Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if I can't explain my situation well enough.

I have an 03 Automatic V6 Accord Coupe...for the past month I have been experiencing slipping of the tranny from 2nd to 3rd gear.

I took it to the dealer that I bought it from on or about June 27th...got the recall performed [35,000 miles] and had them test the trans for me. They did the recall [oil jet kit, thats all heh] and gave me back my car and told me the problem with the trans was due to my "18 inch wheels and tires throwing the gear ratio off" Ok, we ALL know that is complete bull-ish :mad: So fine. I take my car and of course it continues to have the same problem. It gets quite annoying on my 25+ mile drive to and from work everyday when it goes from 2nd to 3rd it hesitates then jerks into gear.

Well I couldn't take it any longer...so I decide to take it to a different dealership that won't blame the prob on my wheels. I am running outta time as my warranty expires at 36,000 for me will be like next week. So this dealership road tests my Accord and tells me they cannot duplicate the problem. I am furious as I KNOW this happens to me ALL THE TIME :mad: So they tell me to come in and go on a road test with the technician. So I do that last nite...it was in bad traffic and of course would not duplicate my problem ugh. I told him it ONLY happened when it was the 2nd to 3rd shift and that he has to be able to drive the car normally, not in traffic.

They then tell me that I only have ONE option: They take apart the whole transmission and inspect it...if something is wrong, they fix it...if not, then I pay FOUR hours of labor at $92/hr for them to do that.

Ugh...what is stopping them from telling me nothing wrong when I know there is and me having to pay almost $400?!?!?!

So anyway, my boyfriend then takes over cuz i was getting quite upset...he then takes the tech out on another road test to show him the problem. Well it wasn't really doing it for him either!!!! Ugh!!! But then he had to really get on it and it happened twice. The tech tried to say it was just hitting the rev limiter thats why it was doing this heh...my BF said no thats not it. So the next time it happens the tech is watching the RPMs...when it was "slipping" or whatever its doing for me, the RPMs are revving all the way up to redline before it shifts...thats NOT normal.

So now the tech has seen the problem...however, since it was my BF driving they think it was ONLY doing that cuz he punched it [it normally happens when I'm driving normal too, any time the tranny shifts from 2nd to 3rd].

Then they try to tell me that its just "normal characteristics of the trans" BULL-ISH...then how come all of you guys with over 35,000 miles don't have this problem?? heh...

Now after that point...is when they decided to keep it again 2day and road test it some more. I just REALLY hope they drive it like I told them to instead of only testing it for like 5 miles. Cuz this happens to me ALL the time...not sometimes, ALL the time.

I guess the reason I'm posting this is to get any opinions on this matter...maybe some recommendations as to what I can tell the tech, etc. I wanna try to avoid having them take apart the tranny, in case its not something in the trans thats wrong and I have to pay $400. Is it possible that there could be another problem and NOT the trans??

Also what makes me mad...is at the 1st dealer I took it to, when they did the tranny recall, they didn't inspect the 2nd gear like I thought they were suppose to. They just installed the oil jet kit and sent me on my way...

Please any advice, thoughts, comments are very appreciated. I really need this problem taken care of...and really don't know what to do.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you can't get them to duplicate the problem, kindly ask them to formally document the problem in their system---mileage, customer complaint, etc.

Then, at 37k when it blows up, you can go back in and point out that this was an issue several thousand miles ago while it was under warranty.

By the sounds of it, Honda of America will be on your side if this does happen and you have to call Honda of America.

Good luck.
Shumax

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine does the same things, slips into 3rd(most of the times when WOT), then quickly shifts into 4th. i took it to the dealer, had the recall done, they couldn't duplicate the problem. I pretty much just learned to live with it. I have an open case with Honda, so when it fails i will be on the phone with them!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
wow im so sorty to hear about that. i dont like how dealerships say they cant hear/see the probelms when they try to replicate them. another reason why i want to sell my car asap. i feel its a ticking bomb before the tranny goes out.

·
7th Gen ACcord
3,671 Posts
call honda america and tell them your problem. im guessing since your warranty is almost out they trying to deny it. so when it does blow you'll be out of warranty.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Doesn't the 7G AV6 have a 7 year/100k mile warranty on the powertrain? I'd just wait until it gets worse and have it fixed then.

·
Registered
173 Posts
anybody here with a Av6 2004 have this problem? it seems most 2003 v6's have this problem..My 2004 AV6 shifts nice and swiftly, but of course I only have 14,000 miles.. But so far I haven't seen anybody on this forum with a 2004 v6 tranny go out on them.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
jamesV6 said:
anybody here with a Av6 2004 have this problem? it seems most 2003 v6's have this problem..My 2004 AV6 shifts nice and swiftly, but of course I only have 14,000 miles.. But so far I haven't seen anybody on this forum with a 2004 v6 tranny go out on them.
there are early 04 owners who have had tranny problems. it seems to be as if the accord models that were under the recall for teh oil kit are at risk.

·
Registered
173 Posts
wj4 said:
there are early 04 owners who have had tranny problems. it seems to be as if the accord models that were under the recall for teh oil kit are at risk.

I guess I should be fine since I purchased my car last year of september and nevered asked for a recall for the oil jet kit

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an 04 built in February or March (can't remember), and it supposedly was after the recall and has an "improved" transmission from the factory. So I would think most 04s are not affected. But I'm still very low mileage, so we'll see how it lasts.

AccordEXGirl, since yours was one of the recalls, you're probably at the start of bigger problems, especially since you got to 35k before the recall work. Even the retrofit seems half-assed, and I wouldn't be surprised if Honda has to extend the transmission warranty model-wide on these as well. I would definitely call Honda of America about this now, and make sure to mention how your dealer didn't inspect the gear first like they're supposed to, etc.. and you want the transmission fully checked out to see if it should have had the more involved replacement recall done instead at no cost.

But since the dealers are hardly ever that nice, and if you plan to keep the car for a while, I would bite the bullet and buy a 7yr/100k extended warranty for about $900 to play it safe. Search the edmunds forums for the cheapest places.

·
Registered
554 Posts
i thought when they issued the recall for the oil jet, they extended the warranty on the tranny for all auto 03 and 04 models to 100k??

I have a auto 04, and sometimes, when im on the highway and im slowing down-
Say i was going 65, and im slowing down to say 30-40ish im pressing the break, and my rpms bump up to like 2.5-3k and it actually sounds/feels like im giving it gas, but in fact im pressing the breaks.
Then it will "catch" and the rpms jump back down to where they should be...

Thats the only problem i have with my tranny...
It does it like maybe once every couple of months...
Ive had the recall performed on my car, but it still does it.
I dont dare bring it in, cuz I KNOW they wont be able to reproduce the problem, and they'll jus point fingers at my intake or something....
Sorta like when my nav was acting crazy not working, and i brought it in and they pointed to my subs/amp

·
Registered
554 Posts
exgurl i thought u sold/ were selling ya accord for a evo????

·
Registered
836 Posts
DeezV604 said:
i thought when they issued the recall for the oil jet, they extended the warranty on the tranny for all auto 03 and 04 models to 100k??

I have a auto 04, and sometimes, when im on the highway and im slowing down-
Say i was going 65, and im slowing down to say 30-40ish im pressing the break, and my rpms bump up to like 2.5-3k and it actually sounds/feels like im giving it gas, but in fact im pressing the breaks.
Then it will "catch" and the rpms jump back down to where they should be...

Thats the only problem i have with my tranny...
It does it like maybe once every couple of months...
Ive had the recall performed on my car, but it still does it.
I dont dare bring it in, cuz I KNOW they wont be able to reproduce the problem, and they'll jus point fingers at my intake or something....
Sorta like when my nav was acting crazy not working, and i brought it in and they pointed to my subs/amp
sounds like grade logic downshifting to provide engine braking.

·
Deceptively Quick...
339 Posts
That it is! I love this feature, but it does take a little getting used to. HTH;)

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
If your (seemingly) best option is to pay the labor for inspection. Just buy the extended warranty for 900 or whatever, and cover your ass.

·
Registered
148 Posts
wait so do the 7th gen have tranny problems too? cuz i was thinking of trading in my 6th gen av6 but now if the 7th gen has probs too **** that im going with nissan hehe, also im planning to get a manual any probs there?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts