Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6mt with 127k miles on what i think is original clutch but clutch is still working fine. My problem is when my car is cold and i come to a stop and shift into 1st it's really difficult to go into 1st, basically have to force it into gear with a few tries. When i shift into 2nd either a downshift or upshift the gear will feel very notchy like it's catching on something. All the problems go away and shifts like butter after the car is warmed up. My question is could this be my 1st-2nd synchro going bad or maybe just the trans fluid needs changing?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Change your transmission fluid to GM Syncrhomesh Friction Modified.

I bought my 6MT with 74,000 miles with similar issues .. 1st / 2nd gear were pretty notchy when the car was cold.

After changing to this fluid, my gear changes are buttery smooth (Now have 119,000 mi)

Make sure you get the Synchromesh * Friction Modified* fluid.

·
Bobby Lane Racing
5,679 Posts
you should always allow your transmission fluid to warm up, that's whats wrong. You're not allowing the fluid to expand, thus putting more wear on your synchros in which to a point synchromesh won't even make a difference.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
At times it's tough for me to get into 1st from a stop as well and I have the GM fluid.

·
Registered
605 Posts
where can i buy the MT fluid, i went to Autozone, Pepboys and etc and i couldn't find the lube that i need for my transmission. Maybe they ran out of it:(

·
Registered
490 Posts
you should always allow your transmission fluid to warm up, that's whats wrong. You're not allowing the fluid to expand, thus putting more wear on your synchros in which to a point synchromesh won't even make a difference.
While I agree fluid temperature plays key a role in lubricating / gear engagement, I haven't had any difficulty going into gear regardless of fluid temperature after switching to GMSFM fluid 50,000 mi ago. The first few gear changes can be a little notchy on a cold trans, but I haven't had to apply any kind of major force to get into gear, have consistent grinding or gear pop outs like I did with the Honda MTF fluid. I guess I'm basing my recommendation from my personal experience with it.

What fluid are you running in your J35 Accord?

·
Bobby Lane Racing
5,679 Posts
While I agree fluid temperature plays key a role in lubricating / gear engagement, I haven't had any difficulty going into gear regardless of fluid temperature after switching to GMSFM fluid 50,000 mi ago. The first few gear changes can be a little notchy on a cold trans, but I haven't had to apply any kind of major force to get into gear, have consistent grinding or gear pop outs like I did with the Honda MTF fluid. I guess I'm basing my recommendation from my personal experience with it.

What fluid are you running in your J35 Accord?
I use Honda OEM MTF only.

I've torn down plenty of Honda transmissions and I've seen it all. I'll tell you right now just because it feels better doesn't mean it's a good thing for your synchros. My transmission is smooth as butter using only Honda MTF. Like any mechanical part that needs lubrication. Whether engine or transmission. It's wise to warm the car up first before you operate it. Also its wise to allow the transmission to warm up as well. Which means drive a block or two first before you start hammering it in and out of gears. The fluids need to pump and lubricate.

Like you said, the first few gear changes can be notchy on a cold transmission. Imagine what is actually happening when you experience this notchy feel. Just imagine. Remember the synchros are gears as well. Notchy means the teeth are not mating correctly, mostly due to improper lubrication or worn teeth. What happens when it's feeling notchy? What is the result of that. It's only going to get worse.

I advise to do a fluid service immediately for the thread op

·
Slammed & Stunning
3,496 Posts
Had the same issue. 2nd gear was very notchy and would pop out randomly along with 3rd.
Flushed out the fluid and replaced it with AMSOIL tranny fluid. Within days it was a day and night difference. Feels like butter

·
Registered
33 Posts
My transmission feel like that sometime, my friend recommended Amsoil transmission fluid. Im probably gonna give that a try.

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
I ran redline during last winter. Warm up for 2 min in the garage and couldn't get into 2nd gear... The viscosity was too high. swap to amsoil and it stopped. I still have issue with it once in a while, but that only on really cold days *car now parked outside*. So I warm up the car a little bit more.

·
Bobby Lane Racing
5,679 Posts
i change my MTF after every track event which is once a month. However if I were to street my car, I'd change it out every other oil change.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I am having a similar problem, but mine is i can not get into second gear from first. but it only happens at lower rpm(under 3k), and at higher rpms. so i am not sure what the problem actual is. i just had my trans rebuilt and a new oem clutch put in back in august. any comments would help thanks.

·
Registered
969 Posts
yeah, because i had the same problem before but it was worse. i had a clutchmaster stage 3 in, and petal would engage close to the floor. so i brought that up thinking it would help and nothing. so i am not sure what it is i am doing wrong, but i just want to be able to shift through gears with no problem. whether it is city driving or spirited.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the help. Nighthawk do you reccomend a certain trans fluid brand at this point or is it not worth changing from the honda brand?

·
Registered
16 Posts
thats funny every1 seems to be having this problem on the 2nd and first gear. but mine is an 06 accord and i have the same problem except its going to 3rd or back to 1st. never in second so far. but thanks for all the trans fluid tips im going to have to change mine to the gm one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts