Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it's about that time to consider an exhaust system especially with tax returns in a week or so. I just wanted some suggestions to help me out. So far I have a 05 AV6-6 with I/PCD/ Xlr8Jpipe. I want to car to be as quiet as possible which means I plan on leaving the Cat. converter intact or upgrading to a high-performance one plus a resonator. The car is still very quiet unless I'm in Vtec. Also, I have the 06 rear lip as well as I have seen people have had fitment issues fitting their muffler tips through the rear lip. Any suggestions on diameter size, type of muffler, piping, resonator? I live in Miami as well so I have no issues with emissions, just thought I'd mention that.

·
SSM_AV6-6
1,050 Posts
For a full catback, the Borla seems to be the quietest one available. I am in the same exact boat. I am doing HFPC and the XLR8 J-pipe, but am undecided as to what I want to do with the rest of the exhaust. I want something ideally OEM, like an LS430 axleback, meant for more power and as quiet as OEM accord exhaust. I would like a 2.5" midpipe with a long resonator. But if I can find a Borla for cheap enough I may just spring for that. It looks a lot like stock, and isn't very loud at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What diameter are you guys thinking on the midpipe before the Y. I think I read online that someone had 3" but I'm not sure if they were doing single muffler. I want double mufflers and I was thinking of just getting the mufflers and have the shop custom the midpipe and put on the exhaust for me as well. I was actually leaning towards full custom with a good resonator, but I don't know if the car will be quiet still.

·
SSM_AV6-6
1,050 Posts
Sonnick mentioned he had the 3" single exhaust, and I think he had a resonator and said it was still too damn loud. Which discourages me because my original plan was to custom make an entire exhaust like what you want, using a Magnaflow resonator and probably Flowmaster mufflers.

·
ER MER GERD!!!!
129 Posts
Apex'i WS-II is nice and quiet even w/ the XLR8 V2 Jpipe. under normal cruising almost as quiet as stock.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Just leave the stock catback and put in an electric dump passed the Jpipe. Wisper quiet when ya need it, screamin when ya want it;). Prolly perform better then a catback anywyas.
This.

Or you can do a 3" midpipe with an ever larger resonator than I currently have (6" round X 30"). You could do the Magnaflow 5x8x24, which has a good amount more volume than mine. You may only need small mufflers with that reso.

But if having a quiet exhaust is priority, go with a 2.5" midpipe. You can still use a large resonator (5x8x18 or so) and 2 nice mufflers. I'd suggest Magnaflow (5x8x14) or Vibrant Streetpower (5x9x15). The Vibrants should be a little quieter given their larger size. Either should sound very nice and still maintain quiet exhaust note you're looking for ;) Keep in mind that anything smaller than suggested will probably be louder than you want.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This.

Or you can do a 3" midpipe with an ever larger resonator than I currently have (6" round X 30"). You could do the Magnaflow 5x8x24, which has a good amount more volume than mine. You may only need small mufflers with that reso.

But if having a quiet exhaust is priority, go with a 2.5" midpipe. You can still use a large resonator (5x8x18 or so) and 2 nice mufflers. I'd suggest Magnaflow (5x8x14) or Vibrant Streetpower (5x9x15). The Vibrants should be a little quieter given their larger size. Either should sound very nice and still maintain quiet exhaust note you're looking for ;) Keep in mind that anything smaller than suggested will probably be louder than you want.

What would the diameter of the Y be when the mid-pipe fuses into the two Left/Right pipes to the mufflers, still 2.5"?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
The muffler shop will know what to do. At the end of the midpipe where the Y split is they should have 2 2.25" pipes meeting to form the "Y." So in essence, the mufflers you buy should have a 2.25" inlet if you go with a 2.5" midpipe. If you go with a 3" midpipe, you should buy mufflers with a 2.5" inlet.

You could always buy a Y pipe btw. A lot of companies shelf them.

·
SSM_AV6-6
1,050 Posts
Ironically, the 3" seems quieter, as long as a nice resonator and large mufflers are used. I went with a custom built 3" catback with Magnaflow resonator and two 2.5" Magnaflow muffers. Pieced together, including having a shop do the welding/mounting, you should be spending roughly $450 for that setup. It sounds like the consensus is light mods = stick with 2.5", serious mods (entire exhaust upgrades, good intake at least) = 3".

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ironically, the 3" seems quieter, as long as a nice resonator and large mufflers are used. I went with a custom built 3" catback with Magnaflow resonator and two 2.5" Magnaflow muffers. Pieced together, including having a shop do the welding/mounting, you should be spending roughly $450 for that setup. It sounds like the consensus is light mods = stick with 2.5", serious mods (entire exhaust upgrades, good intake at least) = 3".
Well, I have PCD and j pipe as well as intake so I guess I will be doing pretty much what you did with the 3" mid to 2.5" y pipe to mufflers.

I don't want to buy Borla because they are expensive and I hear they are equal or lesser performance than going the custom route.

·
SSM_AV6-6
1,050 Posts
Well, for a mass produced catback I would say Borla is my all-around favorite. However, with performance a high priority, it couldn't hurt to custom make a 3" exhaust. If I was happy with just an intake and catback, I'd definitely get the Borla, but with HFPC and JP on the way I would hate to spend more money for less power lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts