4 indicators, manual has no indicators for gear, versions with the VSA indicator, 2 door versions only have 2 red lines for the door open indicators whereas the 4dr version has 4.. 4cyl clusters will read the tach signal differently than the 6cyl version... etc.

although I have a coupe my spare cluster was a 4dr 2006 cluster.. so it has the extra two door lines are there. I also don't have a VSA light on it - it may have been a 4cyl cluster, but since I'm converting the tach signal myself directly from the ECU i'm not worried about that.

Also be aware that 2003-2005 clusters use a 30 pin connector and 2006-2007 use a 36 pin plug.

yeah, Phunctional, I believe the coupe has a slightly different cluster, though it doesn't necessarily mean the wiring is any different.
correct the wiring between the differnt types of clusters is identical. what is different is the programming in the processors, and the configurations and number of LEDs wired to the board.

·
-Gene
1,562 Posts
so what your saying is if the cluster that im retrofitting has a vsa light that i want to be operational i'd have to find a cluster that has a vsa indicator in it already? or was that what you were talking about when you said your pulling the signal from the ecu?

·
J35 6Spd
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so what your saying is if the cluster that im retrofitting has a vsa light that i want to be operational i'd have to find a cluster that has a vsa indicator in it already? or was that what you were talking about when you said your pulling the signal from the ecu?
correct, if you want a VSA indicator make sure the cluster you get has it. The cluster I got did not have the LED wired on the circuit board for VSA. I'm not sure if it was only missing the LED, or if the cluster's processor also didn't have the code needed to read the VSA signal.

The signals I'm pulling directly from the ECU are for vehicle speed, RPM/tachometer, and coolant temp.

·
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee
2,701 Posts
Definitely one of the coolest retrofits for the 7th gen. I loved the original version, I'm sure version 2 is going to be ever better!

·
Euro accord wannabe
1,130 Posts
o man that looks awesome! the 1st one was nice this is even better!

·
Pedal damn it
3,913 Posts
subscribed

·
J35 6Spd
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
which signals are you referring to? speedo, tach, and ect yes. something like the CEL light probably not.

fuel signal comes directly from the gas tank.
doors and trunk run through the multiplex units.

you CAN tap wires for all of the signals needed for the cluster yes. It'll require a lot of hunting. But even if you do, our accords are smart enough to know when the stock cluster is unplugged. The CEL comes on when the car knows the gauge cluster isn't plugged in.

Progress pics coming later

1 - 20 of 99 Posts