Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so i recently lowered my car on skunk 2 coilovers with my stock shocks, i know it was pretty dumb but i didn't have the money at the moment to get some better shocks. well i guess i should've expected that the ride was going to be BOUNCY As HELL =T so now i'm deciding on whether i should get the tokico blues or the tokico illuminas to eliminate the bouncyness? is it worth it to put in the extra 100 for the illuminas? or am i okay with getting the blues? keep in mind that i'm not planning to go drifting or anything, i just need a decent shock that would get rid of all my bouncing around which is starting to hurt my neck!
Thank you very much for any of your opinions ahead

·
Team Haidabo
2,236 Posts
I am getting the blues. I just asked myself, "How many times will I actually adjust damper pressures?" And my answer was, "None." Therefore I selected what I did. :) Now if I was taking my car to the track, then I would go with the adjustables. ;)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
taospec said:
I am getting the blues. I just asked myself, "How many times will I actually adjust damper pressures?" And my answer was, "None." Therefore I selected what I did. :) Now if I was taking my car to the track, then I would go with the adjustables. ;)
what kind of springs are you planning on using them with? and how much of a drop? have you tried using your lowering springs on your stock shocks?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
its up to you to figure out if you want to dish out the extra $100 to adjust your ride comfort.. i have a set of illuminas in my closet just waiting to get them installed and from what ive read and searched the illuminas can take a harsher drop then the blues so you might want to keep that in mind as well

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Champaned_out said:
its up to you to figure out if you want to dish out the extra $100 to adjust your ride comfort.. i have a set of illuminas in my closet just waiting to get them installed and from what ive read and searched the illuminas can take a harsher drop then the blues so you might want to keep that in mind as well
ooh.. i see hmm, well, my car is lowered with probably no finger gap left, so probably the illuminas would be my best bet? well if i'm planning to get the illuminas, then i guess it's going to be another 2 weeks before i save up enough for them lol, but how much did you get yours for? i'm looking at around 360-380 brand new on ebay and the tokico blues are about 260 which is in my price range at the moment lol

·
Team Haidabo
2,236 Posts
I am lowered with H&R Sports, and that's about 1.5" front, and 1.3" rear. Currently, I am sitting on the stock struts. Tokico blues are koo for up to a 2" drop, somethin like that. Correct me if anyone in here went lower.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
taospec said:
I am lowered with H&R Sports, and that's about 1.5" front, and 1.3" rear. Currently, I am sitting on the stock struts. Tokico blues are koo for up to a 2" drop, somethin like that. Correct me if anyone in here went lower.
H&R sports wern't that bouncy with your stock shocks am i correct? because my friend lowered his car with H&R springs on his prelude and the ride was pretty good even with stock shocks =T damn skunk 2 coilovers spring rates are so freakin high... it makes my car look soo much better.. but i need some new shocks that would not enable me to feel every little tiny bumps or cracks on the road...

·
Team Haidabo
2,236 Posts
You are going to feel something when ya mod your suspension; however, the ride still feels quite similar to oem to me. :gotme: Your wheels and tires package will also make a difference on how much road ya feel. I had Skunks on my Honda. I think they are geared a lil more towards having fun, than purely looking good. Stiffer rate.

·
Destroyer of Tires
16,094 Posts
I'd say just get the Illuminas, sure you won't be adjusting the damper all the time, but what if you don't like the way the pre dampened shocks feel? It'll be a waste of money then. I say just get the extra cash, pay for the Illuminas, and adjust it to what you think is the best setting, and drive it like that forever... and ever.

·
central Cali accords
2,747 Posts
I have the illuminas with Sportlines.. the front sits a lil higher than rear cause of the v6 weight difference. But yeah, the ride is excellent and smooth. I'm still on softest setting and it's nice and sporty.

·
Pedal damn it
3,913 Posts
^ I had that same set-up for over a year and it rides very nice.

Illumina > Blues

·
4 bangin'
2,277 Posts
its not goood to use any type of lowering spring or coilover on stock shocks period. i was planning on going with skunk2's and illuminas when my time comes, so im gonna say illuminas just cuz theyre a good shock thatll last a while. ive never heard bad things about the blues either tho, but i would stilll go with illuminas if you want the adjustablity.

·
xXxCLS bOoStEdXxX
7,741 Posts
mista jc said:
I have the illuminas with Sportlines.. the front sits a lil higher than rear cause of the v6 weight difference. But yeah, the ride is excellent and smooth. I'm still on softest setting and it's nice and sporty.
cant u adjust it to make it a little lower in the front?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same setup skunk2 coilovers and I have the illuminas. Having the adjustability is always good plus the rebound on the illumuna feel a lot better

·
central Cali accords
2,747 Posts
slowaccord said:
cant u adjust it to make it a little lower in the front?
I'm afraid not, the adjustable settings are only for dampening levels. Coilovers like groundcontrol or the Teins are externally HEIGHT adjustable.

·
xXxCLS bOoStEdXxX
7,741 Posts
mista jc said:
I'm afraid not, the adjustable settings are only for dampening levels. Coilovers like groundcontrol or the Teins are externally HEIGHT adjustable.
hmmm im using h&r race and that should bring the front down pretty good so im not 2 worried. i was just curious though. thanks

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
haha, thanks a lot for the advices guys, i've been searching for some used illuminas for now but no luck yet, i'll just wait till my tax return comes in and i'll purchase a set =D can't wait to see the difference, i'm so tired of avoiding every tiny little crack or what looks to be like a crack on the road and i'm tired of bouncing around haha, i don't think my shocks are the only things that are out, i think my neck AND back is out also =T

1 - 20 of 68 Posts