Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guyz. I have a 98 V6 accord and a 01 i4 accord. They both have intakes, but i still cant hear or feel when VTEC engages in the i4. In the V6 i can hear the tone change completely at about 3500 RPMs but in the i4 i dont hear any sort of tone change at any RPM. Is my VTEC not engaging? or is it just a less aggressive VTEC as compared to the V6? Thanks

·
863 Posts
less agressive I believe. I know on the f22b1 (5th gen sohc vtec), the activation point is 2.3 to 2.5k. The tone change your describing is just the powerband.

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
between 2300 and 3900 rpm based on manifold pressure

·
Registered
253 Posts
the v6 i cant notice vtec kick in, but i can hear the crossover point at 3500 rpm's. in my I4 accord i can hear vtec kick in around 5200 - 5400 rpm's. btw, i have a cold air intake.

·
5,056 Posts
4DoorVTEC said:
the v6 i cant notice vtec kick in, but i can hear the crossover point at 3500 rpm's. in my I4 accord i can hear vtec kick in around 5200 - 5400 rpm's. btw, i have a cold air intake.
Impossible. You're probably hearing a resonance in the intake manifold or something.

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID2006?mid=20010221001314&mime=asc&archives=t

HIGH-SPEED OPERATION
Between 2300 and 3900 rpm (depending on manifold pressure) in the 4-cylinder engine, and at 3500 rpm in the V-6, the intake valve timing switches to a high-performance mode.

·
Registered
253 Posts
no its possible alright, i can hear it. not as clearly as DOHC but its noticeable. i'll try to make a video sum day.

·
863 Posts
as said before, it's just the powerband. My NON-vtec civic made the same noise. It's not vtec.

It's a low rpm, fuel efficiency based system

·
5,056 Posts
4DoorVTEC said:
no its possible alright, i can hear it. not as clearly as DOHC but its noticeable. i'll try to make a video sum day.
ok :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
i'll see if i can make the video this weekend. u guys might be right about the vtec, it might not be that, i think it is, but u guys know more than me, lol.

·
5,056 Posts
4DoorVTEC said:
i'll see if i can make the video this weekend. u guys might be right about the vtec, it might not be that, i think it is, but u guys know more than me, lol.
video will not prove anything other than that something sounds different around the rpm you mentioned. just rig up a vtec light.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vtec Light?!?!

dude are u kidding me!?! how can i get a vtec light? that its friggin SWEET!!...unless its just a simple led connected to my tachometer that turns on a certain rpm...but even if it is....THATS SWEET!! tell me more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
trapshot68 said:
tap the lead going to the vtec solenoid. It's not really that cool. It's more a confirmation that the solenoid/ecu works.
or instead of running a wire to the engine bay you could just pull up the ecu and tap into the vtec sol. wire there... little easier.

·
5,056 Posts

1 - 20 of 25 Posts