Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the weight of the stock 17 inch rim that is on 06/07 V6? I know the stock Michelin tire weights about 23 or 24 lbs , but have checked FAQ and could,nt find weight of the rim. Anyone? thanks in advance. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
oldmansi said:
Does anyone know the weight of the stock 17 inch rim that is on 06/07 V6? I know the stock Michelin tire weights about 23 or 24 lbs , but have checked FAQ and could,nt find weight of the rim. Anyone? thanks in advance. :confused:
The wheel along weighs 23.2 lbs. That does not include the tire or air. I checked it after my wife curbed one of our wheels and we had to order an extra with no tire on it.

And to ensure we are talking about the right wheel I have posted a pic below of the one I weighed.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CBRich said:
The wheel along weighs 23.2 lbs. That does not include the tire or air. I checked it after my wife curbed one of our wheels and we had to order an extra with no tire on it.

And to ensure we are talking about the right wheel I have posted a pic below of the one I weighed.

Thanks for info, I was thinking there for a while that no one would know, but I knew that someone out there would know, Just wanted to know cuz I might get other 17 inch wheels (lighter and wider) maybe 17X7 or 17X17.5 but wanted to know stock wheel weight so I could be sure to get lighter wheels. Hey, thanks again for your reply.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,655 Posts
wow stock 7th gen 17" wheel weighs too much! 23lbs is a slug! i wonder how much 6th gen v6 16inch stock rims weigh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
kleptodathief said:
wow stock 7th gen 17" wheel weighs too much! 23lbs is a slug! i wonder how much 6th gen v6 16inch stock rims weigh

Yep, they are pretty heavy. You can see from the back that they tried to cut some weight but it can only help but so much.

 

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
Joined
·
4,271 Posts
CBRich said:
The wheel along weighs 23.2 lbs. That does not include the tire or air. I checked it after my wife curbed one of our wheels and we had to order an extra with no tire on it.

And to ensure we are talking about the right wheel I have posted a pic below of the one I weighed.


Great info! Thanks :)

23.2 lbs, huh? For stock rims, that's actually not too horribly heavy. That puts the total weight with tire at around 47 lbs. IIRC, that's about 2-3 lbs lighter than the TL-S rim/tire combo.

There's definitely a lot of room for improvement there. Imagine how much better the car's performance would be with a 10-lb lighter rim at each corner :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TH23 said:
Great info! Thanks :)

23.2 lbs, huh? For stock rims, that's actually not too horribly heavy. That puts the total weight with tire at around 47 lbs. IIRC, that's about 2-3 lbs lighter than the TL-S rim/tire combo.

There's definitely a lot of room for improvement there. Imagine how much better the car's performance would be with a 10-lb lighter rim at each corner :eek:
Thats exactly what i was thinking, they say that 1 lb of weight on a rim is equal to 10 lbs of weight inside the car. So Yeah, car would be quicker no question and you could put on a 17X7 rim with 225 50 tire for a little improvement in handling. Even if you got a rim at 17 lbs, you would save 5 lbs at each corner. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
CBRich said:
Yep, they are pretty heavy. You can see from the back that they tried to cut some weight but it can only help but so much.
Don't let them fool you, they are cutting cost, not weight... The less metal they use, the more wheels they can make! :)
 

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
Joined
·
4,271 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember them weighing about 25-26 lbs, and close to 50 lbs with a new tire.
 
Joined
·
1,221 Posts
TH23 said:
Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember them weighing about 25-26 lbs, and close to 50 lbs with a new tire.
so 6mt is heavier than at wheels? :( why would they make the "sport model's" wheels heavier? :[[[[
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
k.heiner said:
Don't let them fool you, they are cutting cost, not weight... The less metal they use, the more wheels they can make! :)
I'm pretty sure the only thing coming out of the back of the spokes is shavings. And unless they melt that down to make another giant chunk of metal to make another wheel out of (and even if they do that) they won't be saving any money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
CBRich said:
I'm pretty sure the only thing coming out of the back of the spokes is shavings. And unless they melt that down to make another giant chunk of metal to make another wheel out of (and even if they do that) they won't be saving any money.

They do, and they save tons of money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
imnotmatt1189 said:
so 6mt is heavier than at wheels? :( why would they make the "sport model's" wheels heavier? :[[[[
It is also in the 7th gen faq's. Say's weight w/ tire is 50lbs. Listed as 01 CL-S wheel.

Honestly, I'd just pull one off and weigh it.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top