Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is my system and how its installed:
02 accord coupe
fronts: utopia 136w components in q-forms, crossovers in glovebox; powered from ppi pcx-280.
rears: stock
sub: basslink

4awg comes from battery, splits into 2 8awg's to goto basslink and amp. 12awg stinger expert (twisted) speaker cable to front x-overs

i have a whine/noise in fronts
i read all the threads on this. i have performed the following and noise is still there:
disonnected all cables to amp and basslink
removed ground cables to chassis for amp and basslink
removed HU connections via RCA's for amp and also removed HU adapter to OEM wiring harness.....

so, all thats left in the loop are disconnected speaker cables going to the x-over and from the x-over to the speakers.....

the noise is only there when engine is on and increases with revs. i know i am passing the speaker cable close to the passenger fuse box. could this be why? (both front speakers get the whine) to remove these x-overs r gonna suck.
is there anything else i can do? please help!

·
Registered
363 Posts
You probably aren't but might as well check. Are you using cheap RCA's and are power, RCA's, and speaker lines separate? Where is the amp located? Also, I don't think this will help much, but are you using 8 awg for your amp ground?

·
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not that it matters in this case, b/c i have everything disconnected and i still have the prob
but i got the top of the line stinger rca's, power is on one side, rest of cabling on the other
amp is in the trunk
i got 8awg for gnd

·
PitchBlk, aka BigLou 7
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thought u guys might be interested in what i found out:::
all i had connected was the crossovers to the speakers
i removed the screws that held the xover to the rear of the glovebox (thought screws were grounding to metal)=noise still present
i moved the xover as far away as i could (still in the glovebox) from the rear of the glovebox=noise decreased
i removed the x-over and wires within the glovebox, put xover on the floor with speakers, totally away from glovebox=noise is gone

to test again, i picked up the xover, brought it (all hooked up to spkr) to rear of glovebox= noise back again

in conclusion, there is/was something behind the glovebox thats interfering with the sound, causing whining....

resolution= will place xovers above passenger footspace/kickpanel area

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Damn, i would have never thought that there would be something back there to mess with the sound that much....good job on figuring it out yourself too.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
it could depend on crossover design... perhaps that design on how the inductors are placed relative to the other coils.. might act as a passive noise inducer...

I have my koda crossovers installed in my glovebox without any noise... but of course that doesnt really mean much.. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts