Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have hit the mark where I have to get my tires rotated. I hear people just swap their tires themselves in a form of an X (front right to back left, etc..)

Is it simply that? or do the tires have to be taken out and then swap around the rim itself. this is weird to put it in writting, but the tire has a rotation arrow pointing to 1 directiono only, so if I just crossed it to the back, the arrow will be rotating backwards....

anyone have any idea what the deal is here?

thanks

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
WeifengSD said:
Hey guys, I have hit the mark where I have to get my tires rotated. I hear people just swap their tires themselves in a form of an X (front right to back left, etc..)

Is it simply that? or do the tires have to be taken out and then swap around the rim itself. this is weird to put it in writting, but the tire has a rotation arrow pointing to 1 directiono only, so if I just crossed it to the back, the arrow will be rotating backwards....

anyone have any idea what the deal is here?

thanks
those tires are called directional tires. the X rotation you speak off works ONLY on symmetrical tires with no directional tread. for tires with directional tread the simplest way to rotate tires is fwd to back and nothing else. if you want to follow the X rotation, the tires will need to be unmounted and remounted to allow the directional tread to point forward.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OOHH, I didnt know that there were 2 kinds of rotational tires.....which is the recomended way to rotate them? X or just front to back parallel? for these specific kind of tires?

This of course will be the first rotation in any form since first use.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
WeifengSD said:
OOHH, I didnt know that there were 2 kinds of rotational tires.....which is the recomended way to rotate them? X or just front to back parallel? for these specific kind of tires?

This of course will be the first rotation in any form since first use.
if you want to drop $$$ on mounting and remounting and balancing go ahead and go the x pattern. if you dont want to drop $$$ just do the simple front to back swap, i.e front left goes to back left, and back left to front left. repeat with right side.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well yeah, I was hoping that it would be that simple for the first rotation, to just do it myself without any $$$ involved. as the alightment should not be a problem. if this parallel rotation works, then I will go with this one. Then on my next one I can do the remount X rotation.
So this parallel rotation, front right to back right, rotates the tires just fine as far as the tread life if concern?

thanks for the help.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
WeifengSD said:
Well yeah, I was hoping that it would be that simple for the first rotation, to just do it myself without any $$$ involved. as the alightment should not be a problem. if this parallel rotation works, then I will go with this one. Then on my next one I can do the remount X rotation.
So this parallel rotation, front right to back right, rotates the tires just fine as far as the tread life if concern?

thanks for the help.
not really because the camber effect is still the same. the tire will still ride on the inside tread.

it does help negate some effects but not a lot. really the best thing to do is a straight up x rotation. but then again enh.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mmmm, alright, I will see whats best, if its like 10 bucks for tire rotation and balance, then i might just do it.

·
rectum damn near killed m
148 Posts
WeifengSD said:
mmmm, alright, I will see whats best, if its like 10 bucks for tire rotation and balance, then i might just do it.

if you go to a tire shop (i worked at one for years) they will do the same left front to left rear swap and not a dismount remount to do a X. (too much chance of f'ing up the tire beads or the rim).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh really? mmmmmmmm, so do you know whats the diff by doing the parallel rotation compared to X rotation? in terms of tread life.

Cause if a shop will just do the parallel rotation, then I can do it myself. crossing fingers for the balance to stay fine.

·
rectum damn near killed m
148 Posts
all depends on the car/ tires. it is generally better to do a X swap, but its not like you will be doing harm to your tires to do a front back swap. (path of least resistance or harm to car/ tires). it would be WAY worse for you to do an X swap with directional tires (really kills them fast and makes the car handle like crap=dangerous). so go ahead and do it at home if you feel like it...But if you've done about 4-5,000 miles go ahead and go to a shop and have them rebalance them when they do a front back swap that way you will have the correct amount of weight in the right spot.

different subject and a good mental note for everybody...I have seen way too many tires/ rims w/ more that 1 weight (hammered or taped on the outside or insides of the rim....THIS IS WRONG/ CRAP) they should only have 1 weight on 1 side of the rim. all that means is they are lazy if you see this on your rims have them take all the weights off the rim and rebalance it so there is 1 weight on each side which is better for you and the tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts