Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past few weeks both me and my roommate have been victims of online auto trade frauds. These occured primarily because a unethical person was able to obtain pictures of cars and then listed them for sale under the "i am in europe story"

Anyhow, details..

My roommate has been trying to sell his celica for about a month now, he listed it on ebay twice and got no offers. one fine day he has 4 pms on newcelica, saying yoru car is on autotrader, and yahoo autos. turned out someone lifted pics off newcelica.org and then used them along with the description he had on newcelica.

he then made an id, that was my roommates name followed by [email protected] and listed a whole "i am in europe" story and crap like that. it took us 2 weeks to take the car off both yahoo autos and autotrader.

while searching for that, I FOUND MY CAR up there as well, being sold under the same guise, however since we had dealt with yahoo autos and autotrader they took it off straight away.

in a very similar situation i was a purchaser of such a car, when i was offered 2nd chance on an audi. turned out the guy hacked into the sellers account, after the auction was over, and sent out the offers to everyone who had bid on the car.

The offer came in the format of an EBAY email which was ridiculously authentic. The only thing that threw me off was the users name and the name he signed off with (i./e thanks john doe) were different.

In anycase, the point of this thread is to make you guys aware of posting pics up of our rides online, and if possible insert a watermark of somesort to prevent such stuff from happening.

If somehow the mods on this forum could prevent pictrues from being downloaded that would be great. I know certain websites do not allow you to right click on pictures or even save the screen.

Just looking out for everyone and warning them about online lurkers.

·
Vimal (vee-mall)
4,418 Posts
i watermark all my photoshops for a similar reason. i've had 2 of my chops taken, they cut off my "knightryder" sig i usually put on the pics and claimed it as there own. luckily they were two chops which i didnt really care for, but i still got the moderators of those sites to pull the pics and "warn" or ban the guys.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its essentially a situation, where the mods would have to use software to prevent picture theft. its a PITA, but i just thought id mention this issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts