Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I started thinking about possibly upgrading my stereo system. I'm just starting some initial research, as this project won't be started for a while.

I'm wanting some better sound, so I'm thinking about getting some new speakers, an amp for the speakers, the JL CleanSweep, and maybe a sub.

I have stock Navi and I don't want to mess with it, so a new head unit is out of the question.

Here is some of the equipment I'm looking at:

Front Speakers: Focal 165 V2
Rear Speakers: Focal 690 V1
Speaker Amp: JL Audio 300/4
Sub: JL Audio 12w3v2
Sub Amp: JL Audio 250/1
JL Audio CleanSweep

I'd want the sub mounted on the left side of the trunk, custom mounted, probably with fiberglass. I'd want an amp rack on the right side of the trunk that would still allow me access to the jack, if needed. I use my trunk quite a bit, so I'd want something clean and preserve as much space as possible, while giving me better sound staging.

Also, for those that have installed speakers in the front, how hard was it getting to the tweeters in the dash?

The components I'm looking at include a tweeter, so I'd be looking at replacing the stock ones. I'm not sure how hard it is to replace them or if it is worth it. If it's not, then I'd probably just be looking to replace the front coax's.

Any opinions, suggestions, etc?

Thanks.
 

·
I feel da need 4 6-speeds
Joined
·
2,313 Posts
I got mine installed professionally by local electronic shops in San Diego (Tweeter and Progressive). I have MB Quarts all the way around with a JL Audio 10w6 sub in a custom box hooked up to 2 Alpine amps and the JLAudio Cleansweep. If you look inside my interior, everything looks stock. My trunk still has enough space to throw my bike inside. The installers did a great job putting everything together. My system doesn't hit hard like most car systems out there but the sound is clean and I've been very pleased with how everything worked out. I listen to a lot of Hip Hop and R&B/Old School. Sounds great! :D

Don't know too much about Focal speakers. I've had A/D/S, Bostons and MBQuarts in my previous cars. I love A/D/S the best but the Bostons and MBQ's are also very good. I'm impressed with the CleanSweep (I don't have navi). Here are a few pics of my setup:





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
alpha said:
Front Speakers: Focal 165 V2
Rear Speakers: Focal 690 V1
Speaker Amp: JL Audio 300/4
Sub: JL Audio 12w3v2
Sub Amp: JL Audio 250/1
JL Audio CleanSweep
very solid list indeed :yes: the only thing id change is move up to the w3v3 :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flyvtec: If you don't mind me asking, how much was labor for the custom box? That looks great, and makes me curious how much they charged for custom labor as I'll probably be back in San Diego in about a month.
 

·
I feel da need 4 6-speeds
Joined
·
2,313 Posts
alpha said:
flyvtec: If you don't mind me asking, how much was labor for the custom box? That looks great, and makes me curious how much they charged for custom labor as I'll probably be back in San Diego in about a month.
Thx. Dude did a great job on the box. I believe I paid $300 to get it done back in Jun 05.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
flyvtec said:
I got mine installed professionally by local electronic shops in San Diego (Tweeter and Progressive). I have MB Quarts all the way around with a JL Audio 10w6 sub in a custom box hooked up to 2 Alpine amps and the JLAudio Cleansweep. If you look inside my interior, everything looks stock. My trunk still has enough space to throw my bike inside. The installers did a great job putting everything together. My system doesn't hit hard like most car systems out there but the sound is clean and I've been very pleased with how everything worked out. I listen to a lot of Hip Hop and R&B/Old School. Sounds great! :D

Don't know too much about Focal speakers. I've had A/D/S, Bostons and MBQuarts in my previous cars. I love A/D/S the best but the Bostons and MBQ's are also very good. I'm impressed with the CleanSweep (I don't have navi). Here are a few pics of my setup:





might be stupid questions but here it goes.

why 2 amp for one Sub?

how high can the sub go? (i like to alot of HIP HOP and i want mines banging but also want clean sound with no rattle)

is it easy to remove if you need to get to your rear lights to change a bulb if you had to?
 

·
I feel da need 4 6-speeds
Joined
·
2,313 Posts
^^^ yup, the small amp powers the sub and the larger amp powers the speakers/tweeters. the sub i had before was ported and it sounded great ... but that thing just rattled everything in sight so i went with my current sealed configuration. i have dynamat in my trunk but there is still a little bit of rattle going on when i crank up MIMS or other jamz with the awesome bass. sounds good tho ... clean ... but not as good as the high end systems out there.

the jlaudio 10w6 is a great sub and it can handle serious thumping if you have it setup properly i.e. connected to a good amp and placed inside a well made box. as i stated earlier, when the sub was in a ported box, it made my hair stand up! And my radio wasn't even hooked up to the CleanSweep yet! :D

try looking into the Memphis subs too. I heard them at an auto show and they sounded really tight.

that's a good question if i can move the box to change the tail light bulbs ... i believe the box is held down by velcro but i'm going to have to check it out and let you know.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top