Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started experiencing a problem with my 2000 Honda Accord LX. The sound randomly cuts out (even though the head unit is on and still playing through the song) and then it will come back on later in time or sometimes cd or volume level is changed.

I have Audiobahn AS65Q 6.5's in the front and stock speakers in the rear. The CD Player is a Panasonic CQC7303 (i think...if not then it's one from that series). I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why this was happening.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lemonade727 said:
I recently started experiencing a problem with my 2000 Honda Accord LX. The sound randomly cuts out (even though the head unit is on and still playing through the song) and then it will come back on later in time or sometimes cd or volume level is changed.

I have Audiobahn AS65Q 6.5's in the front and stock speakers in the rear. The CD Player is a Panasonic CQC7303 (i think...if not then it's one from that series). I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why this was happening.

Either your speaker is grounding out or it's blown. Check your leads again or check the impedance on each speaker with a DMM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vestax said:
Either your speaker is grounding out or it's blown. Check your leads again or check the impedance on each speaker with a DMM.
I know the speaker's aren't blown because they all cut out at exactly the same time and there's absolutely NO response from them when it does this. I checked the all the wires from the head-unit and all the connections are solid. It's as if the internal amp on the head-unit craps out for a bit and then is back to normal at different times.

I never had a problem with these speakers for months and months so that's why I wasn't sure if that was the reason. Is the head-unit failing or is there another explanation?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lemonade727 said:
I know the speaker's aren't blown because they all cut out at exactly the same time and there's absolutely NO response from them when it does this. I checked the all the wires from the head-unit and all the connections are solid. It's as if the internal amp on the head-unit craps out for a bit and then is back to normal at different times.

I never had a problem with these speakers for months and months so that's why I wasn't sure if that was the reason. Is the head-unit failing or is there another explanation?
The only way to tell now is with a DMM, you can check the DC resistance on each speaker. If it falls below the nominal impedance, then the internal amp will shut down. If you have bad installation, a single strand of wire either touching the speaker basket or to the frame of a car is enough to shut down the internal amp. Again, check your connections.

·
Bobby Lane Racing
5,679 Posts
does your headunit have a built in amp? if it does not, your amps might be shutting off due to heat... most amps now adays will shut off if it gets too hot. My system does the same thing when i bump loud for a long time. My deck has 8v output, no built in amp... my speakers get power from the amps only and not the deck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vestax said:
The only way to tell now is with a DMM, you can check the DC resistance on each speaker. If it falls below the nominal impedance, then the internal amp will shut down. If you have bad installation, a single strand of wire either touching the speaker basket or to the frame of a car is enough to shut down the internal amp. Again, check your connections.
Ok...I'll check the connections to the speakers when I have time to take the doors apart (storming outside right now). Thanks for the suggestions Vestax.

And nighthawk...I don't think it's shutting down because it's too hot because it happens sometimes after just 5-10 minutes of driving at a normal listening volume. And no I'm not running any amps, door speakers and rears are being powered by the head unit (which is why I was guessing it might be crapping out or something). But I'll check the connections from the speakers itself and see if it's a problem there like Vestax said.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lemonade727 said:
Ok...I'll check the connections to the speakers when I have time to take the doors apart (storming outside right now). Thanks for the suggestions Vestax.

And nighthawk...I don't think it's shutting down because it's too hot because it happens sometimes after just 5-10 minutes of driving at a normal listening volume. And no I'm not running any amps, door speakers and rears are being powered by the head unit (which is why I was guessing it might be crapping out or something). But I'll check the connections from the speakers itself and see if it's a problem there like Vestax said.
If you have an aftermarket deck, it's a lot easier to check that first. Sometimes soldered connections with bad electrical tape can cause issues as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts