Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
EliteCM.net
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched for about half hour and couldnt find anything about speaker wires(everything about amps and stuff but no speaker specs)

i ordered Infinity KAPPA speakers from 2 ppl on here, all 4 have 4 ohm resistance. i am hooking them up to factory wiring but i want to run wires to back for future amp installation. what gauge wires do i need? spaekers are 300W max for rear and like 225W for front.
any recomendations? or should i wait with running wires since i would have to take door apart anyway to reconect them

·
Registered
401 Posts
You should be fine with 18, 16, or 14 gauge wire, anything larger than that would be overkill. You really only need larger gauge speaker wire when you have long runs from the amp to the speaker (i.e. - 50+ feet). The longest run you would have really wouldn't be longer than 15 to 20 feet (depending on how you route it.

Since you're only installing speakers, you're going to be doing a lot of additional work to run those speaker wires. If it was me, I'd wait to run the speaker wires.

·
EliteCM.net
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i think somebody mentioned that i can get factory style connectors from circuitcity.com so i dont have cut my factory wires if i decide to put speakers back. but would it hurt if i solder 18, 16, 14 gauge wire to speakers and run it to back and hide it there somewhere for future.

would there be any distortion problems since there other wires attached(but not connected on other end) to speaker in addition to signal wires from factory HU (im just thinking it would create like antena effect or something)

i guess ill go with 16 gauge wires

·
EliteCM.net
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn, my store sells wires too. and its gona be cheap as hell on emploee purchase. lets see what we have hehe

my store has pureav by belkin wires for speakers 16 gauge 50' $34.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0204991
(emploee price $13)

or get couple of this http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0236480
Emploee price $11 and splice one end into speakers and other would be with rca connector into amp later on?

or get couple of this and splice them
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0205736
since its gona cost me $2.54 each

·
Registered
401 Posts
i think somebody mentioned that i can get factory style connectors from circuitcity.com so i dont have cut my factory wires if i decide to put speakers back.
You can get those connectors from lots of places actually. They're a good option to cutting your OEM connectors.

but would it hurt if i solder 18, 16, 14 gauge wire to speakers and run it to back and hide it there somewhere for future.
I wouldn't connect those speaker wires and then just run them to the back of your car. You're going to need to make sure that the ends are terminated properly, otherwise you could possibly damage your OEM radio's amplifier. IMHO, it's a bad idea connect wires that aren't being used. In your effort to be efficient, you're actually going to create more work for yourself.

my store has pureav by belkin wires for speakers 16 gauge 50' $34.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0204991
(emploee price $13)
That speaker wire will work.

or get couple of this http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0236480
Emploee price $11 and splice one end into speakers and other would be with rca connector into amp later on?
That is an RCA cable, not a speaker wire. You cannot connect that to your speakers.

or get couple of this and splice them
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0205736
since its gona cost me $2.54 each
Honestly, that's a bad idea.

·
Registered
117 Posts
16 awg is a good size. I always think that a lil thicker wires wouldnt hurt. It's also a good idea to solder your connections once you have everything in place.

·
Registered
117 Posts
sy272004, I dont mean to jack your thread, but do you or any one else here have a suggestion on how to run the speaker wires from inside the cabin out to the doors? Do you use a wire hanger or something? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
230 Posts
sy272004, I dont mean to jack your thread, but do you or any one else here have a suggestion on how to run the speaker wires from inside the cabin out to the doors? Do you use a wire hanger or something? Thanks in advance.
If you want, check out the tutorial I posted that's stickied in this forum.

·
EliteCM.net
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

i didnt take apart door yet but i asume run through same rubber boot as other wires for doors go through.

·
7th Gen ACcord
3,671 Posts
there two ways of doing that. you can half ass it like most audio shops and tap the speakers wires from inside the cabin. and the 2nd way is to use a long zip tie to get the wire through the rubber boot. its a big plus if you have long skinny fingers.

·
EliteCM.net
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
there two ways of doing that. you can half ass it like most audio shops and tap the speakers wires from inside the cabin. and the 2nd way is to use a long zip tie to get the wire through the rubber boot. its a big plus if you have long skinny fingers.
no half ass job for me. im gona go through rubber boot. do it right or dont do it at all

1 - 19 of 19 Posts