Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Accord EX-L Coupe V6 6MT w/out Nav.

I've got the 6-disc changer with XM built in and the disc changer has taken a crap. I get "CD ERR" constantly, the laser just sounds like it's searching constantly and can't "lock." When I took it into Honda they quoted me around $300 to have it fixed and it would take a month :confused:

Anyway, I've looked on ebay and my model is going for at least $400 brand new. I'm seeing that the 6 disc changer w/out XM built in and a slightly different climate control system are going for a lot cheaper, like $150-$180. Would those be a direct fit, or would it cause problems since the climate controls are different? I think the ones I'm looking at come off the 4cyl. sedan.

Any help would be much appreciated because I really don't want to go aftermarket and I don't want to go without a stereo for 1 month and really think it's a rip to pay $300+ to get it fixed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Correct me but doesn't the EX have auto/digital climate controls? If so, you're plugs will be different with the LX.

As always, dealers will charge you a ridiculous amount for audio gear and installation that you could take care yourself. I would invest in something more convenient, like IPOD controls or a Sony CD changer that plays MP3 and has analog outputs to the input of the stock radio.

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct me but doesn't the EX have auto/digital climate controls? If so, you're plugs will be different with the LX.

As always, dealers will charge you a ridiculous amount for audio gear and installation that you could take care yourself. I would invest in something more convenient, like IPOD controls or a Sony CD changer that plays MP3 and has analog outputs to the input of the stock radio.
I believe you are correct about the first paragraph, which is what I thought.

In regards to the 2nd, I know I can get an IPod adapter for $120 and my steering wheel controls will work and it will show up on my display (the song, folders, etc..). however, I'm concerned about losing the functionality of the disc changer as when it comes time to sell it, that would be a major problem.

How would they go about installing a Sony CD changer - would it go in my bottom cubby din I presume?

·
i haz vtec
1,561 Posts
usually they install aftermarket cd changes in the trunk
would you could do is wait for the prices to go down more and when it comes time to sell the car you can get a used one off ebay.

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
usually they install aftermarket cd changes in the trunk
would you could do is wait for the prices to go down more and when it comes time to sell the car you can get a used one off ebay.

thanks...tough decision no matter what I do in the end.

·
J36 6sp w/ LSD
477 Posts
I had the same problem when I first got my car, but the honda dealer in Terre Haute is much cheaper than others, they charge me only 120 for repair it and it did take a month, and they only charge me 12 bucks for cut and program my acura flip key.....you can give them a shot~~~

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same problem when I first got my car, but the honda dealer in Terre Haute is much cheaper than others, they charge me only 120 for repair it and it did take a month, and they only charge me 12 bucks for cut and program my acura flip key.....you can give them a shot~~~
Hmm, which dealership in Terre Haute? I could always give them a call and see if they still charge $120 for the repair, does that include them taking it out and putting it back in? I would drive 1.5 hours to have them do it vs. my stealerships price. If you have the info, shoot me a PM or something please. Thanks!

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts