Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Superccord
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Want to ugrade the sound system

Hey how's everyone doing?

Well I was thinking that I might want to update my sound system. Thing is, like many of 7gen accord owners, I don't want to change the HU. So I was wondering if it was possible to get an AMP or anything to still get good sound quality from my HU?

Also, I have another question. I am a complete newb when it comes to this but what exactley will I have to upgrade? I have about 900.00 1000.00 to spend on all of this. Do you guys think I could pull off a good sound system with this amount of money?

What exactley will I need? A Sub? I did not really want to take up all the trunk space... but as long as it sounds better I'm fine with it. What about the door speakers? Back speakers? And so on.

Thanks.

·
Sponsored by my bank acct
229 Posts
Boovila said:
Hey how's everyone doing?

Well I was thinking that I might want to update my sound system. Thing is, like many of 7gen accord owners, I don't want to change the HU. So I was wondering if it was possible to get an AMP or anything to still get good sound quality from my HU?

Also, I have another question. I am a complete newb when it comes to this but what exactley will I have to upgrade? I have about 900.00 1000.00 to spend on all of this. Do you guys think I could pull off a good sound system with this amount of money?

What exactley will I need? A Sub? I did not really want to take up all the trunk space... but as long as it sounds better I'm fine with it. What about the door speakers? Back speakers? And so on.

Thanks.
It really depends on how picky you are with sound quality. Being an audiophile, I personally don't think that if I initially have a budget of 1g that I'll buy everything, ex. speaker components, amps, sub, processor, etc. to fit 1g. Because you'll have an assortment of low-end, average components that don't add up to a good system.

So the way I go about it is in various stages. For example:

Stage 1:
Spend 800-900 on two front coaxial speakers (Infinity Kappas, Diamond Audio, Focal's, etc) and a good 4 ch. amp (the new Alpine amps, JL audio amps, etc.)

Work, make your money and onto Stage 2:
Spend 800-900 on a sub (JL's 12w3v2, Alpine's Type R).

Hustle, pimp, rob a jewlery store (and tell em make me a grill) and onto Stage 3:
Spend 300 on a cleansweep.

In the end, after 2-3 years you'll have high end components rather than low-end-average stuff.

G'luck!

·
Superccord
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well to be honest with you, I am not really an audiophile. I just want a decent sound system. The one in the accord now sounds too ... hmm muffled.

But my main concern was do you think I could run everything off my oem hu?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Boovila said:
Well to be honest with you, I am not really an audiophile. I just want a decent sound system. The one in the accord now sounds too ... hmm muffled.

But my main concern was do you think I could run everything off my oem hu?
Im with ya on this one. I would love to do an upgrade to my factory HU. To me, living in Phoenix, an aftermarket system only screams "STEAL ME". I think the Accord factory system lacks oomph, and would benefit from a 10" sub and decent replacement speakers. Keep in mind that factory speakers are below even average aftermarket systems....so a simple speaker swap to factory locations and a decent sub would make a world of difference to most people.

Has anyone used the infinity sub that is plug and play? I forget the name...

·
yeaaaaaa
294 Posts
moistener said:
It really depends on how picky you are with sound quality. Being an audiophile, I personally don't think that if I initially have a budget of 1g that I'll buy everything, ex. speaker components, amps, sub, processor, etc. to fit 1g. Because you'll have an assortment of low-end, average components that don't add up to a good system.

Stage 1:
Spend 800-900 on two front coaxial speakers (Infinity Kappas, Diamond Audio, Focal's, etc) and a good 4 ch. amp (the new Alpine amps, JL audio amps, etc.)

Hustle, pimp, rob a jewlery store (and tell em make me a grill) and onto Stage 3:

In the end, after 2-3 years you'll have high end components rather than low-end-average stuff.

G'luck!
800-900 on a sub? JL 12w3's only cost like 130-150 bucks.

·
Stalls @ every light
586 Posts
To answer the HU question ... Yes! I replaced all four speakers with Polk Momos and went with the matching Polk 4 ch amp. Spent around 1K and I think it sounds great.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have a pretty powerful system and still have the factory head unit. Take it from me, the factory head unit is plenty for me. I'm not really an audiophile, but I did a dB drag and got 136.8 dB out of the factory head unit. The say if I had an aftermarket unit, id be over 143 dB but whatever, I mean who the F wants that much power anyways!

·
Superccord
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see. So that's good that I could run it from the OEM head unit.

So do you guys have any advice or anything on which ones to go for and exactley what I need? Thanks

·
I feel da need 4 6-speeds
2,313 Posts
I spent way more than $1K for mine...MBQuartz all around, JLAudio 10w6 custom sub, 2 Alpine amps, JLAudio CleanSweep. I consider myself an audiophile and I like my sound clean. I made a brief sound clip inside my car. Check it out here (hope you have good computer speakers). :D

www.salominojr.neptune.com

password: comptechvid

click on the "playas only" vid.

For $1K, I'd replace the rear 6x9's...add a sub...try to get 2 amps.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
i consider myself to be picky with sound, but not quite an audiophile. i spent a total of $200 on my system including all wiring, fuses, $20 line-output converter, used 65rms 4ch amp, some used 6.5 kappas, and used 80rms 6x9 kenwoods.

a new cleansweep wouldve tripled the total cost of my setup, which im already darn happy with. i just dont think it wouldve tripled the SQ, so i just went with a run of the mill LOC from best buy.

electrical noise is not noticeable to me, except at low volumes, when the car is off, and it is quiet outside.

well-amped 6x9's make enough mid-bass and bass for my ears. imo, the two amped 6x9's sound like an amped 8" sub. a 10" sub would be overkill for me (ive had one before), but tahts only for my personal tastes.

oo also: some amps have line-level (speaker-level) input, and that would void the necessity for an external LOC.

·
yeaaaaaa
294 Posts
flyvtec said:
I spent way more than $1K for mine...MBQuartz all around, JLAudio 10w6 custom sub, 2 Alpine amps, JLAudio CleanSweep. I consider myself an audiophile and I like my sound clean. I made a brief sound clip inside my car. Check it out here (hope you have good computer speakers). :D

a black page pops up after i click "enter site" ?

·
I feel da need 4 6-speeds
2,313 Posts
Are you using Internet Explorer as your browser and disabled your popup blockers? I use Mozilla Firefox sometimes and Neptune will not work with this browser.

I'm here at work and it's working fine. Not sure what the problem is...

BTW...nice wheels man! :D

·
Why try?
326 Posts
flyvtec said:

i see lara's 40th and some other album

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
moistener said:

Stage 1:

G'luck!
800-900 for front coaxials?!?!?! :banghead: :rolleye2: Thats just insane, lol. Id rather get components for that much. Nice coaxials can be bought for like 200 if not less. If anyone is gonna spend 1g for front speakers get components.

·
Sponsored by my bank acct
229 Posts
maying856 said:
800-900 for front coaxials?!?!?! :banghead: :rolleye2: Thats just insane, lol. Id rather get components for that much. Nice coaxials can be bought for like 200 if not less. If anyone is gonna spend 1g for front speakers get components.
If you read carefully I included a 4ch amp in that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts