Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a 6th Generation Accord V6 sedan and I just purchased a set of rims off a 2004 acura TL. with 235-45-17 tires. After doing some research in previous forums I learned that I'm not the only one with the rubbing problem in the back. I don't want to get rid of the rims because I really like them, so all I could think of was to buy smaller tires for them...either 225-45-17 or 215-45-17 if I have to. I don't want to go with a lower side wall than 45 because I would like to keep the quality of the ride. Am I wasting my money if I buy new tires? Is there anything else that can be done to improve my "rubbage"?
Help

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I was in the exact same boat as you and I got rid of the wheels.

What you can do is get 225 tires and roll the back lip in the fenders, that should solve your problem (almsot 100% sure).

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
bleh, just get stiffer springs..and match it with better dampers. rubbing solved.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
OwAce said:
bleh, just get stiffer springs..and match it with better dampers. rubbing solved.
For the front I can see that happening but it would stil rub in the back with the upgraded springs and shocks at their stiffest, unless he kept it at stock height.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
Accord_V6_400m said:
For the front I can see that happening but it would stil rub in the back with the upgraded springs and shocks at their stiffest, unless he kept it at stock height.
i guess. i had maybe an inch of movement between my fender and tire. thats how stiff my d2s were set. :D

and that inch of movt would come from REALLY stiff bumps/dips.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
OwAce said:
i guess. i had maybe an inch of movement between my fender and tire. thats how stiff my d2s were set. :D

and that inch of movt would come from REALLY stiff bumps/dips.
Yeah its just too bad that he putin on a sedan, the coupes don't seem to have a problem with them.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
Accord_V6_400m said:
Yeah its just too bad that he putin on a sedan, the coupes don't seem to have a problem with them.
id say one 1" of movt would be ok to prevent rubbing. if you dont have 1" inch of clearance to your fender. you are dropped way to low, and your negatively affecting your handling.

deuzezwild step in here at any time and help out please. :cool:

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
OwAce said:
id say one 1" of movt would be ok to prevent rubbing. if you dont have 1" inch of clearance to your fender. you are dropped way to low, and your negatively affecting your handling.

deuzezwild step in here at any time and help out please. :cool:
Thats pretty much what have or about two fingers gap in the back, well this topic is pretty much done I suppose :p

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
stllplyswcars said:
I own a 6th Generation Accord V6 sedan and I just purchased a set of rims off a 2004 acura TL. with 235-45-17 tires. After doing some research in previous forums I learned that I'm not the only one with the rubbing problem in the back. I don't want to get rid of the rims because I really like them, so all I could think of was to buy smaller tires for them...either 225-45-17 or 215-45-17 if I have to. I don't want to go with a lower side wall than 45 because I would like to keep the quality of the ride. Am I wasting my money if I buy new tires? Is there anything else that can be done to improve my "rubbage"?
Help

You can sell them to me :D ....In my opinion they dont look right on 6th gen...if you decide to sell them can I call dibs ? I'm in So. Cal. well

Rick

·
62 Posts
The rubbing will go away eventually. That's what happened with me. It still rubs but very seldomly, only when I go over speed bumps with 3 passengers in the back. Also it is the rear bump that is getting rubbed, not the fender.

·
constantly in pursuit
4,250 Posts
typeraccord01 said:
Also it is the rear bump that is getting rubbed, not the fender.
care to explain that one further?

rolling your fenders would probably fix everything, unless the wheels are sticking out from the fenders.

OwAce said:
thats not necessarily true, you can very easily get the suspension components set up in such a way that any reasonable drop, i.e. short of scraping the ground or perpetually bottoming out the springs, with the right equipment you can really have any ride height you want without negatively affecting the handling. i mean, look at the drifter kids with the wheels completely tucked in their fenders.

·
62 Posts
I'm not sure that the fender is rubbing the tire, I know for sure that my rear bump has rubbed out the shape of the tire. The first bolt for the rear bumper has a tab that sticks out that causes the rubbing. Now the tab is rubbed off and i dont get any more rubbing.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Well here are some pics I have aquired of sedans with TL rims back in the day when I had the same problem this should more accuratley describe his situation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts