Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 485 Posts

·
ex scientia vera
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, my shift knob finally arrived so I've installed it and love the outcome. The quality of it was so much better than I thought. It feels solid and has some weight to it. The OEM 6-speed boot is nice and matches my leather interior perfect. Here are some pictures of the project. I had to make some modifications to the boot because under the shift plate is some plastic used for the shifting mechanism. You'd understand if you take apart that area.

In the near future I will cut down the shift shaft to make it a little shorter. 2001Pitboss has a DIY on how to do that here.

You can find more info on this shifter from this thread.

Here are some pictures of the install.

The two areas circled cause the boot to not fit if the boot is not trimmed down

·
I Jumped Off Da Bandwagon
2,204 Posts
Nice diy! 6spd shift boot is the best fit/look for shift boot/knob conversion. I want to see the shifter shortened. Get the tsx metal steering wheel controls next.

·
Registered
882 Posts
it works!! in that case, i'm ordering mine within a week. heck yeah!

·
Registered
24 Posts
i looks good but a little too high imo, if you cut it down the shaft, do you have to drill new holes for the screws holding the knob? if not then ill do this mod also, i like the nice clean look.
and how did you remove the plate without scratching it? i looked at mine and it looks like it need a lot of presure to pry it open.

·
ex scientia vera
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
chewman said:
i looks good but a little too high imo, if you cut it down the shaft, do you have to drill new holes for the screws holding the knob? if not then ill do this mod also, i like the nice clean look.
and how did you remove the plate without scratching it? i looked at mine and it looks like it need a lot of presure to pry it open.
It is too high IMO too. Neither the OEM shifter or this new one are screwed into the shaft. They are only held on by set screws (they merely screw in until making contact with the shifter shaft). You could even go back to OEM later on by trimming down the OEM shift knob if you wanted to. I'd recommend this mod to anyone. It gives the interior a sportier, cleaner look IMO. Good luck with it :up2:

EDIT: About not scratching the cup holder plate....I just used some paper towels to place under the screw driver and at the tip of the flathead. I covered the end of the flathead screwdriver and pried the cover off. Be sure to cover the fulcrum point with paper towel too.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sweet DIY man.. I love the look... alot better than the stock auto setup. Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you on that one.. where'd u get that shift knob and boot again? I think I might be on the boat with this one as well:)

·
ex scientia vera
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
autophiles said:
Sweet DIY man.. I love the look... alot better than the stock auto setup. Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you on that one.. where'd u get that shift knob and boot again? I think I might be on the boat with this one as well:)
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10102/s-10101/p-287563/mediaCode-ZX/appId-579985

This place and every other place I tried to order from was back ordered. It was estimated to ship February 1st, then they told me February 24, but I recieved an email two days ago that it shipped out. I'm sure everyone is beginning to get them in stock now.

Again, it feels to be made of high qualilty materials. It's not light and cheap feeling like I thought it may be.

·
Stalls @ every light
586 Posts
kramer2k said:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10102/s-10101/p-287563/mediaCode-ZX/appId-579985

This place and every other place I tried to order from was back ordered. It was estimated to ship February 1st, then they told me February 24, but I recieved an email two days ago that it shipped out. I'm sure everyone is beginning to get them in stock now.

Again, it feels to be made of high qualilty materials. It's not light and cheap feeling like I thought it may be.

Looks great!!!

Dang it, now I gotta add a new item to my wish list.

·
Registered
882 Posts
i was the one who found it! me! </selfish rant>

·
Registered
554 Posts
kramer2k said:
:boohoo:

J/K ;) Yeah, thanks to deuzez for finding this knob. I had never heard of that brand before.

LOL!!!
Yo how hard would it be to trim the shifter down?
Im not the best DIY person but ive done some odds and ends..
I dont want to chop off to much or cut it uneven and fuq it up..
But that setup def looks pimp

·
Registered
882 Posts
mine are purchased as of two minutes ago!

edit: yay, it says it's in stock!

·
Registered
226 Posts
deuzezwild said:
mine are purchased as of two minutes ago!

edit: yay, it says it's in stock!
Just purchased mine as well... can't wait to do this mod.. get rid of that damn stock shifter! :D

·
ex scientia vera
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As promised, here are some pictures after I shortened up the shifter yesterday afternoon. As you can see from the pictures, I took the metal piece that is used to cover the set screws and used it to hold the boot in plate around the shaft. I originally came with a plastic and rubber pieced but I cut that out and have the boot end "stuffed" into the silver piece from the first pic. I'll post a picture of how much I cut off later on tonight.

This looks awesome now!! I'm stunned it came out this great. The fitment, styling, and rigidity are all on par for my standards.

BEFORE

AFTER

A few more

·
Registered
882 Posts
beautiful! what'd you cut the shaft with?

·
ex scientia vera
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
deuzezwild said:
beautiful! what'd you cut the shaft with?
I thought you'd like that my friend. :cool:

I used an $8 tubing cutter (found in the plumbing section at your neighborhood Wally World) and a pair of cutting pliers (or snips). I'll take a pic tonight of the amount of tubing that I cut. I think it was about 1.5 - 1.75 inches.

·
Registered
882 Posts
so i notice you have the armrest slid all the way forward, exactly like i like it. now does your arm have to bend down in a weird way to get to the shifter? like if you shift down into first? oh right, you might not do that....

1 - 20 of 485 Posts