Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
work in progress
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nobody has answered the question in the other thread, posted in the 7th gen section. I've searched high and low but no definitive answers for the 6th gen.

The TL Brembos that come on the 6MT 04+ TLs and TL Type-S work with the 7th gen. You just need 04 TL 6MT Knuckles, Calipers, Discs, and Tie Rod Ends.

So the question that I'm asking is, will that same combination work with the 6th Gen AV6. If it does, that is my next mod. I've been wanting to do something with my brakes but I can't afford a true BBK, nor do I want the flashy BIG RED calipers offered from Rotora.

The Rotora BBK is something like $1500-$1800 I can't remember. But this swap, depending on the deals you get, should only run about half that. I figure $700-$1000 which isn't bad at all.

Does anybody know if this will work? Speculation is welcome, but only if you know what you're talking about (NVA-AV6, Richie V6...those kinda guys that know everything about Hondas).

Thank you very much guys, hopefully this will get us 6th gen's moving and stopping in the right direction for a good price.

·
LaLaLaLa
4,852 Posts
Does anybody know if this will work? Speculation is welcome, but only if you know what you're talking about (NVA-AV6, Richie V6...those kinda guys that know everything about Hondas).
obviously no one is gonna chime in if you say that...

i'd put my money that theres gonna be lots of custom work - since i havent heard of many 7th gen'ers doing legend brakes (which you would know fit perfectly into our car with a 2-piston system) and would be a great upgrade for them as well

so if thats the case, then i would conclude that the TLs would probably not fit onto our existing brackets and you would need to relocate alot and fab alot...

·
work in progress
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't mean offense by it. What I meant was just that I didn't want a kleptodatheif type character coming in here and being like "Yeah man it should work, yatta yatta blah blah."

I just wanted the input of someone that I could rely on and trust in their opinions and their observations. Because from the looks of it, if I want this done, I'm going to have to trial and error but I'd obviously rather not do that for the financial hardships of it.

I would do the Legend calipers but they just don't have the look I want. I like the performance enhancement but the look is also very important to me.

·
Ricky
1,402 Posts
Would assume youd just need to have some brackets fabbed : shrug: ... yeah ur not gonna get any responses that way LOL..

·
LaLaLaLa
4,852 Posts
I didn't mean offense by it. What I meant was just that I didn't want a kleptodatheif type character coming in here and being like "Yeah man it should work, yatta yatta blah blah."

I just wanted the input of someone that I could rely on and trust in their opinions and their observations. Because from the looks of it, if I want this done, I'm going to have to trial and error but I'd obviously rather not do that for the financial hardships of it.

I would do the Legend calipers but they just don't have the look I want. I like the performance enhancement but the look is also very important to me.
no offense taken - ummm yeah if you are looking into trying to get TLs onto our car, you should just take it to a shop and see if they can make something up for you

even if you were mechanically inclined, i think there would be alot of stuff you need to customize rather than just figure out and match up

remember the new TL's platform has no interchangeable parts (except rims) with our accord - its based off the 7th gen accord (sways, struts, engine bay etc) so i think the brake setup would be a lot different too

...maybe NVA would know whats up?

·
Registered
72 Posts
i believe there's brief discussion about it over 7th gen forum and was concluded not worth or final cost is very close to aftermarket kit (if i remembered correctly) on 7th gen.

since 6th / 7th gen and TL are so similar in chassis layout i think it's doable but it'd involve parts other than master cylinder/ caliper

·
Hella Functional
4,960 Posts
Psst... Integra Type R Aftermarket Calipers are a direct swap for our cars. I remember seeing some used StopTech Calipers on Ebay for Type Rs that went for extremely cheap

·
Banned
5,438 Posts
what is the piston size for the ITR calipers ?

IMHO whoton, i think you can get the legend calipers to look good also. You can get them powercoated or you can paint yourself and they would look amazing.

best of all the legend calipers cost about $100.

the only advantage the TL calipers have is the 4 piston to the 2 piston of the legend calipers.

·
Derek
686 Posts
For the legend calipers, what year would fit the 02 V6 Accord sedan? Also, are both the front/rears available, anyone ever see them on ebay?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
if they fit 7th gen they will fit 6th. i brought mqike bbk off him and he had it on his 7th gen and it was a direct bolt on!

·
work in progress
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if they fit 7th gen they will fit 6th. i brought mqike bbk off him and he had it on his 7th gen and it was a direct bolt on!
That's really good information chiefy. If you didn't have to do any modifications to install the BBK from a 7th gen onto your 6th gen, than that means all I need to do is get the same stuff the 7th gen guys have to; a TL knuckle, tie rods, calipers, rotors... Right? I think so...

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
pretty much. like i said i got the kit from mike who had it on a 7th gen and i installed it on my 6th with no modifications. all i had to do was get a spacer lol. but that all depends on what rims you have.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
Rm clearence is always an issue with brembo/wilwood/ect.. 4 pot calipers, if I remeber reading the 7th gen thread right, the one person who did it ended up needing the tl-s knockles and even those had to be modified, IMO, not worth it, brakes are something I don't screw around with and would just get a aftermarket 4 pot kit that fits right.

·
work in progress
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rm clearence is always an issue with brembo/wilwood/ect.. 4 pot calipers, if I remeber reading the 7th gen thread right, the one person who did it ended up needing the tl-s knockles and even those had to be modified, IMO, not worth it, brakes are something I don't screw around with and would just get a aftermarket 4 pot kit that fits right.
If I remember that 7th gen thread correctly, they didn't have to modify the knuckle, but they did have to install the knuckle. My family owns an auto repair shop so I can get all these parts at cost, the knuckle doesn't bother me, I think I actually need to replace some of those bushings because I'm hearing clanking up front anyway.

Richie is digging around looking into it for me, he says he thinks he remembers seeing it done, he's looking for the thread.

Chiefy are you ever in S FLa? I would love to see the setup. NVA, lemme ask you this question, if chiefy installed a 7th gen BBK with no mods to the suspension...and the 7th gen guys can bolt them up with TL knuckle and tie rods than wouldn't that mean that I'd just have to get TL knuckles and tie rods also?

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
Without having done it myself, I can't say for sure one way or another. The parts look the same, but do have different part numbers for the 6th and 7th gen.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts