Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm primarily using my 15" MacBook Pro for photo stuff. I recently upgraded the internal drive to a 500GB, and use a WD Passport 500GB Firewire 800 capable drive for backup via Carbon Copy Cloner. This stores "most" of my photo stuff, with alternate shot stuff that I never seem to want to delete stored on my iMac since it has a bigger 1TB drive.

I hook the WD/500GB drive up to my iMac and that then gets cloned to one of two OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro 2TB external drives, an "A" and a "B" drive. Two partitions on each, one for my MBP and the other for my iMac.

The two drives aren't setup in RAID at all. I just cloned everything to my "A" drive, which is going to my secured off-site location (aka my office ;)) and then for the next month the in-home backup drive will be the "B" drive. And then I'll just rotate them back and forth once per month.

Full backups to start off, and then incremental whenever I have some more photos, so only the first full backup will take ages and the rest will go super quick. Can setup all of this automatically with the Carbon Copy Cloner program on Mac OS X.

What do you guys use? Some buddies of mine use the Internet cloud storage stuff like Carbonite, but I don't like the fact that it takes bloody ages to upload everything, and then if you have a disaster it'll take you ages to get everything back too. I'd rather have it all close by on physical drives, one on-site and the other off-site.

Cliffs:

500GB WD Passport drive backing up most photo stuff from my MacBook Pro's 500GB internal drive.

2 x 2TB external "A" and "B" drives backing up both the photo stuff again from the MBP, and everything on my iMac, alternating month to month one at a time between being a live drive and being secured off-site.

·
ex scientia vera
3,570 Posts
I use a 1TB drive through Time Machine on my MBP. It isn't ideal, but it gets the job done. I can't imagine both my external drive and internal drive taking a shat at the same time. So I chance it with a single redundncy.

Speaking of, I got a notification last night that I haven't backed up via Time Machine in....151 days! :laugh: What did I do? Yep, clicked the cancel button and moved on. :hide: I really need to plug in the external drive and do a backup.

·
Coldspeed
488 Posts
I don't have tons of pictures so I keep them all on my laptop, I have them backed up on a 1.5TB Seagate external HD though. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts