Accord V6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
The Jester
1,352 Posts
When I dipped my 19" HFPs I used cans not the sprayable quart/gallon PDS. According to Fonzie, you want 50-75% coverage on the first coat which is the technique that I personally used. I know others spray the first coat on very lightly - but I'm such a texture freak I'd be afraid of that causing it - not being sprayed evenly all over the surface. You can reference my pics above though to see my first coat - harder to see coverage being gunmetal gray over graphite pearl though so it may look more covered than it is

The pearlizer is definitely thinner than regular PDS - I learned that when I used it on my wheels. You really have to be careful and watch or else you'll get runs. This was the first time I sprayed Pearlizer with a gun and on the entire car - I did get a very minute run on the trunk lid and another minute one under the passenger side mirror but all in all I'd say that's pretty damn good being my first dip job haha
Good to know on the running, however I meant if after your first coat if you wen't for higher coverage than what you did on the first coat?
I'm not sure just how thick they want it applied and have had trouble with orange peel/particulates, I really need to figure out how to fully clean all the nooks in this gun as that's been my texture issue before.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I use naphta thinner to clean the gun. I took the gun apart and dumped all of the parts into the hopper filled with naphta for only a minute or two. Then remove them and dry them real good with a clean dry microfiber. Dip your microfiber towel in the hopper and clean the rest of the gun by hand, including using the needle removal tool. Fonzie has a video on YouTube specifically how they clean it at DYC.

Yes, my second and additional coats were thicker than the first. Watch a bunch of their videos to see exactly how they are spraying it. With normal PDS you can go panel by panel but with Pearlizer, Top Coat, Glossifier, etc. (all of the thinner dips) you want to run the entire length of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Under $500 for everything shipped :D :up2:

Exactly a 1/4 of what a wrap job was going to cost me and that's more permanent. This way, if I get tired of it I can dip over it or peel it off :yes:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Reactions: Rich01

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
lol I know I was just thinking that! ;) Thanks ike!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ben, sorry I'm a little late to the party. Congrats on a job well done. Those pics look exactly like the results Fonzie got on the Audi.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Wow thanks Rich! That's a real compliment considering this was my first dip job and he's done 5 jobs per week for the past 5 years! LOL :D

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Alright, sexy pic time! Look at that sheen :D

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
lmao! Priceless!

2007...I think you've got me beat ha! That's okay her real name is Tawonda (T for short) ;)

Thanks bud!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Before:

OEM GP:

Masking off:

First coat matte black still wet:

First coat dry:

Sixth coat matte black:

Glossifier:

Unmasked still drying:

Will have to get pics in the sun after she dries over night :)

·
6 Speed-O
68 Posts
Great job once again Ben. And thanks for the documentation, I will vinyl wrap my roof glossy black as well [mine is already white :)]
Too much on my to do list but I will eventually get to it, I'm behind on my mods with parts and materials waiting to be installed.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I custom retrofitted 3rd generation Acura TL Bixenon (low & high beam) projectors into our stock halogen housings :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Custom color-matched my winter wheels - all thanks to my discussion with Jamm ;)

From this:

Five coats matte white:

First coat pearl:

Second coat pearl:

Color comparison before install:

Final outcome (I actually love it - wasn't sure if I would...I was just going to stick with matte white but I was afraid it was clash with the pearl car):

21 - 40 of 41 Posts