Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vimal (vee-mall)
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i saw this add in the good guys catalog for these subs, im not going for a earthshaking system, i just want a little more bass over the stock system. the Alpine sub comes with a specail tuned enclosure and the JL-Audio sub just comes with the standard wedge like box.

The Alpine sub with tuned enclosure is $279.99 and the Jl-Audio sub with standard box is $129.99. Is it the price of the tuned enclosure of the Alpine that makes it more expensive or is it just that the Alpine sub is much better?

one more question, would i HAVE to buy an amplifier for these subs to produce a moderate amount of bass because i really dont want to spend a few hundred bucks for an amp for just one 10" sub. or would i lose too much bass without the amp?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
ok first off, yes you need an amp....your headunit doesnt put out any power to a sub, Most HU have a 4 channel amp in them, which means it sends power to just the 4 speakers. Second, your choice on the subs depends on which series of JL you are looking at....The tunned boxes from Alpine are good....If the JL is a W0 tthen its crap...If its a W3 then they are about equal...Anything above a W3 is better. But for 129 i know its not a W6 or W7. Is it just a prefabricated box or is it a JL power wedge? JL makes some of their boxes that look like they are just prefab boxes but a tunned for the sub.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
a 10W4? they make a W4:confused:

·
Registered
966 Posts
it depends what you really want.. the JL subs produce nice bass.. but clearity of sound is not so good.. try running a rockford amp or a jl with it..its gonna knock.. i would say..getting a single 12w3v2 or a 10w3v2 would be good enough..

·
Vimal (vee-mall)
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep, its a 10W4, maybe thats why it's pretty cheap, hehe. i think im prolly gonna end up getting the 10w3v2 single with a jl amp too and maybe in the future i'll in the jl interior speakers for even more bass. thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
...adding interior speakers will not give you extended bass beyond the level of your subwoofer. I'm sorry I wish that were true, but what they will offer you(with the right install, tuning and amp) is much better extension of the critical lower midrange/upper midbass response that most everyone craves from a nice typical 6.5 or 5.25 inch speakers. The tight accurate sound of a kick-drum can only be had with interior speakers that can dish it out.. :D Please dont force your sub to play these frequencies(crossing the sub high around 90-125hz).. you'll mess up your soundstage with directional bass you can tell coming from behind you. Just alittle friendly advice to a person starting to get serious with car audio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts