Accord V6 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
just a quick thought,

couldn't I just call one of those online places that sells both honda and acura parts, and just ask them how much the shipping weight is for both pieces?

I think that should give us a good idea as to how much each piece weighs...

·
TrakCord
1,485 Posts
just a quick thought,

couldn't I just call one of those online places that sells both honda and acura parts, and just ask them how much the shipping weight is for both pieces?

I think that should give us a good idea as to how much each piece weighs...
that would give you the weight difference i think but not the actual weight because of the box weight and packing material etc..but please let us know of your findings that is a good idea

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
well, it turns out it is being harder then I thought to find out the shipping weight of these two parts, hopefully I will have some numbers today! Once I tell them I am calling from Canada they just say they won't ship such a heavy part.

Anyways, for anyone interested in giving it a go, and see what prices they can get here are the part numbers, I have added the weights that I was told:

05 Accord v6 6 speed sub frame is 50200-SDB-A01 (72 LBS)

06 TL sub frame is 50200-SEP-A03 (14 LBS)

So you are looking at saving almost 60lbs........ plus added rigidity and reduced vibration. It would also seem that all accord v6's use the same sub frame, and for the most part, all TL's use the same sub frame from 05-06.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah that is what I found for shipping weights, however, I would still double check them with both weights.

As well, I would assume the accord v6 auto sub frame is even heavier yet...

·
Saiken
473 Posts
This is a great idea. I had no idea that the Tl's had aluminum subframes, but I think there are two important facts to consider:

1. The steel subframe is weight located at the lowest point of the car so it will act to lower the center of gravity. Lowering subframe weight will elevate the center of gravity. It would be better to have weight reduction higher up on the car, but that is probably something for the manufacturers to consider.

2. Density of aluminum = 2.7g/ cubic centimeter
Density of steel = approx 8.05 g/cubic centimeter
A steel subframe that weighs in at 100lbs would only weigh 33lbs if made from Aluminum

Have you guys looked into the toyota FT-86 that is supposed to be released later this year? It looks promising in the weight distribution/handling category. Itll be my next car when I finish school.

·
TrakCord
1,485 Posts
This is a great idea. I had no idea that the Tl's had aluminum subframes, but I think there are two important facts to consider:

1. The steel subframe is weight located at the lowest point of the car so it will act to lower the center of gravity. Lowering subframe weight will elevate the center of gravity. It would be better to have weight reduction higher up on the car, but that is probably something for the manufacturers to consider.

2. Density of aluminum = 2.7g/ cubic centimeter
Density of steel = approx 8.05 g/cubic centimeter
A steel subframe that weighs in at 100lbs would only weigh 33lbs if made from Aluminum

Have you guys looked into the toyota FT-86 that is supposed to be released later this year? It looks promising in the weight distribution/handling category. Itll be my next car when I finish school.
i have mixed feelings here...i believe any weight reduction is essential regardless high or low it will have positive effects...now if you were required to relocate a certain amount of weight without removing it then yes it should be as low as possible...i may agree with you if someone was attempting to fabricate their own subframe without knowledge of stress points and rigidity but honda created an aluminum subframe for the TL for a good reason im sure because it has more advantages than just alleviating weight

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
i have mixed feelings here...i believe any weight reduction is essential regardless high or low it will have positive effects...now if you were required to relocate a certain amount of weight without removing it then yes it should be as low as possible...i may agree with you if someone was attempting to fabricate their own subframe without knowledge of stress points and rigidity but honda created an aluminum subframe for the TL for a good reason im sure because it has more advantages than just alleviating weight
if someone wanted to even out the weight loss, I am sure you could check if the rear sub frame also fits on the accord and TL. That way you are both lightening up your front and rear.

Someone should go take a TL for a "test drive" from the dealer ship, and swap out the subframes during the "test drive" and then return it and say it drives like crap.. .hahaha jk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm guessing the 2007 Acura TL subframe is out of the picture...:confused:
it might work, if you look at the part coding the 07 is most likely an 04 ending while the 08 is an 05. But if you compare the parts, they say it is replaced by 05..

So I am unsure how that would work,

here is a link showing the differences..... and if you look the parts up the 07 shows something different..... so I have no idea

Difference between UA6 and UA7 subframe? - AcuraZine Community

·
DAT Dewd from Dallas MANG
1,533 Posts
yo...

I looked at one in person today...the subframe will work on our cars...unfortunately the 2004 acura tl I worked on had a motor just put in it...previous motor blew during dyno tuning....this winter will be the earliest this car goes down for engine service....if the 5at craps out before then it might happen earlier....the frame also looks to be thinner in several areas so I wonder if you need all new fasteners as well...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
not to sure, but seeing as the j32 is a drop in into our 7th gens, I can't see there being that much issues etc with replacing the subframe, besides the cost and time involved.

·
J30 LSD
797 Posts
it might work, if you look at the part coding the 07 is most likely an 04 ending while the 08 is an 05. But if you compare the parts, they say it is replaced by 05..

So I am unsure how that would work,

here is a link showing the differences..... and if you look the parts up the 07 shows something different..... so I have no idea

Difference between UA6 and UA7 subframe? - AcuraZine Community
Hey thanks alot for the link :up: I checked it out and did a bit of research on my own and will be making a call or to out to some online vendors. I am curious to know who manufactures the subframes for honda/acura but specifically for 04-07 TL

I see that there are some minor differences when comparing the two from the photos but we know the best way to view is up close to the real thing.

I just need to somehow get my hands on a 7th gen subframe (not sure if the sedan differs from the coupe) and then get my hands on the TL front and rear for some comparison photo shots.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hey thanks alot for the link :up: I checked it out and did a bit of research on my own and will be making a call or to out to some online vendors. I am curious to know who manufactures the subframes for honda/acura but specifically for 04-07 TL

I see that there are some minor differences when comparing the two from the photos but we know the best way to view is up close to the real thing.

I just need to somehow get my hands on a 7th gen subframe (not sure if the sedan differs from the coupe) and then get my hands on the TL front and rear for some comparison photo shots.

Ran a part number check this is what I got for 50200-SDB-A01

All 03-05 v6 coupes regardless of tranny
All 03-05 V6 Sedans

As long as its a V6, you should be fine, I figure the i4's won't work because they have a different sub frame, and the TL never came in a I4 trim, however, I wonder if the TSX is alum, and would work for the I4s.......

****** And I would double check on the 07 sub frame, because if you run 50200-SEP-A04, it is replaced by 50200-SEP-A05, and looking at the link it says 50200-SEP-A05 is for 08 which it is. I wonder if somewhere along the line they changed the mounts etc on the sub frame. Safe bet would be a used 07 subframe, or a new 04-06

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
i have a 07 tl-s and first thing i noticed when i looked under my car is the aluminum front subframe. its noticeably different material and looks lighter too. i used to have an 06 accord and the subframe definitely looks different(as this thread indicates)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts