Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe what I just found out after taking my car in for regular service. The wing spoiler that I purchased as an add on for a brand new 04 Accord from the so called dealership have installed an aftermarket wing on the car instead of the OEM one! At the time of purchase of the car itself I indicated to the salesmen all the accessories that I wanted (MP3 player, auto-dim rear view mirror, fully body kit, and wing spoiler) out of the apparently genuine honda accessories pamphlet I was provided, agreed upon a price for the car and at no point was it mentioned that any of those parts would not be OEM.

A year later, after talking to a service technician I have finally found out what has happened! The problem with the aftermarket spoiler is that it apparently does not come with the heavier springs that the OEM one does. What I have noticed and hence the reason I complained when I brought it in for service is that the trunk tends to slam down pretty hard unlike most cars. I have gotten used to it but on several occasions people have slammed my trunk pretty hard since the spring are just no adequate due to the extra weight. On top of that numerous people have commented on how the spoiler is a different tone of silver. Also, in order to install it they had to splice the cable instead of just plugging in a connecter! All this time I honestly thought that was just the nature of OEM Honda spoilers. Boy was I wrong! :eek:

To add to all this the service advisor (this guy really stands out as a distinguished prick) I was dealing with at first did not even want to acknowledge that there was a problem with the spoiler yet alone look at it. He never bothered to look at it until I cam back with installation instructions that I downloaded from the internet that showed the replacement springs that are supposed to be installed. He finally then got a service technician (I believe he is the head technician) to look at it who told me almost right away that it was an aftermarket piece. I felt like I was in an episode of the twilight zone when he told me this.

An interesting tidbit that the technician told me is that the perhaps what they did to get the price of the car down during my negotiations with the saleman and his manager was to substitute the OEM spoiler for an aftermarket one which is according to him a significantly cheaper item. Makes me wonder if this is a common practice. I mean what the heck, I must be just another assumed clueless customer to them. What can I say, I assumed they had professional integrity or perhaps they thought it unnecessary to haggle me with such minute details. As a bonus he said the lighting unit in his experience does not tend to last as long on these aftermarket units among the other deficiencies mentioned above. Either way he told me himself that I have a strong case for this.

What I have to do know (according to him) is grab my original bill of sales, which is at home, and bring it back to them and talk to the sales manager. I will demand that an actual OEM wing be installed with the proper springs. Not even sure what to do about the spliced wires which would have never been even necessary in the first place.

As far as I am concerned this is a gross misrepresentation of what I have purchased. I have not been overall impressed with the quality of the car ever since I purchased the vehicle brand new (ironically doing this as to not have any problems), the half-baked service (fix one item, scratch up a few others) but this is a whole new low. I really want to stick it to them if I can (as in heres the car, now give me my money back) but I am not sure of what to do other then try to get the spoiler exchanged for the proper one.

Sorry for the long post but I real had to vent. Hopefully, this may also serve as a heads up to anyone else when dealing with dealerships in general. I have never heard of such a thing before in my life, but knowing my luck if there is a scam, I am bound to run into it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
WOW! that is just messed up! i have never heard of that before. make them give you a new spoiler and trunk springs and install them. (i think the OEM one says ACCORD undeneath it).

after everything is said and done, get as far away from that dealer as possible and NEVER EVER GO BACK. even if the next dealer is 50 miles farther goto that one instead. that is just beyond shady and they should be shut down!

·
Oh yeah!
484 Posts
Aww man that is horrible. You should force them to give you an OEM spoiler w/ springs and install it. If they don't, I think you can file some type of complaint with Honda of America

·
oSCaR
4,919 Posts
i didnt get those dam heavy duty springs on mine either, but it sure has the accord logo on the bottom... and i do get that SLAM when ppl close the trunk, it sucks and makes me cringe, feels like my bumper is gonna fall off...

it sure is a stealership... i received a DENT rim... i went to take in the car to get all the accessories put on, took em FIVE hours... i get there, take a look around and it dont even have the exhaust finishers, im like WTF! so i go tell em all pissed, hes like relax, LOL... im like w/e get me my exhaust tips... and then they cant even find my KEYS! takes em another 30 mins... then they cant find my WHEEL LOCKS! (i got the wheel locks so they have to give me the ones they take off from each wheel and the LOCK!) so i finally think its all right after looking at it in the freakin dark so i leave... one week later i come to find out when washing the car... MY FRONT RIGHT RIM IS DENT!... no road rash so it had to be from dropping it in a box or something... i call em and call em and call em... i get so much BS but i call BS every time... he said oh if its dent it wont be balanced or something.... im like wtf you mount the tire on the rim then you balance it, if its unbalanced the weights will correct it even w/ a dent... he shuts up and says he will call me when he has the new rim... hasnt called me since... i havent went in kuz its an hour and a half away and i dont have time to deal w/ a BS stealership on a packed weekend... ill just wait and get aftermarket rims i guess... DUMB VALLEY HONDA :rant2: or w/e... its in victorville):rofl2: ^^ probably no ones gunna read all that... ^^ :p

pics of the dent... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/729648/3

i kinda have time now though, i should call in and b**ch some more.... :p

·
Registered
87 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me. Unfortunately, I'm 2500 miles from the dealership where I bought the car and no dealerships out here are willing to touch it. I called the original dealership and they basically blew me off. I ended up buying the springs myself - but be careful, I found out after installing both springs that my aftermarket spoiler must be lighter then the OEM one. My trunk just about uppercutted me. So now I have one of the heavy duty springs and one of the stock ones and it's better.

·
6MT
1,195 Posts
My dealership is gay too, when I bought my car they were sayin how my car came w/ glass etching, pin strip, and protection package. Tried to raise the price 1.7k, but they pissed me off. The salesperson was all sayin other dealers will do this to me, tell me one price and later find out theres more sh!t on the car and raise the price and he wont do it to me. I called my original dealer and they said they'll get me a diff accord w/out those sh!t on it and not add more onto the price. And they were all scared of losing business so they said fine they'll get me that car w/ those sh!t on it for the original price we bargained for.

TURNS OUT WHEN HE PICKED UP THE CAR, THE CAR ALL STOCK, NONE OF THOSE PACKAGES! They are fcuking liars. And later, he keeps callin me askin hopin that i'll give him all 5 on the ratings lol... MY @$$!

But yea, I feel sorry for ya man, I think my 04 accord had aftermarket spoiler too, they never came w/ better springs in the trunk. My friend bought genuine s2000 spoiler for his s2000 and his came w/ those springs. Alwayz buy ur accessories from the well known sites that ppl alwayz talk about on the forum, saves u the trouble.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is an update on the spoiler. After nearly three weeks I went to the dealership to confront the sales manager. One of the reasons it took so long was that after looking at my original bill of sales I realized I didn't have a solid leg to stand on. The problem is that on the bill there is only a total agreed upon price of the car which includes all extra upgrades. It does not give a break down of any accessories that were ordered (a lesson learned here on my part) so all I had was my word against theirs.

Either way I decided to go in to speak to the sales manager. The sales manager was someone new which was a mixed blessing since he seemed easier to approach than the original one but in his eyes I could also come across as someone who just wants a better spoiler.

So I sat down with him and told him what happened when I took my car in for my last service and how even the technician, Phil, thought I had a good case. At that point he got up, walked away and was gone for quite a while.

When he came back he of course tried the usual deflection tactics. He offered to put the stronger springs on but I would be charged for that. I had to laughed at that one. Then the whole speel about it being a whole year later and what did I expect them to do about it after all that time. I told him quite simply it was a year because I had no idea it was not the OEM unit. That was the whole point, I was quoted a price at the time of the sale that was much higher than what was put on my car without being told otherwise. I had no reason to suspect I got anything other than what I order because up to this point I honesty had not idea that that the dealership sold and installed aftermarket parts (which as what I told him).

The kicker here was he then told me that 80% of the spoilers they put on are aftermarket for new cars. I then responded by stating that then "It appears that customers are not told about this". I think this was a moment of truth since at that point he asked what is that I wanted from them exactly, and my response was simply for them to install an actual OEM spoiler on my car. And that was that.

They have placed one on order so we will see how all that goes. Having giving it some more thought I don't really blame them. In their minds the spoiler is nothing more than a cost effective substitute. I am sure most of as walk into dealerships with the noition of getting an amazing deal that I guess something has to give. I am sure they understand better than me the idea of giving customers a perceived value or deal. Honestly, I would of preferred to have never have dealt with this in the first place but its not my fault that the aftermarket spoiler comes across as a seemingly inferior product that leaces. I hope my trunk getting slammed days are near an end. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
TDotCord said:
man that sucks....care to disclose which dealership?
I might after I get this fully resolved with them. As remote as it may be I just one to make sure I don't end up with a dead skunk strapped in somewhere under the car as a thank you for posting this to a forum and making it public. :eek:

Makes you wonder about other dealerships as well though. However, they are at least trying to rectify the problem now after I stirred up a stink of my own.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can you ask them to open a dealership down in southern cali, I'd give them all of my business. Thats the way a dealer should operate. If the dealer is honest and upfront about things of that nature, then I trust them. I completely understand that mistakes and accidents happen, but its the way that those problems are dealt with that make me want to stay with someone, or move on to another dealer. So far, Ive had bad experiences with hondas service department, usually trying to give me the run around, giving false information about things being replaced and such. Its nice to hear that at least one person had a good experience with their dealer.

·
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto
3,545 Posts
Title101 said:
.... up to this point I honesty had not idea that that the dealership sold and installed aftermarket parts.
Every Honda dealership I've been in (which isn't a lot though) has aftermarket parts for sale (ie; rims, trailer hitches, plate frames, seat covers, etc.). Some of them even offer performance parts, like cold air intakes, strut bars, etc.

I take it your dealership doesn't sell any of that stuff, or had you not been to their parts dept yet?

·
4 bangin'
2,277 Posts
i have 2 dealerships within 20 minutes of my house, i think one is like 5 minutes away actually, haha. ive only been to one tho, the one where i bought my 98 from in 04. they seem to be pretty good so far, i havent had any problems at all. except the fact that my car was obviously in an accident cuz of the misaligned hood and front bumper, but the carfax is clean. it was prolly just a little tap that caused a little damage, nothing serious, but i still shouldve gotten something extra off for it, but they never informed me of it, and i didnt notice it untill about feb. or march of this year.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In my younger years I used to work for a car audio shop, we had a division called "dealer services" we would go to the car dealers and install alarms, power door locks, power windows, CD changers, etc. on new cars, right on the lot before they were delivered. There were other companies doing window tint, pin stripping and spoilers. Some of the stuff installed was obviously aftermarket to the naked eye, but some replica items were not. Whether these items were being sold as aftermarket or being passed off as OEM by the dealers, I don’t know. But judging by the amount of business we had I can tell you this is a common practice, not only at Honda but at most dealers.

Art M.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Art M. said:
But judging by the amount of business we had I can tell you this is a common practice, not only at Honda but at most dealers.
The Chevy/Cadillac dealership I work for does that too, but they actually mark on the receipt which items are OEM and which aren't. For the most part I don't see many aftermarket accessories going on at the dealership I work for.

Just remember, a salesman is lying whenever his lips are moving.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts