Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend has a convertable (obviously) Cabrio that has one blown rear speaker. she was complaining that when the top is down, the stock stereo is terrible. she wants to upgrade so that she can hear it with the top down.

i suggested, since she needs the rear one anyway, to get component speakers all around, an amp to power them, and a new head unit. another friend suggested regular rear speakers, stock fronts, and a sub in the trunk. i think this is a dumb idea, cuz itll just give her more bass, not more clarity for when she needs it with the top down.

so what do you guys think? she has a budget of $800 including the head unit. if she lets me help her, im gonna take her to Streeteffectz, so I asked Ron too, I just want your guys input as well. any suggestions are worth while, but keep it under that price limit, and sound quality is key here. thanks guys.

·
Registered
621 Posts
For top-down cruising, the most important piece of the audio system would be HIGH powered amps. She'd be better off spending more on a powerful amp and getting just "average" speakers, cuz you need the wattage to overcome the wind noise. I'd try to go for atleast 100W per channel so you'll be able to actually hear the music.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
convertibles suck when it comes sound, well actually for bass because it all escapes out the top. but they're cool in the summer :up:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
the VW cabrios 95-00 (I dunno if that's the exact car your friend has) have 5.25inch drivers all around.. but I could be mistaken. As said earlier... she'll need lots of SPL to hear music, especially lower midrange upper midbass... so better get a solid 100x4 amp and get some decent coaxes with good exursion to power them up... I wouldnt recommend components ina open top cabrio... the upper tweets will have have the treble in a lost valence rainbow effect.. ... but with coaxes with tweets low in the doors will preserve some of the soundstage... some things to think about...

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool thanks guys, thats basically the same thing ron suggested too. well see what she wants to get done, but ill definitley keep in mind about the coaxials.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts