Accord V6 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
work in progress
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Okay, Richie found the thread he was looking for. According to Honda_99 this swap can be done with only a wheel spacer. The drawback to using the wheel spacer is, again according to him, that you would only be able to run a 7" wide wheel because the spacer would push the wheel 7.62 mm further outward. And due to it being further outward, a wider rim than 7" would make you rub.

I'm waiting on confirmation from Honda_99 because his post is two years old, but I'm hoping that he will confirm it. For me, I don't mind it at all because I've always wanted to flare my car, kind of like an Audi RS4, and this gives me the excuse to do it.

I figure with the flares installed and the spacer, the TL-S stocks like Viet's, which is the wheel I plan on running will fit nice and flush and look very nice, with the Brembo's sitting behind them.

If he's right, that means that we can install TL 6MT Brembos on our cars for the added cost of a spacer and longer wheel studs. Which translates into less than $50 for everything needed. That's incredible!

So, depending on where I can get what and for how much, I may be able to have this swap done for anywhere from $500-$800 if I can get the calipers cheap from a junk yard. I'm so excited guys!!

Here is link to the thread btw, where he posts this information. There is a second option, but not even worth mentioning here I think.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66848&highlight=caliper

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Just got done putting OEM Civic Si brakes on my car :D
Much better bite and fade resistance then those pesky 282mm x 23mm rotors.
The Si brakes are 300mm x 25mm
Weight went from 12.5 to 16lbs, worth it in my opinion, also put the Si calipers on too :)

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Pics? The weight of the calipers increased from 12.5 to 16?
I'll go for some pics today, nah thats the weight of the rotors, using a scale that does .5lb increments. I think the calipers are a tad lighter from the Si, at least my bro seems to think so.

Heres his 8thcivic.com thread on it, should help clarify some stuff:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/susp...c-si-front-brakes-my-lx-impressions-pics.html

The ~25% difference in weight comes fromthe extra .7" in diameter and 2mm thicker rotor. Its a much better heat sink and possibly much more affordable. I swapped my stock brakes onto my bros 07 Civic LX so he went from 10.3 to 11.8 to 11.1 he likes the brake torque of my brakes because they are not as touchy as the Si brakes but part of that is the brake pad and caliper/piston size. The Si brakes are however very responsive short and high pedal feel. Barely touch them and they work and I mean that in a good way. The stock brakes felt mushier perhaps from the cermaic brake pads but the travel was also much longer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dunno man, seems like a lotta trouble..... for what again????
what's wrong with wilwood? it's 4 piston and designed for 6th gen.
and very reasonably priced.

unless you're getting' 6,8 or a 12 piston setup from this swap I dont
see the benefit for the hassle . 99% of car owners dont have a full auto shop at their disposal.

didn't i see you on the wilwood group buy????

my analysis says in this order
1) Legend calipers
2) Wilwood
3) scour the classifieds
4) the rest...........

·
Registered
23 Posts
adding wheel spacers and longer studs is not OE fitment. I'm not a big fan of pushing the wheels out further with spacers.

I dont want to curb your enthusiasm, but if this can be implemented quite cheaply and effectively, then i'm all for it. even i'll look into it.
because brembos are $2,600 retail for 2pc 4 piston rotors.

hence, alot of competition for that kinda money & specs, including this swap.

but since you're harping on them so much. did you purchase the brakes yet? are they easy to find and cheap?

/edit/
ok just read honda_99 info. have to use spacers. so for $800 you can get brembos with the wheels sticking out. so flare the fender or reduce rim width. take your pick.

·
work in progress
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well I'm no longer in the financial position to attempt the swap. I have gone back to school and thus I don't have a full-time job anymore :D So, I'm not sure how much I can get my hands on them for... but I did estimate $500-$800 total cost. That estimate was based on high and low, if I could get used or new, used at a good price...$500. New calipers and rotors and pads $800.

I know that's more then the Willwood's but call me crazy, I'd rather have the Brembos off the TL.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I would strongly prefer the TL brembro's over the wilwoods from the GB.

The first time i saw those brakes i was wondering how much they were so i could see if i can get them to fit...

·
4.0L
9,440 Posts
nice avatar eric.

It would be nice if these brakes were a direct swap...I would be down to have "ACURA" calipers to go with my "A" wheels :D

21 - 32 of 32 Posts