Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Just have a quick question to the people that are trying to reduce the weight in their vehicles. Do you know, if the TL front sub frame and maybe the rear would fit into our Accords?

The reason I ask is that I believe ours are made from steel, while the TL sub frames are made from aluminium. I was wondering if anyone knew how much weight would be saved and even if this was possible?

The TL sub frame is a bit more then the Accord one (1100$ vs 600$) but I was wondering if this might be a viable solution, since from what I have been able to read on the site, the TL j32a is a straight drop and play application, so wouldn't the front sub frame also fit perhaps?

·
TrakCord
1,485 Posts
i cant justify to spend 1100 buks for 20 lbs or so weight reduction but i do think it is possible

·
Registered
567 Posts
+2

Just drive around with a 1/4 tank of gas.

Like you really enjoy filling the whole tank for $70.

Paying $1100 for this is complete insanity.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fair enough, I do realize that there are other options, I was just inquiring if it would be at all possible to do if someone wanted to do it.

As well, I thought that maybe the weight difference was a little more then the 20 lbs.

I was just thinking in terms of cost/lb, if you look at it per lb, it works out to 55$ a pound... Now a carbon fibre hood with shipping, would set me back at least close to 400-500$, I don't know how much weight you would shed by going to a carbon fibre hood etc. but lets say 10 lbs, so you are still looking at 40-50$/lb. Hence I was curious as to the actual weight difference between the two parts.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The next TL I do clutch service for I will weigh it.
That would be great, and cubano, I know it was an estimate etc, I just don't think people realize how much it costs them per unit to reduce weight. I mean like some said there are other ways, I mean you could rip out all your interior and lose the weight for free. Or get light weight rims, which I think would end up costing more per pound saved then the subframe.

Nighthawk any idea what the accord sub frame weighs?

·
Bobby Lane Racing
5,679 Posts
That would be great, and cubano, I know it was an estimate etc, I just don't think people realize how much it costs them per unit to reduce weight. I mean like some said there are other ways, I mean you could rip out all your interior and lose the weight for free. Or get light weight rims, which I think would end up costing more per pound saved then the subframe.

no idea. never scaled it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
How much would a used one go for from the wrecking yard?

If you also bought the j32 or tranny with it?

·
TrakCord
1,485 Posts

ye 20 lbs isnt worth it at all...if it were 50lbs i would say maybe...but they state in the article that it reduces vibration throughout and increases chassis rigidity...so unless that was the case its hard to justify 1100 buks even 700 or 800 buks is rediculous

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,786 Posts
Brand new, personally I would not spend that amount.

Now, if you could buy it used and cheaper, I would definitely do it. It would be less weight AND an increase in chassis rigidity(if true). 2 bangs for 1 buck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds good I don't think you will find it for less then 1100 new. So the comparison between the 3g tl subframe was that against the 2g cl? Or what were they comparing it too? Like I mentioned I know the 7g accord has a steel subframe and the 3g tl is aluminum. I would think that the piece is fairly big so the difference between thew two metals could be more the 20 lbs. - guess the only real way to figure it out would be to actaully weigh both pieces.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
don't believe it know it that's alot of money (but if you got it like that do it...the car is heavy because of the airbags, noise dampaning material, extra seats well you might as well just get another car and strip it down that's the best way to do it...but if you can take the noise on a daily bases then strip that thing down

·
TrakCord
1,485 Posts
i dont know if i would trust a subframe from the junkyard...those cars have been in major accidents and twisted the entire chassis so the subframe could be tweaked...the design of the aluminum subframe is to be super rigid and is a major part of the stiffness and structure of the front end which means it does not tolerate flex well and any stress could cause fractures not able to be seen by the eye...or the whole frame could be bent and you will never know until you go to mount it...its either all or nothin in this case you either spend 1100 or dont...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts