Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
J35 6Spd
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going about 40-45 on rt 355 in rockville, Maryland... hit a harsh bump in the asphalt that was hard to see.. apparently the fork on the shock ripped off the metal tab that keeps it in place, pushing the bottom of the shock onto the axel. some material got worn off the axel.. and the rubber boot got chewed up a little bit too.

·
Adventure is out there!
2,941 Posts
dammm kai! that must have been a huge pothole!!!!! want to buy my gator glenn axles now?? :hide2: :rofl4: Just kidding.. still waiting on word, but yea hope you get it fixed soon! we got to see numbers!!! :up2:

i'm surprised your alignment wasn't off.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
Well, we'll be installing some Tien-SS soon enough. At least the axel is recoverable, just needs a new boot and some paint, I hope.

·
Hella Functional
4,960 Posts
how big was the hole??? I would assume the piston in the shock would compress first before exerting pressure on the plate on the bottom... did the piston completely just bottom out?

·
Registered
351 Posts
****ing koni shocks. That happened to me twice, within a month, and the bumps I hit weren't even that big. I had Koni Sp3's w/ H-techs. I liked them, but having to constantly worry about them slipping down the fork made me nervous. You would think koni would take a hint from pretty much every other shock/coilover set made for our cars and put some sort of ring around the base of the shock and weld it in place to help support the shock in the instance that you hit a bump that overwhelms the clamping force. The honda shocks are the best example of this, and actually have part of the shock body bowed out to support this ring. According to koni, I had talked to them numerous times, they were most unhelpful, the vehicles weight is supposed to be supported ENTIRELY by the clamping force of the pinch bolt. I can see a lot of the weight being supported by the clamping force, but due to the fact that this happened to me twice, you, and a number of other people that I have heard of, you would think they would have taken a hint.

I have mine sitting in a box in my garage. I have to send my passenger front shock in to be repaired before I sell them, though I am toying with the idea of just sending in both fronts and having them modify the shock in such a way that there is an actual support in place.

Either way, if you have koni shocks, crank the hell out of that pinch bolt...HARD.

Also, is it me or is the groove on the base of the shock facing the wrong way?

·
Very Inspired
1,069 Posts
i see you have stainless steel brake lines. Seriously though,it might help you feel like braking is better but those things are going to break if your car is lowered and with all the bad road conditions your driving. I know cause i had them before

·
J35 6Spd
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it wasnt even a pothole, it was a huge harsh bump in the road, but same idea. I suspect also that when I reassembled the suspension after putting in the J35 that I didnt properly load the suspension to finally tighten the fork.. so there may have been a small gap and when i hit the bump it slammed into the retaining piece of the shock.

LT- ha keep those GG axels, but if you really wanna cheer me up ill take the LSD.

yeah I am getting the tein ss coilovers that were for sale on v6p.. those should be fun.

haiyter-- why would the SS lines break with the car lowered?

·
J35 6Spd
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how big was the hole??? I would assume the piston in the shock would compress first before exerting pressure on the plate on the bottom... did the piston completely just bottom out?
I had the shocks set to full stiff, i believe the shock did bottom but the noise and feeling of it breaking caught my attention much more and i cant say for sure.

·
Nothing special
838 Posts
I had a koni slip as well, although it didnt make it all the way down to the axle thankfully. FYI I attempted to put some torque on the bolt holding the bottom of the shock in place and managed to torque the head off. I was lucky to find a local stealership that had the bolt in stock.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
Since these are completely out of warrenty I think I am going to try to weld a new stop on, we have stock struts as backup incase this fails and the strut lets go, but it is worth a shot, just have to cool the rest of the housing, probably submirse in water and do very short bursts with the mig welder.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts