Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I need some help deciding whether I should go with SS or ProKit + Koni. They're about the same price.

Here's what's important to me:
1-Ride quality (I want it as comfortable as possible)
2-Quality or lifetime of the product I'm buying

If I get SS I'm probably going to lower it the same as the Pro Kit. I don't want to go any lower.

Do you think Tein SS at the softest setting is as comfortable as the Pro Kit + Koni?

Thanks in advance,

Ron

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info man.

One more question. Do I still need to use a spring compressor to install the Tein SS or the springs come pre-assembled with the shocks?

Ron

·
DIY Mania
194 Posts
The springs on the Tein SS have about twice the spring rates of the Prokit's. From this it tells you that the coilovers will be much firmer than the Prokit. Even if you lower the damping rate all the way down on the SS, it will still be firmer.

If you want comfort, go with Prokit and Koni SP3 or Koni Sport. I haven't heard a single complaint from Prokit and SP3/Sport combo on an Accord. I have the exact setup on my 06 I4 myself and I can't be happier.

Regarding the SS springs, no spring compressor is needed. All you have to do is lower the adjustment perches all the way down when you're installing the top hats, then raise them. The Tein SS doesn't come with top hats, so you have to remove them from your stock suspension and install them on the coilovers.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Konis kill your ride quality already. If you are going to have crappy ride quality, you might as well get something out of it. I'd say go for the Tein. I had Konis and h-techs and the konis were a disaster and just uncomfortable. If I had it to do over again I would have gone with some tokicos. I went hfp just to go oem after I got tired of messing with the shocks. Biggest waste of money ever. I'm going to have the front-passenger side shock repaired, then sell them for like 280-300. I'm tired of looking at them.

·
Hella Functional
4,960 Posts
You do not need a spring compressor for either one of these setups. Instead, I would highly recommend you just buy a new top hat from dealership, since it's pretty cheap.

With that out of the way, here is my experience...

First question, they both off damper control, which is a big plus. You are able to adjust the ride quality on both of them to extremely soft, and comfortable if you choose. Instead, on the Tein SS, there is more adjust ability, but when you compare the two side by side, they're very similar to each other. I've turned my Tein to the softest setting, and it felt like a caddy. I have cranked my friend's Koni to the softest setting, it yielded similar results. So these two are pretty equivalent.

Questions 2, they both have similar quality/durability. They will last the lifetime of your car, unless you do something stupid, like running into a curb, or overload the suspension. One problem with the Tein SS is premature rusting. So keep an eye out for that if you choose to go that route.

Lastly, the primary difference between Tein SS and the spring/shock combo is height adjustability. Which also accounts for the large difference in price.

Eibach prokit is meant for Stock shock use, since it does not drop that low. If you are going with aftermarket shocks anyways, then you might as well get the Eibach Sportsline or the H&R Sport springs. Which gives a more aggressive drop. But with a more agressive drop, you will also need camber kit. So keep that in mind.

IF you chose to roll on Prokits + Shock, you will not need a camber kit.

Good Luck in your decision, and feel free to ask anymore questions

·
DIY Mania
194 Posts
DV8, I beg to differ about spring compressor. You need spring compressor to install the front Prokits, unless you're really strong muscled and can push the top hats down far enough to install the shock rod nuts.

I drove one of my customers' Accord lowered about 1.8" with Tein SS (I've installed various suspension setups on many Accords/TSXs/TLs) and we cranked down the damper's to the softest setting and the car was still quite firmer than my Accord with Prokit and Koni SP3 at the softest setting. The Tein car by any means didn't feel like an old Caddy (the new CTS is pretty firm, almost German car-like).

Teins do last a long time and if it ever needs repair, Tein USA in LA area can repair it with pretty quick turnaround time.

Like you said about rust, the Teins height adjustment threads are prone to rust and stuck sand. You'll have to clean them up and apply lubricant regularly so the spring perches can still move freely when you want to adjust the ride height.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the great info. I think I will go with the Pro-kit + koni. I already bought the rear camber kit, so it doesn't hurt to install it too.

The drop that the prokit will give me is just what I need. I don't need to go lower.

The reason I considered the SS is to lower it in the summer and raise it in the winter (I live in Canada), but I found out that I need to do 2 alignments/year which is quiet costly. So that eliminated the SS.

I think I can drive with Prokit in the winter with no problems, and it will give me the soft ride that I need. Thanks again.

Ron

·
Hella Functional
4,960 Posts
DV8, I beg to differ about spring compressor. You need spring compressor to install the front Prokits, unless you're really strong muscled and can push the top hats down far enough to install the shock rod nuts.
Are we talking about 6th gen or 7th gen?

When I installed my prokits for my 6th gen, I just had to press down while my friend threaded the nuts in.

Maybe it's a bit different in the 7th gen?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts