Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to search but could not find any good information. My outside temp sensor is acting up. Its not reading the correct temp. Usually its off by as much as 10-15 degrees. Sometimes it almost catches up if I drive around for a while but it has not been right for about a week now.
My car is out of warranty so is there anywhere besides the dealer that I can buy a replacement sensor?
TIA!

·
Deceptively Quick...
339 Posts
Just as a general comment, these temperature sensors always seem really slow for some reason. The gauge on my brother's Dodge seems much quicker to respond to temperature changes. :gotme:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the calibration but you can only go a few degrees either way.

It didnt seem to take so long before to change. I am one of those people who like to know what tempature it is all the time so I frequently check my temp gauge.

Anyway, I guess I will keep looking for a solution.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm in the same boat myself. My '04 just started giving false readings. It always was a bit slow to respond but now it never catches up to the real temp no matter how long I drive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to call the dealership in the morning to see how much a replacement sensor costs. I will let you know when I find something out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks guy. I recall reading these sensors keep failing even after you replace them over and over. I hope they've updated them since I read that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called this morning and they are only $33.00 for a new one. They said they will have some on Tuesday so I will pick it up then. I will let you know how it works.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here's how the boys at Honda decided how our outside temperature gauges should work.

Outside temperature indicator logic at ignition switch ON (II):
If the engine coolant temperature is 140 F (60C) or higher when the ignition switch is turned ON, the
outside temperature indicated when the key was last turned OFF will be displayed regardless of the
current temperature measured by the outside air temperature sensor.
If the engine coolant temperature is 139 F (59C) or lower when the ignition switch is turned ON, the current
temperature measured by the outside air temperature sensor will be displayed.

Outside air temperature indicator update:
If the outside air temperature sensor is warmer than the temperature on the outside air temperature
indicator, the outside temperature indicator will increase by 1F (1C) per minute when the vehicle speed is
greater than 19 mph (30 km/h) for more than 30 seconds. With this logic, the first update to the outside
temperature indicator happens 1 minute and 30 seconds after the vehicle has reached 19 mph (30 km/h)
as long as the speed does not drop below 19 mph again. After the initial update, it will continue to update
once per minute until the current outside temperature is indicated.
If the vehicle speed drops below 19 mph, the indicator will not update again until the vehicle speed is
increased to 19 mph or more for more than 1 minute and 30 seconds again.
If the outside air temperature sensor is cooler than the displayed temperature, the outside temperature
reading will decrease 1F (1C) every 2 seconds until the current outside temperature is displayed
regardless of vehicle speed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
odk said:
Here's how the boys at Honda decided how our outside temperature gauges should work.

Outside temperature indicator logic at ignition switch ON (II):
If the engine coolant temperature is 140 F (60C) or higher when the ignition switch is turned ON, the
outside temperature indicated when the key was last turned OFF will be displayed regardless of the
current temperature measured by the outside air temperature sensor.
If the engine coolant temperature is 139 F (59C) or lower when the ignition switch is turned ON, the current
temperature measured by the outside air temperature sensor will be displayed.

Outside air temperature indicator update:
If the outside air temperature sensor is warmer than the temperature on the outside air temperature
indicator, the outside temperature indicator will increase by 1F (1C) per minute when the vehicle speed is
greater than 19 mph (30 km/h) for more than 30 seconds. With this logic, the first update to the outside
temperature indicator happens 1 minute and 30 seconds after the vehicle has reached 19 mph (30 km/h)
as long as the speed does not drop below 19 mph again. After the initial update, it will continue to update
once per minute until the current outside temperature is indicated.
If the vehicle speed drops below 19 mph, the indicator will not update again until the vehicle speed is
increased to 19 mph or more for more than 1 minute and 30 seconds again.
If the outside air temperature sensor is cooler than the displayed temperature, the outside temperature
reading will decrease 1F (1C) every 2 seconds until the current outside temperature is displayed
regardless of vehicle speed.

Yah, I've seen this before. In my case it's not true. I can drive, and did today, in >100 degrees at 70+MPH and have the car say it's 85 out. For an hour.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts