Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
^_________^
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup fellas. My sister and her husband are planning to buy this Tacoma with roughly around 165k. But the thing is, is that the guy who is selling the pick up says that he hasnt changed the oil in 3 years because he says that he doesnt drive it all that often. Do you guys think it's safe to say that the engine is fine? Because in the back of my mind, I think there should be something wrong with that.

·
Formerly VTEC-v6!
5,254 Posts
Get yourself a flashlight and take a peek inside the oil fill cap. If there's anything even closely resembling black oil on the valvetrain parts, then run far far away.

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
You're supposed to change the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage if you don't drive a lot. Yeah, what James said. Also, is he the original owner? If that's how he treats the car chances are other things may have been neglected also.

:hide:

·
^_________^
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're supposed to change the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage if you don't drive a lot. Yeah, what James said. Also, is he the original owner? If that's how he treats the car chances are other things may have been neglected also.

:hide:
I know. I told my sister and brother in law that the owner needs to change the oil regardless of how little or how much he drives. But this old geezer who helped my sister through some rough times in the past kept on reassuring them that the car is ok and it runs fine. But it looks like the transmission is on it's way out the door because it shifts hard and it takes way too long to get to third gear, when I took it for a test drive, it shifted into 3rd gear after hitting 70 mhp :eek: And yes, he is the original owner.

A-cord: The guy is selling is for 1.7k, and I don't want my sister or my brother in law to be buying a car only to have it break down and cost more to fix it then when they invested in it.

metallikatz3: I will look again on wednesday, thanks for the tip. And when I think about it, it is pretty sketchy since the owner was basically bragging that he hasn't changed the oil in 3 yrs.

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
And yes, he is the original owner.
Wow, I'd seriously pass. Automatic? It's probably never even had a transmission flush either. $1.7k is nice, but you're easily looking at that much in repairs if not more. Money pit warning.

·
^_________^
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, I'd seriously pass. Automatic? It's probably never even had a transmission flush either. $1.7k is nice, but you're easily looking at that much in repairs if not more. Money pit warning.
That's what I'm worried about. Having to spend more on the car itself to get repaired then the price of the car. I doubt he did a transmission flushed too. And I believe he said he was a mechanic :rolleye2:

blackhawk411: honest but he was too cocky when he said that. It was like he was proud of that or something, what a jackass.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I would run like Forest Gump...from this car. Tacoma with automatic and 165k on the clock with oil not having been changed for 3 years straight its a death trap for repairs. I would stay away even if I did all the work on it...the engine is toast. It has 165k and he did not drive much? What kind of bs is that. Stay away from that car lol!

·
^_________^
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ lol yeah, my sister and brother in law listened to me after all with the help of my dad and uncle haha.
They ended up getting a 2007 Tacoma for about 18k otd, which I think is pretty good. They didnt even let me know so that I could go with them to drop the price a little bit more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts