Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Powerslots on my front axle only, paired them with Hawk HPS pads like EVERYone on this board talks about. My tires were replaced with 17" 225/45 Kumo ASX. I have to admit, there was very little improvement over the OEM but I was just hoping the rotors wouldn't get warped every 10,000 miles like the stocks.

Well, 8 months and 13,000 miles later, my steering wheel is vibrating violently at 75mph+ and regular braking feels to be fading...anyone know what i can do? Can these slotted brakes be resurfaced?

and I was going to install the rear discs and hps pads (purchased already), but am now thinking twice...

·
I feel da need 4 6-speeds
2,313 Posts
sorry to hear that man. i'm surprised your rotors warped after only 13k miles! i had a different experience with my rotors/pads. my powerslots worked great for over 2 years and approx 30K miles. my ceramicool ceramic brake pads started to make intermittent squealing noise after 2 years of driving. i decided to replace the pads with akebono pro-act ceramics. the squealing noise became WORSE!!!

i took my car to a local tire/brake shop and asked them if they could resurface my rotors. they told me that they don't resurface slotted rotors. i didn't believe them so i asked another shop and they told me the same thing!

i decided to buy ebc slotted rotors to match the akebonos and i have no noise or brake dusting issue. this combo works great for my daily driving habits.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so anyone have any experience actually getting these resurfaced?

some people online say that not installing the rear pair, the fronts are worked harder and get worn out faster, but i doubt if there's any truth behind that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so it's pretty much game over...i'll have to buy a new pair of front rotors all together if that's the case.

i have to go against popular concensus on this board and say in my personal experience, powerslots are junk. :mad:

·
346hp/300tq @ 4psi
3,014 Posts
u cannot resurface the slotted rotors.
nonsense, of course you can. can you enlighten me and explain why you cant? ive had my powerslots for almost 2 years and had both the front and rear discs resurfaced once already.

there is absolutely no difference in resurfacing a normal disc vs a slotted one. the brake machine is going to take off the same amount of material either way.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i've done a few brake jobs for my car and my friends car's and i've had the Kumhos you speak of which i liked. I have no idea personally about the powerslots, but have you looked into whether the tires were balanced correctly or if the wheels were torqued right? Cause i know from personal expierence overtighting your rims could warp your rotors.

·
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel
6,808 Posts
i was told by my mechanic as well as a performance shop that u couldnt. may be we can do the slotted ones but not the drilled ones..

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That is an excellent point - one that I've heard a few times as I asked around about my brake vibrations. I am going to take my car in to get rebalanced and make sure they torque my lugs properly first before I judge the brake disc condition.

To clarify, I talked to tech support at Powerslot, fairly helpful and very knowledgable guy. Slotted rotors CAN be resurfaced, as long as they are precise to the thousandths of an inch. Most resurfacing devices (called brake lathes) are set to turn to the hundredths of an inch. Powerslots need to be resurf'd by 0.003" - the tough part for me is finding a shop that uses a bench lathe (discs are removed and put on this bench machine, which is powered separately) and will actually attempt to perform.

In paying for labor to have this redone, it is in my better interest to just replace the discs/pads I have up front - sucks but it's a lesson i had to learn. The shop that installed my brake discs and pads did not properly measure the lateral runout of the discs after installation (they actually told me they do not do this for disc installations). It's a reputable shop in Houston, Tx too so I was surprised. Powerslot's documentation says:

"If a brake rotor assembled lateral runout (LRO) exceedes the vehicle manufacture’s maximum allowable specification it will cause a brake rotor thickness variation to develop in the brake rotor over time, usually between 3,000 - 7,000 miles. This thickness variation issue can cause brake judder and should not be confused with thermal heat brake rotor distortion."

i've done a few brake jobs for my car and my friends car's and i've had the Kumhos you speak of which i liked. I have no idea personally about the powerslots, but have you looked into whether the tires were balanced correctly or if the wheels were torqued right? Cause i know from personal expierence overtighting your rims could warp your rotors.

1,221 Posts
how do you guys warp your OEM rotors at 10K miles!?? i've been driving on these OEM rotors for 41K miles and they're not warped yet. And I brake pretty aggressively at times too. I've only had to replace my brake pads so far.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You've never seen the technical service bulletin on 7th gen 6-speed rotors being warped? It's happened to almost every 6-speed driver out there. I had to get my factories resurfaced (for free mind you b/c of the TSB) 3 times before I said screw it and bought aftermarket...look what good it did me though :confused:

how do you guys warp your OEM rotors at 10K miles!?? i've been driving on these OEM rotors for 41K miles and they're not warped yet. And I brake pretty aggressively at times too. I've only had to replace my brake pads so far.

1,221 Posts
You've never seen the technical service bulletin on 7th gen 6-speed rotors being warped? It's happened to almost every 6-speed driver out there. I had to get my factories resurfaced (for free mind you b/c of the TSB) 3 times before I said screw it and bought aftermarket...look what good it did me though :confused:
thats really weird... cuz i'm 6mt too... i haven't resurfaced my rotors yet. i didn't even resurface them when i got new hawk hps brake pads.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just had my front ones replaced under warranty a couple weeks ago. They had heat spots and slight cracking, per the dealer.

·
Hella Functional
4,960 Posts
Sounds like someone didn't do the proper rotor break in method..

30K on my Powerslots... no problems AT ALL!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts