Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im looking to buy new shocks for my 03 accord coupe, and want to know if the ones that fit the V6 will fit my I4. Are they the same?

·
NVR 4GTN
594 Posts
oh yes they will fit ... however you will have about a 2 fist finger gap. We did this on 99vtecaccord's car w/ my stock springs and wow!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't think you will have a problem with the shocks, especially if the shocks are dampening adjustable at all. The parts of the suspension that the shocks mount on are going to be exactly the same for the I4's as they are for the V6's. As long as you use a spring meant for the I4 or are on coilovers then it shouldn't matter. Even then, there are people who use the entire hfp suspension package on their I4's, including the springs. Hell, there are a few people using tein flex coilovers from the TSX on their V6's...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i was looking at the TOKICO HP STRUTS/SHOCKS but the seller says they only fit the v6. Hows that possible?
Ps: Im already on tein springs, but hitting a pot hole messed up to dropzone shocks. Bad quality! They have only been on the car for 3 months.

·
NVR 4GTN
594 Posts
well it is not actually just for v-6's physically however it will not give you the same ride height as if you bought the same set up only for an I-4.

·
Registered
351 Posts
springs determine ride height, not shocks, unless they are height adjustable in some way. Shocks meant for the V6 should not affect your ride height.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still dont get it. If it fits both cars then how will ride height be different? Are the V6 models lower stock ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I still dont get it. If it fits both cars then how will ride height be different? Are the V6 models lower stock ?
IT WON'T! Again, SPRINGS determine ride height, SHOCKS do not, unless they are height adjustable.

Broken angel did not understand your concern and was assuming that you meant both struts and springs for whatever reason. :confused::confused:

·
NVR 4GTN
594 Posts
the v-6 models are heavier, well the engine is anyways so the springs have a tighter coil than the 4 cyc. causing the 4cyc to be pushed upward (ride higher)

·
DIY Mania
194 Posts
jamal81, the shocks for V6 should physically fit I4. You might want to call Tokico directly to find out.

Broken Angel, your info is misleading. You installed V6 shocks AND springs to an I4. Of course the front end will sit higher because of the firmer spring rates.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jamal81, the shocks for V6 should physically fit I4. You might want to call Tokico directly to find out.

Broken Angel, your info is misleading. You installed V6 shocks AND springs to an I4. Of course the front end will sit higher because of the firmer spring rates.
Thansk for the info. I emailed them and they said it will only fit a V6 which i found very strange

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
Thansk for the info. I emailed them and they said it will only fit a V6 which i found very strange
The V6 struts are also stiffer due to the heavier weight of the front end, granted it is olny abotu 150-200lbs heavier, but that is enogh to change the handeling charectoristics, especially if talking about a finely tuned performance setup, will the V6 struts bolt up, yes, would it work with your tiens, yes, may is ride harsher than if you had the 4 cyl struts, yes.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The V6 struts are also stiffer due to the heavier weight of the front end, granted it is olny abotu 150-200lbs heavier, but that is enogh to change the handeling charectoristics, especially if talking about a finely tuned performance setup, will the V6 struts bolt up, yes, would it work with your tiens, yes, may is ride harsher than if you had the 4 cyl struts, yes.
I considered that, but I guess I can't imagine what the difference would be other than maybe an undetectable amount of more understeer. Also, would this really matter if the shocks are dampening adjustable?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see...

Thanks for the info. What kind of struts do you recommend that are best value for money. I now know dropzones are crap.. but Koni yellows are a bit too expensive..

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would not recommend konis. I had some bad experiences with mine. Unlike the oem, hfp, and some aftermarket coilovers, the konis rely completely on the clamping force of the pinch bolt to keep the shock propperly positioned in the fork. This seems like a bad idea to me for a car that is daily driven. My passenger front shock slipped down twice and broke off the little tab used for mounting. The problem is, it didn't just slip, it actually sheared through some of the metal in the shockbody, leading me to believe that they aren't using as high quality a material as they should be using. Anyway, 600 bucks wasted on the supercup kit is what I ended up w/. I will have to send my front passenger side shock in to be fixed as they will not cover it under warranty for a second time and I'm not going to sell a set of damaged shocks. This has happened to a couple other people that I know of, so it is kind of annoying that they won't cover it. If I had it to do over again, I would look a little more seriously at tokico shocks (I think they have an adjustable shock for our cars now), or even the eibach pro-kit system shocks/springs if not coilovers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts