Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody's cars get damaged?

We were actually up in Clarksburg north of where we live at the time and I could see the thing passing to the south of us from East to West. Up there we just got hit by the edges of it but it was still pretty nasty. Looks like the epicenter was right in Rockville/Bethesda, and along the northern portions of the DC/MD I-495 Beltway.

We didn't quite come away unscathed.

5DMkII + 70-200mm, wider shot.

200mm

100% crop from the above 21MP shot, 300mm what? :gapteeth:

So we didn't quite escape unscathed. Just two rows of siding on the very top of our house that we'll have to have replaced. Tracking down a roofing/siding contractor.

We don't feel too bad compared to the people across the street from us though.

NOT OUR HOUSE, OUR NEIGHBORS

:eek:

Apparently the roofs blew off of some apartment buildings over near College Park (UMD)

We were without power since about 3pm yesterday, and it finally kicked back on between 5 and 6am. We just went up to Penn State to get a load of their ice cream and crap last week (world famous, even bubba (Clinton) had to stop there just for that) so I was gonna be pissed if it all melted, but fortunately our new fridge apparently has HELLA GOOD insulation and it made it 14 hours with no power and kept stuff frozen. It was just soft, but not melted. I ran to the local grocery store and got 3 of the last 5 bags of ice and shoved one in there and that might have saved it.

It was funny. I was lying awake last night at like 330am (too hot to sleep well) and noticed the lights in the neighborhood flicker on. An instant later there was a big *KABOOOM* from across the street and then everything was dark again, everything including the lights across the road (industrial buildings) that were already on before. :laugh: About 10 minutes later I hear a fire engine, LOL. A half hour to an hour later it happened again and the power stayed back on for a minute maybe until another *KABOOOOM* and dark once again. :p My wife heard the first bang and didn't believe me that the power had come back on at all and I started to think maybe I was hallucinating, but she witnessed all of round 2 so I know it was real. After that finally a breeze started to pick up and ventilate the house a little so I could actually get to sleep.

Last night: 205,000 of 305,000 Pepco customers in MoCo were without power.
This morning: 175,000 of 305,000 Pepco customers in MoCo were without power.

So we were among the first 30,000 restored out of 200k+ out of power and it took them 14 hours until around 5-6am to get it done, that's how bad it is! We must be off of a pretty major grid because normally we're back online within an hour or two. Not this time!

·
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sunset is ALWAYS spectacular after severe storms roll through though. :)

Canon S90:

Heard on WTOP that some roofs got ripped off of apartment complexes near College Park? WOW? Anybody got any pics? Did a twister really touch down? Heard that one might have but haven't seen confirmation.

·
J35 6Spd
6,107 Posts
Right after the storm I was driving my gf and her new Z4 up to Olney, Maryland from my place in VA..... and 270/355 were a warzone. Most of the traffic lights were out with no one directing traffic, some trees were flattened as if a tornado hit. Intersections like connecticuit ave & georgia ave were a nightmare trying to make a left turn with everyone honking and trying to drive through at the same time.

·
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I hear you on the chaos factor at intersections. "THE LAW" says that when an intersection has dead signals that it effectively becomes a 4-WAY STOP, except that most people just keep on driving right through. If you try to do what you're supposed to do and stop the idiots behind you might not be expecting you to stop and rear-end you. It's just nuts. Pulling out of my development onto a main local road this morning the light was out, and traffic just kept on moving for the most part with some people in ONE lane of 3 randomly stopping trying to obey the law and others just kept on going. So I just pulled out and blocked traffic from one side until the other side got the hint and stopped also so that I could make my left turn. :smash:

<---- Likes having a flaming bright red car. NOBODY misses it. :yes:

Yesterday driving back south from Clarksburg on I-270 there were tree branches and foliage and crap everywhere, and then the drains were plugged up so there were giant pools of water 1+ feet deep right on the through lanes of 270. NICE.

·
J35 6Spd
6,107 Posts
most people were following the 4-way stop pattern..... but at big intersections EVERYONE would start going again at once, and then just sit and honk at each other. I got in a middle lane and used the cars on either side as armor in case someone decided not to stop crossing the street =P By far the most nerve racking intersection was making a left from connecticuit onto georgia ave.

I heard one of the water treatment plants in that area also got knocked out and people couldn't use city water until this morning.

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
Ohh, yeah, had heavy light flickers, but only went totally out for maybe 2 mins, I am just very glad ALL of my expesive electronics are plugged into computer UPS units, they provide a good gap between the power lines and the devices so surges don't get thru to the device. And the winds were nasty here, it would not surprise me if there were some micro-bursts mixed in.

·
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*KABOOM*

And out the power went again as of 4 this morning. :p

This transformer that keeps blowing across the street when they try to switch more grids on is killing us since it's like artillery firing. :laugh:

·
i haz vtec
1,561 Posts
i was on 29 for most of the storm driving to rockville. People still need to learn to treat dead signals like Stop signs in this area

1 - 12 of 12 Posts