Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about how i could clean up the front end on my 7th gen when i came across the idea i've seen on several other cars. i was thinking about removing the center frame and the H logo, and then maybe putting some hex grille in there (the honeycomb shape, as opposed to the chicken wire diamond shape). i'd fill the lower opening on my sedan with the same grille mesh, after removing the plastic bars that span the opening. both of these inserts would be in black, on a silver sedan.

for the guys who have removed their bumpers, is it relatively simple to remove the upper frame? and how are the bars on the lower grille attached? basically, is my idea relatively feasible, or will it require too much ghetto rigging that will look like crap?

and for everyone to answer, how do you think this would look?

oh, and does anyone know which rear emblems are not bolted in? meaning i can remove them without having gaping holes?

thanks guys.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
on the accord, the center grille area has the H emblem, with a plastic frame going around the opening. the frame is the plastic dark grey/gunmetal thing that makes the border.

basically, it is this:

remove everything in the center grille area
remove everything in the lower grille area
fill both areas in with honeycomb mesh.

·
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto
3,545 Posts
oh, and does anyone know which rear emblems are not bolted in? meaning i can remove them without having gaping holes?
Well, none of them are actually bolted in...... but only the "H" on the trunk lid has pins, which would leave holes if removed. Not gaping holes, but (2) 1/4" or so holes. The "ACCORD", the "EX" or "LX", and the "V6" are just held on with double sided foam tape. They are easily de-badged.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, i understand the pins. i shaved the emblems on my old accord. the thing is, my old 4th gen had pins on the accord emblem as well, and i wasn't quite expecting it there. bondo is not fun to work with. so i didn't want to start pulling badges off without knowing which ones would leave holes.

any other opinions on the honeycomb mesh idea?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think it would look good, what you're talking about.
I wanna do something similar to mine too cuz I hate that piece with the "H" emblem in the front...

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think that would look pretty good, if you wanted to get rid of the little wing thing.

Personally, I think it would look pretty cool if someone made the wing out of carbon fiber, with or without the emblem. I think it would be a nice accent.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah. the sedan's dont have the wings, we have the circular ring. lucky us.

·
3,545 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, so the upper grille is just attached with a shytload of poprivets. unfortunately, the lower grille bars are part of the bumper, so no luck there.

no talking about the emblems, i'm done with those.

the hard part now is finding the honeycomb mesh. i've been to ebay, lowe's, homedepot, ace hardware. no luck anywhere. anyone know where i can pick up some hex mesh? come on, i know you guys want to do this too. where the hell does grille-tech buy their stock?

·
3,545 Posts
anyone know where i can pick up some hex mesh?
A metals distributor, like Tull, etc. Problem is they typically don't sell retail, and they sell in quantites too. What you need would be considered a piece of scrap to them. May be able to just slip the guy there a 10 or 20, and he might "give" you a piece, if you have a metals distributor nearby.

Also, McMaster-Carr sells stuff like that..... and you could get it by the piece from them (ie; 24" x 48", etc.).

·
Registered
44 Posts
the only emblem that would leave holes if removed would be the "H" all of the oother ones are 2 sided tape as far as the grill goes it is held in with 2 self tappers

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what do you have planned for the mugen style grille? do you have any prototypes that you're playing with right now trying to get the fitment right? i'm personally kind of putting this on hold, now that i've seen the prices on the hex mesh that i need.

keep us posted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts