Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really considering selling the 6 speed- I've definitely loved it over the last two years but I realize that there are other more important things that I could be putting that money towards (aka grad school), so I'd likely sell the Accord and pick up a late 90s compact 4 cylinder- maybe a Celica or something (any suggestions?). Saving money on gas would be nice too, even though I've been getting 24-25 MPG recently as I've used my lead foot less and less.

Anyway I thought I'd check in and see what people though about for a selling price- I'd definitely sell private, then start looking for a new car and drive around with the GF until I find a new ride.

I looked at KBB.com and my car is valued at $20,300 (2003 in excellent condition, 25k miles)- not bad! Honda's sure keep their value eh?

Mod wise I've added:
20% platinum tint all around
AEM V2
Comptech Rear Sway
Tein Htechs springs + Ingalls rear camber kit
Neuspeed short shifter
V6p grounding kit
BFGoodrich GForce sports (<5k miles on em)

I realize that I'll make more money if I take the mods off and sell them- and if I find local buyers that is a good possibility, but I will likely leave the short shifter, springs and camber kit. Taking off the V2 will likely happen unless the buyer wants to pony up at least an extra $150 for it. The tires are only a few months old so I feel like that's worth something as well.

I've really kept very good care of the car- I use Zaino wax and interior leather treatment- people always say how my car smells like new- so I'd like to sell a very well maintained car for a premium price. I do have quiet a few rock dings on the front bumper/hood because I live in Milwaukee and there is always construction- so that sucks. Otherwise the car is in pristine condition. I'm not really in a hurry to sell the car (though the $450/month car payments and $125/month insurance payments are an incentive) so I'm willing to wait for someone who is willing to pay for what this car is worth. What do you guys think I should start at for an asking price?

·
Smooth as Silk
345 Posts
Captal said:
I'm really considering selling the 6 speed- I've definitely loved it over the last two years but I realize that there are other more important things that I could be putting that money towards (aka grad school), so I'd likely sell the Accord and pick up a late 90s compact 4 cylinder- maybe a Celica or something (any suggestions?). Saving money on gas would be nice too, even though I've been getting 24-25 MPG recently as I've used my lead foot less and less.

Anyway I thought I'd check in and see what people though about for a selling price- I'd definitely sell private, then start looking for a new car and drive around with the GF until I find a new ride.

I looked at KBB.com and my car is valued at $20,300 (2003 in excellent condition, 25k miles)- not bad! Honda's sure keep their value eh?

Mod wise I've added:
20% platinum tint all around
AEM V2
Comptech Rear Sway
Tein Htechs springs + Ingalls rear camber kit
Neuspeed short shifter
V6p grounding kit
BFGoodrich GForce sports (<5k miles on em)

I realize that I'll make more money if I take the mods off and sell them- and if I find local buyers that is a good possibility, but I will likely leave the short shifter, springs and camber kit. Taking off the V2 will likely happen unless the buyer wants to pony up at least an extra $150 for it. The tires are only a few months old so I feel like that's worth something as well.

I've really kept very good care of the car- I use Zaino wax and interior leather treatment- people always say how my car smells like new- so I'd like to sell a very well maintained car for a premium price. I do have quiet a few rock dings on the front bumper/hood because I live in Milwaukee and there is always construction- so that sucks. Otherwise the car is in pristine condition. I'm not really in a hurry to sell the car (though the $450/month car payments and $125/month insurance payments are an incentive) so I'm willing to wait for someone who is willing to pay for what this car is worth. What do you guys think I should start at for an asking price?

Well, considering I got a new 05 for 22,700, that might be a bit high... especially with mods (unless you have navi).

I think a more reasonable price would be below 20 (approx 19,200 - 19700). Aftermarket springs and camber kit don't ride like stock and since people can get 05s for about the price I got it for (also since the 06s will be out shortly), a below 20k price would get more lookers.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've got to be a rarity- 22.7k for a new 05? The list is close to 27k. I paid 24k for mine. Actually the aftermarket springs ride just like stock believe it or not- they just corner far better.

·
Smooth as Silk
345 Posts
Captal said:
You've got to be a rarity- 22.7k for a new 05? The list is close to 27k. I paid 24k for mine. Actually the aftermarket springs ride just like stock believe it or not- they just corner far better.
How long will they ride just like stock? I know that I've read somewhere on this board that the ride degrades far quicker than that of the stock equipment - mainly when there are aftmkt springs on stock shocks. Is your setup different?

And yes, 22.7k is rare I must say. I worked a deal and that was not my out-the-door price, but it was what they sold it to me for.

I, myself, would be a little weary of buying a used car with aftmkt suff on it. Just my opinion. However, there really is no problem with setting the price at your level if you are in no rush to sell it. It might go faster than planned.

I was just giving my perspective - I wouldn't buy it at that price - but I wouldn't buy it with aftmkt stuff on it period.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input- that's what I was looking for :D

I do have aftermarket springs on the stock shocks- but the Tein HTechs are designed for the stock shocks- they might degrade a little bit faster- but i'd still expect another 40k miles out of em.

I am tempted to return everything to stock- but the springs were such a pain to install that it's probably not worth it- and I'd have to get another 4 wheel alignment which cost me $100 last time.

·
Smooth as Silk
345 Posts
Captal said:
Thanks for your input- that's what I was looking for :D

I do have aftermarket springs on the stock shocks- but the Tein HTechs are designed for the stock shocks- they might degrade a little bit faster- but i'd still expect another 40k miles out of em.

I am tempted to return everything to stock- but the springs were such a pain to install that it's probably not worth it- and I'd have to get another 4 wheel alignment which cost me $100 last time.

I think if you returned it completely to stock, you could get your asking price.

Then you could sell the H-techs here or on E-Bay to someone who is familiar with the product.

Then sell it for 20,400 (which includes the price of the alignment) - you can use your maintenance recs as a selling point showing your care for the car!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick note- 20,300 isn't my asking price- it's the KBB value :)

Whatever I list it at people are going to want to negotiate the price down. I have to figure out the magic number in my head that I'm not willing to go below, or find someone who realizes that I've done the best mods out there for the car and realize they wouldn't have to go through all the install work again. The sucky thing is I just installed the springs like 2 months ago :(

·
Smooth as Silk
345 Posts
Captal said:

Whatever I list it at people are going to want to negotiate the price down. I have to figure out the magic number in my head that I'm not willing to go below, or find someone who realizes that I've done the best mods out there for the car and realize they wouldn't have to go through all the install work again. The sucky thing is I just installed the springs like 2 months ago :(

yeah... I was going to say that if you could find someone who is knowledgeable about the car, then you could get your price at or around KBB (my fault, I shoulda read more carefully :rolleyes: )

I guess my issue here is, if someone (unaware of the car and its aftmkt presence) was to inquire about the car and you told them it has "H-Tech springs only 2 months old which lowers the car and gives it a more agressive stance.... yadda yadda yadda...," I'm not so sure you could get kbb. It would be different it that same person inquires about it and you told them it has the Honda Factory Performance susp on it - the difference is genuine Honda parts (for me and possibly other onlookers).

On the other hand, you find someone who is aware of the car, knows its characteristics... then you also have someone who will know he/she can negotiate the hell out of you...

·
I feel da need 4 6-speeds
2,313 Posts
Well...since it appears that you still have a loan balance on the car, what will be the payoff amount to free yourself of the loan? If you're payoff amount is greater than the $20.3K KBB value then you'll have to decide how you want to payoff the difference. That would be the 1st thing I would look at...the payoff amount.

Also...if you are a homeowner...have you thought about refinancing your mortgage and get the car and all your debts paid off?

It sounds like you took really good care of your car and the mods are good quality. So if you market her right...I'm sure there are people out there who will buy your car becuz it's a 6-speed and only has 25K miles.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My loan balance is a bit less than the KBB value- I've had the car almost two years- I think I owe around 15k. Isn't that an awesome part about owning a Honda? Most cars owned less than two years would definitely be worth less.

I will take that ~5k and put it towards a cheap compact, like I mentioned. If I could get a used car in the 7-9k range then I'd just pay cash and not worry about a car loan.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suppose I should look into how much the car will be worth in 12-18 months and factor that in as well- if the value isn't going to go down a ton I might as well keep the car and sell it then. For example say that a year from now the car is worth 18k (sounds reasonable seeing that it's gone down about 2k/year so far- so it may be worth even more than that) at that point I'd owe only 10k- that means I would have spent another 5k, but only lost 2k in value- meaning I net 3k more.

On the other hand if I buy an 8k car and it's worth 7k a year from now, I only gain 1k in value (plus the difference in insurance and gas) over the next year. Then I have to ask myself if that price difference is worth trying to find another car...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
good luck on that bro. i know your 6speed will get more than my auto lol. in about 2-3 yrs, i will be in the same shoes as u. right now im just thinking about gettin a really $ car but not looking in teh future where i need to spend some $$ for med school after i get my bachelor :( . good luck on the car and in ur career, man :)

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Captal said:

i would say 18700 is a good price for your car. I could barely get 19.5k for my car now and its a 04 AV6 6MT.

·
I'm stupid with cars
610 Posts
if you sell your honda none if us will ever forgive you nor talk to you again!!! :rant:

j/k :)

good luck with what you do, and take pics of your new car if you get one :)

If I were you, I would start high (say KBB value and up), and that way you can at least negotiate down (because buyers always do). If you start low, buyers will probably assume something is wrong, and negotiate even lower.

·
Registered
463 Posts
gl with selling your car yo...damn i never knew so many ppl trade in or sell their cars so soon after they buy them..is it this common for ppl to buy and sell so quickly?

·
Smooth as Silk
345 Posts
hobbes235 said:
gl with selling your car yo...damn i never knew so many ppl trade in or sell their cars so soon after they buy them..is it this common for ppl to buy and sell so quickly?

No. In reality, most people do not buy/sell/trade the way people do on this board. I have never seen turnover like this myself and I notice that there are many people who do that here. To the contrary, everyone is in a different spot in life - and some deem it necessary to recycle cars like notebook paper.

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
i will drive my car to the ground and then sell it for like 13k . That will be like in 2-3 years.

just waiting for the KBB to come down in price then once that happens my 13k is going towards a 35k car

·
clean and simple
907 Posts
dude... you could get 20K for your car EZ... my car is an 02 v6 coupe and people want to buy my car for 17-18K? Yours can go for more, esp since its a 6speed. but then again, I also have 27K miles lol.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Captal said:
I suppose I should look into how much the car will be worth in 12-18 months and factor that in as well- if the value isn't going to go down a ton I might as well keep the car and sell it then. For example say that a year from now the car is worth 18k (sounds reasonable seeing that it's gone down about 2k/year so far- so it may be worth even more than that) at that point I'd owe only 10k- that means I would have spent another 5k, but only lost 2k in value- meaning I net 3k more.

On the other hand if I buy an 8k car and it's worth 7k a year from now, I only gain 1k in value (plus the difference in insurance and gas) over the next year. Then I have to ask myself if that price difference is worth trying to find another car...
all this talk of trading in has got me thinking, if the value of av6 6spd won't go down too much, mebbe u should hold on to it for a yr and then trade it in for whatever car you want..possibly get some more money out of it...that's not a bad idea once u think about it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts