Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
^ that's my name
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin, aeugrx, and I smoked the clearstrip of my tails this morning. We did this with Candy Apple Black with Metal Flakes. We did a few lights coats, and then used a bit of clear coat over it. While the paint was drying, we decided to do my rear emblem as well; here are some pics.

( that's aeugrx, such a happy fellow )

tell me what you think, and be honest :gapteeth:

·
I AM LOST....
4,681 Posts
hmm.. it looks like a plastic piece covering up the tail light.. :p

but none-the-less.. good job on DIY and custom tail light.. :up: :up:

·
^ that's my name
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's not much of a gloss to it because there was no light out at all. It wasn't that good of a painting day, it just finished raining and was quite humid..

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you smoked the red part, itd become illegal unless you had some other red reflector. As far as any other options, hac and I went over everything and this is really the only thing we could come up with. Originally we wanted to smoke the inside housing but we fired up our heatguns and realized it wasn't silicone. At least we didn't think so. It looked more like to open it we had to dremel the sides and when we sealed it back up we'd have to use silicone. So we just steered clear of that. Couldn't think of any ideas, any suggestions?

The pictures do make it look plastiky, its aactually very shiny in real life. It was cloudy out, rain was in and out all day, which made it a horrible day for painting, but we did it anyways. From what I saw on the road though, it looks better than stock, and its still legal. It will be helpful to get him some bright led blinkers tho, so we'll probably be jamming a few amber ones in there soon.

·
7yr / 120K
955 Posts
Is that sh*t translucent anymore or what. It looks damn dark and illegal if you ask me. To be honest, it looks like a bad pchop but I'd have to see it in person. The big ole H looks aight tho.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah, its still translucent. Dam, noone likes it, but I promise, it isnt that dark in real life and it doesnt look like PS at all. Cuz in those pics, it really does look PS. Sorry guys, maybe hac will get some better pics.

·
7yr / 120K
955 Posts
I'm not really knocking what you did, I actually like it when peopel do their own work. I just think it would look better with a very light smoke over the whole lens, oh and maybe some 35% tint all around to go along with the lens and badge. silver and black is a great color combo. Just my .02!

·
^ that's my name
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i'm going for that look, sometime next week I'm getting 5% all around. And this fall I'm getting black rims with a polished lip..

·
^ that's my name
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was told there was no tint law in Alabama anymore, is this true?

·
EX-Featured Ride Coord.
1,881 Posts
how come you didn't remove the outter tails? is it harder on the 7th gens? cause it takes me less than 2 minutes on my 6th gen sedan.

imo, it looks okay.....it may have looked better on a darker color car.....but we'll see when you get tint and rims......i shouldn't talk, i have custom painted tailz also :D so more power to us DIYers :up:

·
Registered
293 Posts
There was this little white knob on the tails, we couldn't get them off and we didn't wanna mutilate the plastic knob. I couldn't figure it out so we just did it on the car. I thought it would be the same as the 6th gen, it was close, but not exact.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
uh i guess i'm alone on this, but i think it looks way better than stock

·
Banned
5,093 Posts
i dont know man, im feeling it, its very different.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
Kind of reminds me about the old MB taillights. Some of there cars came with taillights where the clear sections were smoked.

If you're getting illegal % on tint, then y'd u care about keeping the taillights legal?? just wondering... great job tho =)
It's more of a safety problem than it just being illegal like window tint.

Without visible turn signals: No one can tell if you’re going to change lanes and this could cause an accident.

Without visible reverse lights: No one can tell if your car is in reverse and this could also cause an accident.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts