Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hella Functional
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys account for the deterioriation of the system after shock from driving?

I'm assuming Harddrives are not meant to be placed into a situation such as those.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Yea, my dad commented on this, and im sure for your standard full size drives they would not like the shock at all, expecially for those with high spring rates and who like to hit turns agressively.

My mac mini has a hitachi 7200rpm 100gb laptop drive in it, and has been in use for about 2 years, 1 of those in my car. Never had a problem at all. the thing runs at 160-170 when its super hot outside, but it keeps running strong... But thats a laptop drive, so its designed to handle SOME abuse. Ive dropped a 40gb one 5 feet and it was fine, where i dropped a 40gb full size drive like 1 feet and it failed...

I need to take that drive out of my carputer sometime, as i dont need a high speed 100gb drive for a carputer application, and im sure its less reliable due to it being the fastest laptop drive you can get as of a year ago..And it would not be cool at all if that drive failed.. Id rather have a cheapo one in there...

so, ANYWAYS... id say get a cheap drive and mount it on rubber bands in a optical drive bay and it should be fine...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use a laptop so the hard drive is more resistible to shock.. Hard drives are so cheap these days anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts