Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know, honda dealerships believe that anything thats not OE is bad for the car. I can't see how Eibach, H&R, could make products that would damage the car. That would hurt their reputation and cause them alot of problems. But what I would like to know is this. Because of the increase stiffness of the springs/shocks, does this put more work on certain parts ( shock mounts, ball joints, tie rods etc.) and cause them to wear faster. Anyone who's an expert please tell me. ARE AFTERMARKET SPRINGS & SHOCKS BAD FOR THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Drop Dead Gorgeous
913 Posts
Aftermarket parts do put more stress on the car.

Its like adding a performance part like a supercharger or even an intake, the engine and tranny will have to work harder than they normally would.

While it is difficult to see how aftermarket companies would hurt their reputation by making parts that would damage a vehicle, but you must know that it is YOUR responsibility for what you install in your car and it has nothing to do with the aftermarket companies if something goes wrong with your car after the install. Hence, while some people might have bad experiences, other car owners who are into tuning and stuff, would most likely change their car before the effects of the aftermarket parts finally take its effect.

·
constantly in pursuit
4,250 Posts
well not all aftermarket parts are bad/put more stress on a vehicle. things that make the chassis lighter, reinforcements, strut bars, etc, help take some of the strain off the OEM stuff. also, things like intake and exhaust dont make the car work hard, they free it up a little, so that it wont work as hard. unless you're driving it harder, which is likely.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me ask you this. You have 2 accords. One with a aftermarket suspension and one with a stock supension. If you keep a car along time (200-300 miles) like me, can you expect to have more problems in the cars later life because you made these changes, than with the stock vechicle?

·
constantly in pursuit
4,250 Posts
i think there will be different problems, but not necessarily more. your stock stuff might blow around 80k. the aftermarket stuff could last longer, or blow sooner, depending on how high quality stuff you bought. you might get more rock chips on the bumper, and tend to scrape more with the lowered car, but thats really nothing some touchup paint cant fix. i would guess you're talking about actual mechanical problems, which i cant tell you much about. i havent had much experience. but you might also need tires more often if you're lowered, unless you correct the camber. just another thing to think about.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have H&R OE sport springs with tokico blues. A light setup. My mechanic at honda said that the noise I'm currently experiencing in the rear right is from the shock mounts. He yelled at me saying that if you didn't put in that aftermarket bull****, you wouldn't have these problems. He said that the stiffer setup puts more pressure on parts and wears them sooner.

·
Drop Dead Gorgeous
913 Posts
Werd with what Hammer said. If he's being an ******* I would rather pay somebody else to do my jobs. Just like when I wanted someone from V6P forums to help me with some smoked tails and steering wheel install... gave me an attitude when I discussed about price just a bit, so I just said F you and I rather take it to my friend's shop to do it for cheap.

·
V Go SoCal Drivers V
1,941 Posts
Aztro said:
Just like when I wanted someone from V6P forums to help me with some smoked tails and steering wheel install... gave me an attitude when I discussed about price just a bit, so I just said F you and I rather take it to my friend's shop to do it for cheap.
Who is it Aztro? So that everyone knows not to go to him...lol....Anyway, aftermarket suspension will wear out your stock parts faster than OEM, putting more stress on ball joints, stiffening the chassis, etc, it wasn't designed for the stiff handling. I/H/E setups won't wear out any OEM parts, if at all.....it's helping the engine not work as hard as it needed too...

·
Banned
5,438 Posts
bolt-on mods are benefical to the engine, more airflow,better fuel-economy,etc.

as for the suspension parts like springs, i am iffy about that one. Aftermarket shocks are better for the car like the Blistein or Koni Yellows. Because they can take more punishment thant the OEM shocks...

But regarding the aftermarket springs, i am not convinced that they are better than OEM springs...

i had comptechs for about 2 years now, and i am not really pleased with the handling benefit. At first i was thrilled to have the comptechs, but now the handling seems just marginal....

i agree for asthetic preferences aftermarket springs do work, but i would not recommand comptech agian, maybe eibach or HFP springs.....

Also don't forget sway bars, these will be better for the chassis, as they reinforce it..

my first choice would be the 04TL sways...

·
Trayslides make God happy
518 Posts
I've been reading alot lately on bmw forums and particulary e30 related boards since I still want a car like that ever since i had my old one. One thing I've learned from them is this - with suspension upgrades, comes the need for reinforcement and premature replacement of suspension components, especially if the car is driven hard. Thats one thing I don't hear many of us honda guys preaching to people that are insterested in beefier suspension parts. But really, no one really makes these components for our cars and most other hondas (except maybe civic's and crx's). With thicker sways your endlinks have more stress on them and preload while your car is resting. Performance suspensions put more stress on your control arm's and the bushings in them, along with tierods, upper shock mounts, and about anything else that goes w/ your suspension. My cars a good example of this, Just had to replace a lower tie rod end, I have one shock leaking fluid (tein ss coilover w/ 20k miles), a popping noise when I turn the wheel the passenger can feel in the floor board, full camber kits and proper alignment all around and my front tires still get neg. camber wear and my car pulls right. With all that said, the lesson I've learned is if you wanna play you gotta pay. With all the troubles my car is giving me right now, I still wouldnt have it any other way... definetly not stock.

·
constantly in pursuit
4,250 Posts
i think a lot of that has to do with driving style, not so much the load put on the car. yes, it does have an effect, but especially with the e30, which has become almost excusively an enthusiast car, you see a lot of people autox them and track them. so they see a lot more stress. just like 240s and rx7s, they have a lot more parts made for them suspension-wise, because there is a demand for it. unlike our cars.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fryd_Up said:
I've been reading alot lately on bmw forums and particulary e30 related boards since I still want a car like that ever since i had my old one. One thing I've learned from them is this - with suspension upgrades, comes the need for reinforcement and premature replacement of suspension components, especially if the car is driven hard. Thats one thing I don't hear many of us honda guys preaching to people that are insterested in beefier suspension parts. But really, no one really makes these components for our cars and most other hondas (except maybe civic's and crx's). With thicker sways your endlinks have more stress on them and preload while your car is resting. Performance suspensions put more stress on your control arm's and the bushings in them, along with tierods, upper shock mounts, and about anything else that goes w/ your suspension. My cars a good example of this, Just had to replace a lower tie rod end, I have one shock leaking fluid (tein ss coilover w/ 20k miles), a popping noise when I turn the wheel the passenger can feel in the floor board, full camber kits and proper alignment all around and my front tires still get neg. camber wear and my car pulls right. With all that said, the lesson I've learned is if you wanna play you gotta pay. With all the troubles my car is giving me right now, I still wouldnt have it any other way... definetly not stock.
I agree with what you said. My personal feeling and belief is this. The car should drive and perform the way you want stock. I have nothing against upgrading, but I would prefer not having to become a automotive engineer. When you leave the car alone you avoid the problems mentioned.

·
Banned
4,406 Posts
okay heres a quick list of results from just using springs:

1. your stock shocks will wear out pretty fast depending on how low you go
2. your tires will wear out uneven unless you get a camber kit
3. camber kits are expensive and a pain in the butt to put in
4. to properly set the camber, you gotta get an alignment

other then that, theres nothing wrong with lowering your car with springs. Hell I'm slammed 3 inches on coil overs, LOVE IT!

·
Smooth as Silk
345 Posts
camera said:
I agree with what you said. My personal feeling and belief is this. The car should drive and perform the way you want stock. I have nothing against upgrading, but I would prefer not having to become a automotive engineer. When you leave the car alone you avoid the problems mentioned.

:werd:

·
Registered
355 Posts
driven said:
okay heres a quick list of results from just using springs:

1. your stock shocks will wear out pretty fast depending on how low you go
2. your tires will wear out uneven unless you get a camber kit
3. camber kits are expensive and a pain in the butt to put in
4. to properly set the camber, you gotta get an alignment

other then that, theres nothing wrong with lowering your car with springs. Hell I'm slammed 3 inches on coil overs, LOVE IT!
whoa!!! 3 inches Jai???? dang...do yo have camber kits on it? Most likely you need front and back for a 3 inch drop...I have a 1,5 inch drop and I only needed rears...but yeah...your suspension is so low now that every bump will be exaggerated even more man...you need to get your suspension aligned like evry 3-5K FORSURE now

·
Banned
4,406 Posts
Wht2kAccord said:
whoa!!! 3 inches Jai???? dang...do yo have camber kits on it? Most likely you need front and back for a 3 inch drop...I have a 1,5 inch drop and I only needed rears...but yeah...your suspension is so low now that every bump will be exaggerated even more man...you need to get your suspension aligned like evry 3-5K FORSURE now
I havent gotten an alignment yet, I have my front camber kits on, they just need to be adjusted. I bought a rear camber and toe kit, but I havent installed them yet. Once its aligned I should only need an alignment once a year like everyone else. My car rides smoother then it did with a 1.5 inch drop.. ahh the wonders of coil overs. Unfortunatly I will need to take off my front bumper everytime I get it aligned. Doesnt matter to me, I am selling the car next year anyways..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts