Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is another way to tap into the parking light wiring without splicing into the wires by the bulbs. I remember back in the day when I had my old grand am, I was able to run a wire off of the extra leads out of the fuse box that were turned on when the parking lights were turned on. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Accords have something similar? I want to hook up some halo's and leds to the park light assembly without having to splice into those wires. Thanks for the help.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
you can tap into the circuit via the fuse box, but imo that's more more than using something called "wire taps" or "t-taps," aka to some as "vampire taps." there are two pieces to them: the actual tap, and an insulated male connector. you jsut snap the tap onto a wire, and these "teeth" bite through the insulation and make contact with the copper inside. then u stick the male connector into the tap, and crimp a new wire onto that male connector.

very clean, no mess, no cutting, no soldering.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice. Thanks for the explination. When I hook my halo's and leds up I will have to tap into the park break line. I just didn't want it to take too much power away from the park lights or the turn signals. I am trying to take precautions because of the type of luck I have. If somebody's car is gonna catch fire because of a wire tap or something, it will be mine. That is my luck. When I do this, should I try to use maybe heat shrink tubing on the sides to try to keep moisture out, or will this not be a problem?

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
no need to wrap anything around the wire tap.

if you want to, you can add heat shrink to the male connector, after youve crimped it onto the wire. imo, its not necessary

·
keepin' it OG
10,188 Posts
i have ttaps everywhere... they are the best..

btw, you just cut enough of the plastic out and when you crimp the wire and the tap together, and if you see some visible wire, then you had cut too much of the plastic out..

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
huh?

you mean insulation? you are supposed to strip approx 3/8" insulation for crimp-on connectors. if you do it right, you will see no exposed wire anywhere

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Post picks of your halos when you have everything set up. I'm assuming from your description you're going to use the LEDs as signals?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just be sure your t-taps are tight. I had a tap that did not hold the wire tightly and the wire was bouncing around inside the tap causing my connection to be intermittent. I pulled the tap and squeezed the metal connector tighter which solved the problem and secured the wire.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would love to use the leds at the top of the light as turn signals but I am not sure if I want to go through the trouble in doing it. I will probably have to replace the leds if I do that and I am not sure what type they are. By the way does anybody know wich wires arre for the park, turn in the relay. I am trying to gather all of the info before I go and do this so I know what I am doing when everything is complete.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
if you go outside and look at the wires for each sides' park and turn, the parking light wire is the same color on both sides. the other remaining wire will be for the turn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts